Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:18 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Cool
Restoring an Old Stinson Reliant

This project came to me awhile back. The model had been hanging from a friends garage cieling until 1 sad day the string broke and down she came! Badly gamaged from the fall, the model was slated for repair and re-cover for static display.

Since the wings didn't appear to be all that bad work began there. Well, you can't inmagine my surprise when the cover started to come off and saw what was on the inside! Though the level of craftsmanship wasn't all that great, the effort was monumental.

As it stand now, one wing is stripped, sanded, and basically repaired, though after starting the second wing can see where the aileron and hinge spar needs to be reworked to match the other side. The other is stripped, but needs some pretty extensive repair to bring it up to coverable.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Last edited by P. Tritle; Aug 24, 2007 at 09:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:30 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
Hey Pat. What are you going to with all your extra space? That thing has been in there as long as I can remember

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,864 Posts
That wing is incredible looking. A shame to cover it up, really. No one builds like this today, do they?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:01 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,230 Posts
Was this built from plans, from a kit, or from the builder's own design?
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
i remember seeing that in your shop too pat--wow that wing does have some serious structure to it! its interesting to see how over engineered some kits are..or maybe it was based on improving a previous version.

it seems like restoring an older r/c plane has some serious issues to it..i had the remains of my older brother's p-40 stunter--and found it was pretty much beyond repair--then i found another TF stunter (the hawker) which is very similar and a basis for pretty much starting over--it also allows me to have some plans and parts for what isnt there---its kinda like some restorations where the only original part is the registration plate..LOL..i have the motor, some wood, the landing gear and some material and paint samples--and pictures that are in color from the 60's..since the brother has passed on--it has a great importance but not a high priority to be done tomorrow--old models certainly have thier charm, when done right.. the key is to have "Trittle Quality" as a restoration point!! hey i invented a phrase!!!

re-building something for static display must me quite a departure for you!!

Tim
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Aug 25, 2007, 06:43 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
I don't know if this one was kit built or done from plans. The Gentleman who owns the model picked it up in his travels, and doesn't know the history of the model.

K, I'd say it safe to assume that the average modeler wouldn't be too tempted to get into a project like that. As much as I like to build, it looks prety intimidating to me.

Z, Yep, that's the one. Setting this one up to fly would be a monumental undertaking. The quality of the original build is way below what I would call the basis for an airworthy model without doing some serious work on the structure. But to hang in the owners office, it should finish out really nice.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,733 Posts
Cleveland Kit?

I'm pretty sure that it was built from the largest Cleveland SR-7 kit. I think there was a built up rib or conventional model option on the plans. Can you imagine that it was intended as a free flight model. If you fly from a dry lake bed, maybe. Hope this model gives you ideas for a 60-some inch wingspan light weight Tritlized version.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:27 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
899 Posts
I can't wait to see the fuse and the tail feathers both covered and uncovered!

Daniel
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Aug 31, 2007, 06:43 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I'm pretty sure that it was built from the largest Cleveland SR-7 kit. I think there was a built up rib or conventional model option on the plans. Can you imagine that it was intended as a free flight model. If you fly from a dry lake bed, maybe. Hope this model gives you ideas for a 60-some inch wingspan light weight Tritlized version.
I've got a copy of the Cleveland plans here. Pat, if your model is 84 inch span then it may have been built over the outlines of the Cleveland plan. But the Cleveland doesn't have built up ribs or scale spar design like this one. It's rib for rib but the spars are more typical of standard model construction. Although it's possible that someone could have adlibed these extra details onto the outline.

Another option is that it was built it up directly over something like scaled up Wylam drawings. Then added a few twists to allow for mounting stuff as shown by the massive blocks of wood around the wing root.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews