HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2002, 03:32 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Graupner ARF: Spirit of St. Louis?

I was at a local hobby shop today and noticed the Graupner Spirit of St Louis parkfly model on the shelf. The sales cleck said it had been there since middle of October. It's all wooden and not a foamie. Price is €89.

I asked to look inside the box and started inspecting the ARF construction. The assembly instructions say "Made in Czech Repulic," which doesn't surprise me. Basically, the prefab and precovered (with Oracover) parts look okay, although there was lots of covering that need a little heat gun blast. There was also very minor warping (to which I wondered, should there be any warping?) that could easily be corrected. And one or two wooden edges didn't look aligned within expected tolerance (to which I also wondered, should they be perfect?), but here I could be wrong. I was only eye-balling the model.

Nonetheless it's a nice little model and I've thought about buying one. But it's still very new on the market and I'm not aware of any reviews yet. I'd like to know more before spending money for a kit that, for many reasons, may end up sitting in a cue of kits that still need assembly but won't reach that stage until many months or years down the line. Like some modelers, I tend to build what spontaneuously spurs my interest at whatever time I decide to start building [something].

Has anyone something to report about Graupner's Spirit of St. Louis parkflyer? Did I miss an E Zone review, by any chance?
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Nov 22, 2002 at 03:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2002, 02:20 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
Have I been the only modeler to consider, or even see, this model? Two days and roughly 38 hits on this thread makes me wonder.

I know it’s pretty new to the market, but I doubt I’m the first to consider it.

Oh, and list price is €89 euros——some stores just do not bother providing a discount. Last night I saw an ad listing it for €78 euros.
Last edited by James Frolik; Nov 24, 2002 at 02:27 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 02:25 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I hereby desginate you the official test pilot. Go get it and report to us all about it

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Nov 24, 2002, 09:20 AM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I'd spent my money on something else - the real one didn't fly easily- needed hands on all the time. If its been on the shelf all these months, it should tell you something. Also, if you are new to this area of the sport, I'd tend to chose something with a success story so you can rely on others here at the Ezone for additional help.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:23 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
>>If its been on the shelf all these months, it should tell you something.<<

Wait a minute, if my math is any good at all, and the LHS has had it on their shelf since the middle of Oct., that would be about one month. I think that it is telling you that it is a new model that people are waiting to hear some reports on before making a purchase. Not a bad approach.

I saw this model at the Nuremberg Toy Fair last Feb. The sample at the show was attractive and I liked the all wood construction. If memory serves me right it was set up similar to the Monsun (also from Graupner) with a geared Speed 400. I have not flown the model or even seen it fly, so I can't say how it will be. Hobby Lobby has had samples on order since last Feb. When it is available with English instructions HL will have them. I'm sure that someone on Ezone will do a review.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:32 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
At this particular hobby shop, which caters to all hobbies like a Toys-R-Us, the Graupner Spirit of St. Louis hasn't "been on the shelf all these months," but rather about 5 weeks. This is not unusual for this kind of store—they're not the cheapest place around either. And in the past 5 weeks I haven't visited the better shops in the Cologne area due to a mobility injury I sustained.

I'm also not new to parkfly models, although my main activity is typically with larger models. I'm just wondering if anybody has flown this model. It appears not many people who read these threads are familiar with it or there'd likely be more posts.

As for spending my money on something else, I'd like to hear something about this kit first. I do have one trusted aquaintance, Jürgen Heilig, and he tests a lot of manufacturers' prototype and first-run production models. He didn't receive a Spirit of St. Louis from Graupner, although he did get the Bee Gee (see Bee Gee thread). Maybe he didn't ask for the Spirit because is wasn't available yet—they typically send him whatever he requests. Then, maybe, he wasn't interested (or impressed) with the Spirit of St. Louis.

Now that I think of it, why the heck don't I just ask him? Shucks! He only lives about 10km south of me. This weekend he's been at the European Indoor Flying Championships near Lille, France. I'll phone him this evening...

Mike:

I'll get on Jürgen's back about possibly doing a review or discussion group thread on this kit. The more I think about it, he's a much, much better candidate than I would ever be. I'm still trying to finish a foamie I started last winter here in Germany!

The recommended power setup for the Spirit is a Speed 400/6v with 2.33:1 gearbox, 8x4 Slim Prop and 8 x 500AR cells. Although the kit notes that instructions are in German, English and French, the kit I looked at only had A4-page copies (with pictures) in German and French. I read through parts and they appeared very complete; but they were stapled together and this is quite unlike the instructions I'm familiar with in other Graupner kits. I attribute the unusual instructions to the contracted Czech manufacturing.
Last edited by James Frolik; Nov 24, 2002 at 10:42 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 11:19 AM
What extra weight???
Dayton, Ohio
Joined Oct 2002
114 Posts
At my LHS yesterday and noticed the Great Planes version of the plane in question is on the cover of the winter issue of Backyard Flyer. Eee http://www.backyardflyer.com/toc_pages/win03.asp to check it out.
denfam4 is offline Find More Posts by denfam4
Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:29 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1 Posts
Woaw !!

I can't even believe no one tryed this model ever. The last messages are from 2002 ! Well I bought one really recently... if no one has built it since 2002 and could tell me what I will be facing, I'm gonna be worrying about this.
I hope new answers or threads....
lion is offline Find More Posts by lion
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:41 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
Like I said,
"I'd spent my money on something else - the real one didn't fly easily- needed hands on all the time. If its been on the shelf all these months, it should tell you something. "
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,057 Posts
I got one

And it flies pretty well. Just took out the electronics to put in another model. Model is kind of heavy and flies faster than scale. I like scale flight so will probably just hang it from the ceiling. But it isn't a bad flyer, just fast because of the weight. Looks really nice in the air. I flew mine with a 2s 800mah lipo. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:28 PM
South Carolina
Joined Dec 2002
194 Posts
I have one of these new in the box. I had thought about the Great Planes version but it seemed a little too involved for a foamie. I bought the Dare kit before i found the Graupner ARF. I love the looks of mine, so i will be assembling it sometime, its about two planes down on my To Do list. Glad to hear its a decent flyer, i dont mind it being a little off on scale speed. If i get tired of it or move on, i will hang mine up just to look at..
ksavage68 is offline Find More Posts by ksavage68