Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:00 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Build Log
Ion-X to X2 Conversion Log

Hello guys,

As some of you know I am working on converting my Ion-X to the new X2 version. I will use this thread to log my progress, experience and test flights.

Here are the main reasons I chose to convert the Ion:

1) To eliminate the secondary gear which in my case wore out fairly rapidly.
2) To be able to fit (under canopy) larger capacity TP 5000mAh packs for increased power, flight time and performance.
3) To have the option of going 12S down the road with an Actro motor and belt drive.

MA sent me the beef'd up double main gear which handles the higher voltage setups. I will however keep it at 10S for now. The gear ratio I chose was 20.05:1 which is very close to my current 20:1 ratio. I'm expecting a strong performance increase just by being able to fit the stronger 5000 TP cells. Later on I am planning on at least going 11S and maybe trying a flybarless setup.

Feel free to post comments or suggestions as I go along with the build thread.

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Conversion Kit

Here is the conversion kit as it arrived out of the box.

The kit is contained in four bags. In general, the conversion kit includes the new main frame and attach hardware, the motor mount, main gear, the belt, pulleys, battery velcro and some servo linkages.

The manual was sent via an e-mail link which opened up a PDF file that I could print. It consists of a photographic documentation of an Ion-X2 kit built from scratch with assembly notes. It is much smaller (quicker to go through) than the original X1 assembly manual.

Chachin..
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:24 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Before Pics

Here are the official before pictures of the Ion.

Chachin..
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Disassembly begins

Of course, the conversion begins by stripping down and disassembling the main frame of the X1. It is essentially a kit re-build with the exception of the rotor head and tail section.

I began by removing the main blades and the battery mounting plates for ease of access. I then proceeded to remove ALL electronics from the heli.

Too bad I have to go to work now . More to come tomorrow as I continue to remove the head, tail and take apart the frame.

Chachin..
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:28 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,415 Posts
Chachin,

Thanks for this thread. I'll be looking to do the same conversion with my DS Neu setup later this year. What gears and pulleys did you get from MA for the 20.05 ratio? Tooth numbers on double main, main pinion, pulley, and motor pulley/pinion. Thanks mate.

Cheers,
Tom C
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:30 AM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Hello Tom, here are the tooth counts:

> Double Main Gear = 93t
> Pinion gear = 12t
> Idler shaft pulley = 44t
> Motor pulley = 17t

All numbers were double checked. This actually gives a gear ratio closer to 20.06:1 (the number is 20.588...). I would be very interested in your experience with the X2 upgrade as well . I may try an 11S setup with the Neumotor. We'll see.

Got the rotor head, main gear and tail boom removed from the frame.

Chachin..
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:33 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Looking good, i am surprised at how big a job this is.

Please keep the thread updated so we can all follow the ride.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:36 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Yeah it's pretty much a re-build... hehe. Having to change out the frames is what makes it so much work. I will keep the thread updated.

Got the landing gear, secondary gear assembly, rear U-channel, tail boom holder case and fwd/aft bearing blocks removed.

I should have more time available to work on it tomorrow. I'm very close to beginning the actual assembly .

Chachin..
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hoschton,Georgia
Joined Oct 2003
447 Posts
Looking good. I am running my first X2 conversion with a 1521 1.5 on 12s with a 19.33:1 ratio. It is a very hot setup! You guys will love the X2.
MUDBOGGER2 is offline Find More Posts by MUDBOGGER2
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:20 AM