HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:25 AM
Progress not Perfection
Palmdale, Ca.
Joined Dec 2005
438 Posts
Discussion
What Products Would U Like To See In A USA Based Online Hobbystore?

Guys I need your help, I'm designing an online hobby shop and I would like to know which brands and types of helis,motors,esc,batteries,servos,blades, swash plates,spare parts radios,hardware,etc,etc,etc, you would like to have in stock. Of course at killer prices and second to none customer service.
Thanks for your input, It will serve all of us.
Jack
WestCoasteHobbies
wilscor41 is offline Find More Posts by wilscor41
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:13 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,005 Posts
Dunno. IMO that's a tough call. Overseas shops can do MUCH better pricewise and surprisingly Shipping from the EAST is often faster and almost always a LOT cheaper than "local" service. Rock bottom pricings and inexpensive shippings are tough to beat.. especially as most product originates in China in the first p[lace.
Thought about opening a Liquor Store??
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:16 AM
Progress not Perfection
Palmdale, Ca.
Joined Dec 2005
438 Posts
Ever tried to return a half drunk bottle of whisky for a free replacement?
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
United States, LA, Oak Grove
Joined Oct 2006
381 Posts
e-sky would be great all the parts for the king 2 and t-rex
stutts121472 is offline Find More Posts by stutts121472
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilscor41
Guys I need your help, I'm designing an online hobby shop and I would like to know which brands and types of helis,motors,esc,batteries,servos,blades, swash plates,spare parts radios,hardware,etc,etc,etc, you would like to have in stock. Of course at killer prices and second to none customer service.
Thanks for your input, It will serve all of us.
Jack
WestCoasteHobbies

Hi

The key phrase here is IN STOCK....Instead of having to many items that are never in stock you might want to keep one or two lines to specialize in. Heli direct as an example is grat but go thru thr=eir site and soooo many items sold out. I second the call for Esky Ihave a trex and the King2 love the king 2.

Good luck with your venture.

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:21 PM
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Dunno. IMO that's a tough call. Overseas shops can do MUCH better pricewise and surprisingly Shipping from the EAST is often faster and almost always a LOT cheaper than "local" service. Rock bottom pricings and inexpensive shippings are tough to beat.. especially as most product originates in China in the first p[lace.
Thought about opening a Liquor Store??
Shipping costs from Hong Kong almost always eliminates HK shops from consideration for me. I buy from them ONLY when a US dealer is out of stock, or if they have a package available nowhere else.

What lines to carry? No more than 3; cheap, mid, and premium. Certainly these could be Esky and Align for the 1st 2, I have no idea about more expensive stuff (I'll never be in that market). Reasonable shipping, keeping parts in stock, and responsive customer service will get the business over the long run.
hancockdw is offline Find More Posts by hancockdw
Old Aug 26, 2007, 02:27 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Darth's Heli bodies (Forgive me, I couldnt resist)
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:51 PM
PAS
California, USA
Joined Sep 2000
69 Posts
I think it would be great if you pick up and really support the brands that people like but are a pain to get parts for:
1. ESky - Lots of places sell them but few keep parts in stock for ALL the models.
2. Kyosho - Was well supported under Tower Hobbies now where do you get parts?
3. Find nice quality helis that are not currently available in the US, bring them here with excellent parts support. Finding a niche is key. Notice how Hobby Lobby is branching out with the Dragonus and Gazaur models. I think this is a smart move!

I would skip Align, they are well supported!
-Paul
PAS is offline Find More Posts by PAS
Old Aug 27, 2007, 04:51 AM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
Maybe the best bet would be something like esky and other china brands. The thing is, esky is needed online and other hong kong made things.
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:14 AM
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS
I think it would be great if you pick up and really support the brands that people like but are a pain to get parts for:
1. ESky - Lots of places sell them but few keep parts in stock for ALL the models.
2. Kyosho - Was well supported under Tower Hobbies now where do you get parts?
3. Find nice quality helis that are not currently available in the US, bring them here with excellent parts support. Finding a niche is key. Notice how Hobby Lobby is branching out with the Dragonus and Gazaur models. I think this is a smart move!

I would skip Align, they are well supported!
-Paul
This is a good point, I think, about Align. Maybe try to "hit 'em where they ain't", to use an old baseball term. Whatever products are offered, though, the most important factors for an online store are 1) price; 2) availability; and 3) speed/cost of delivery. (OK, that's really 4 )

I can't offer other suggestions for what to carry because I'm still too inexperienced to have many opinions except what I read here on rcgroups.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:50 AM
Mark S
Joined Jul 2007
99 Posts
I would not skip Align, because you're going to have people not only defect from other LHSs to come see you, but also people who just prefer your place over someplace else that sells the same stuff. Plus, there's plenty of people who use Align parts for non-Align copters.

But definitely differentiate yourself in some way. Be the go-to guy for something - be it low prices, great return policy, always the first the guy to get the Walkera stuff, whatever.
old_skul is offline Find More Posts by old_skul
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:09 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Any chance it can be based somewhere other than California? "Sales tax for California residents" always kills me. Definitely E sky stuff. Honeybee fp and King parts and kits.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:04 PM
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit
Any chance it can be based somewhere other than California? "Sales tax for California residents" always kills me. Definitely E sky stuff. Honeybee fp and King parts and kits.
Yeah! Close to Texas but not IN Texas.

And in or near a major transportation hub city.

So, when do we get our consulting commissions?
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
Progress not Perfection
Palmdale, Ca.
Joined Dec 2005
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit
Have no fear, I thought of that one. It's a Nevada corp.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:02 AM View Post
edith228
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while edith228 edits it. Show it to me anyway.