HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ToxicToast, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 09:45 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Discussion
CliXL! 44" Maiden!

Maiden went flawless, CG was perfect right at the carbon spar line. Power was good, not phenomenal but it did hover on a fresh pack w/50% throttle. Gotta say, this is a phenomenal design the slow beautiful and highly controllable flight was amazing! Very little trimming needed to get things going straight and true. Tracknig was just the best I have ever had. This NEEDS to be a kit if the price can be kept low enough. My throws on the elev and aileron could use a bit more at the low rates but otherwise it was such a joy. At about 8min I brought it down gently and tried to un-puck :O Temps on motor, battery and ESC were all mild, probably around 110-115 degrees.

If you've ever admired the graceful indoor pattern flying style and wanted to explore the same kind of flight characteristics in an outdoor setting, this is the plane for you!

Second flight, I tossed it and handed it to Gator Greg, FB extrodinaire, so I could take some photos. He was so thrilled about the flight characteristics. We all flew it conservatively with some hovers and knife edges but nothing to fancy. At about 6min in, he handed the controls back to me and I flew it for a few min more. I could feel the power drop a bit so I decided to start setting up a landing.

Just one more hover, please! 15' off the ground I pointed it skyward and gave it throttle. It hovered then suddenly the soft cutoff was kicked in and it nosed down quickly and didnt have the room to pull out and it dorked pretty badly. Broken prop, firewall pulled out and damaged the supports, fuse cracked at the rear of the canopy and some distortion and cracks on the horizontal at that same area. Sigh. It will be repaired but wont be as pretty and may not be as true as before.

edit: (update) Repair was fairly easy and it is still pretty. Added small balsa triangles stock on underside of fuse to reinforce an area that took the brunt of the damage. Minimal weight gain.

Oh and I really didnt feel like the force and power used justified bracing but there is some flex on the rudder/elevator line that may be a little problematic at higher speeds only.

Great design, great idea. Thanks David K and edf!!!
ToxicToast is online now Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Last edited by ToxicToast; Aug 25, 2007 at 10:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:25 AM
3-D Wannabe
Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
15 Posts
Chris, That was a sad site to see when it went down. Time goes by to fast when your haveing fun. I'm glad to see you got fixed so fast.
Owen
Terradactyl is offline Find More Posts by Terradactyl