SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2007, 07:18 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Discussion
How do you keep covering from pulling off when you tape your wingtip on?

Most of my planes have 3 piece wings and the outer pieces are held on with tape when I am flying. I want to put a protective layer of tape or covering on the joining ends of my wing sections so that when I pull the tape off I don't pull the covering off.

This isn't really a problem on my glass ships, but even then I would rather not have the tape directly on the wing's surface just in case it could damage it.

What material do you use?
  • Clear Ultracote, packing tape or ?
How do you apply it so it doesn't have bubbles under it?
  • Float it on with solvent or in the case of tape with water and soap mixture?
mdennis is online now Find More Posts by mdennis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:50 AM
Cadillac, Mi. USA
Joined Aug 2005
99 Posts
leave an extra layer

leave a protective layer of tape (1"-2" wide) on the mating edges.. tape over that...
stumper is offline Find More Posts by stumper
Old Aug 25, 2007, 09:15 AM
LSF186
Wayne, NJ
Joined Jan 2003
424 Posts
hi...i use clear packing tape...1" wide....works great.....

bob
neonbutterfly is offline Find More Posts by neonbutterfly
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:01 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
3M electrical tape. Comes in a bunch of different colors. I put a strip on each panel that is left in place and use another strip to fasten the wings together. It has worked for the last 32 years.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:02 AM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
916 Posts
I've switched to good old electrical tape with no protective tape on the ends of my panels. The tack is less than some of the clear tapes but has more than enough tack to do the job. Maybe not enough if your DSing but for any other plane it's just fine. Lots of colors to choose from also.
Batmanwpg is offline Find More Posts by Batmanwpg
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
Permanently Banned
Dallas TX
Joined Oct 2004
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanwpg
I've switched to good old electrical tape with no protective tape on the ends of my panels. The tack is less than some of the clear tapes but has more than enough tack to do the job. Maybe not enough if your DSing but for any other plane it's just fine. Lots of colors to choose from also.
Ditto for 20 years now.
[I do use a protective high tack layer on the surface of each panel for semi permenent extra protection i.e. on each piece to be joined by electrical tape].
histarter is offline Find More Posts by histarter
Old Aug 25, 2007, 06:34 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Jul 2007
76 Posts
If you don't have a protective layer as indicated above, the best technique to pull tape off is to completely reverse the direction of your pull. In other words, once you have an edge up off the surface, bring that edge back down on top of the "up" side and just pull carefully along the tape line. Don't pull the tape up, "peel" it off.
mocgp is offline Find More Posts by mocgp
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:17 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
I agree with using electrical tape. That is my tape of choice, but when it gets really hot out, it wants to come off pretty easily and sometimes leaves residue. (Although I haven't had the residue problem with 3M tape, only the cheap kind.) I remove it the way "mocgp" describes, peeling it off back on itself at as sharp a 180 bend as the wing will allow.

I decided to try a couple of different methods using 1" wide packing tape.

First I tried just carefully putting it on with it's own adhesive and working my way from one end to the other. (Starting at the trailing edge and working my way around the leading edge back to the trailing edge with one piece of tape.) Lots of bubbles under it no matter how careful I was.

Then I tried using water with a little soap mixed in. I sprayed it on one side of the wing and then put the tape on. I used a paper towel to squeegee the excess out from under the tape toward the trailing edge. Then flipped the wing over and did the other side. (Still using one piece of tape from trailing edge around the leading edge and back to the trailing edge.) No stinking bubbles. This method was easy, worked well and allowed the tape to be repositioned easily if I developed any bubbles while pressing the tape down.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:12 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Packing tape at the edges, then electrical tape to join them. Works for me!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
When attaching my outer wing sections, I have always put my tape on starting at the bottom about 1" away from the aileron then around the leading edge and stopped about an inch from the aileron on the top, leaving a small tab formed by folding the tape over on itself about 3/16". I figure this seals the gap and gets the most tape on the wing to hold the outer section, but I see guys only putting it on the top or only on the bottom.

Do you put your tape; only on the top, only on the bottom, or all the way around like I do? Why?

As a side note: I only see guys doing this. We need more bikini clad women in this hobby. (I figure the ratio of crashes would go up in inverse proportion to the amount of clothes the women wear, but I am willing to accept some collateral damage.)
Last edited by mdennis; Aug 26, 2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:10 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
All the way around, starting with about 1/2" over the TE, along the top, LE, along the bottom, then overlapping the piece I started with and cut flush with the TE.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 26, 2007, 03:43 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
mdennis,
Why bother with the bikinis?
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Aug 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
kak8
Joined Jun 2005
306 Posts
I once made an experiment because of the same problem. I didn`t try it on a real wing yet, but when you glue the covering film ends to balsa wood with medium CA, the join is a lot stronger then using iron. It`s almost impossible to pull it off in one piece. The colored part will stay on the wood and you just pull the thin clear film off. It will be hard to change or repear the covering later - I guess.
kak8 is offline Find More Posts by kak8
Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:34 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveosoar
mdennis,
Why bother with the bikinis?
I have this thing for tan lines I guess

You are correct, I am certain I would crash just as many planes with or without the bikinis, maybe more with because the mystery would be gone without them.