SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:56 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
Discussion
Cylon Raider

Just wondering what people think of a pusher prop Cylon Raider (new series). Could it fly?
The_Fuzz is offline Find More Posts by The_Fuzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:42 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
I've been working on a profile version of one of these over the last couple of weeks. I think it would fly, but I would definitely be interested in collaborating on the design with someone more experienced, because this is the first plane I've designed on my own and I'm kind of stuck.

Right now it's about 23" WS and 36" long. I had previously made a 1/2 scale model to test the glide and find the CG. As it turns out, on the 100% model the CG is about three inches behind the front tip of the center "head". While it would look best as a pusher, but I think it would be really difficult to get the CG far enough forward without putting weight out toward the front tips, and I'm trying to avoid adding weight to the model because I'm aiming for around 8-9 oz AUW with a 3s620 pack. So I might try it with putting the motor in the "mouth".

Also, I am finding that with a simple flat plate design as I have it, the weight on the long side rails causes the main wing area to twist pretty easily, (the tips go up and down opposite each other when I rock the model back and forth) so it would need some kind of reinforcement that I haven't figured out yet. Anyone have ideas on how to prevent it from twisting?
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:20 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
Well, if you are looking for experience, I'm not the guy! Never designed a plane before, but thought it might be a good winter project(I'm in Canada, so that it is on its way!). My idea was to get the thickest depron I could, and laminate it to build up some thickness, then sand it down to a more 3D shape. If I built both wings out of one big piece, it would have more strength. maybe need a couple rods for rigidity. I figured a hollow cockpit, with the battery all the way forward, and hoped that would get the CG up enough. Otherwise a little weight in the tips. I woudl probably go with whatever scale allows me to have room for all the electronics and stuff in the cockpit, I would have to figure that one out after I get some computer designs. One thing I was trying to figure out was control surfaces. They would have to be elevons, but looking at it, due to the narrow width of the wings I would probably need to cut them quite big. I was debating making a rudder at the end of the cockpit too, or maybe vectoring the prop. Dunno.

I just got the idea last night, so this is very early stages. That is an interesting idea to put the prop up front. Ruins the look a bit, but might be necessary.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:51 PM
Joined Jul 2007
42 Posts
Instead of using laminated depron you could just use the kinda styrofoam the hotwire guys are using since its a hell of alot thicker then 6mm.
Ragath is offline Find More Posts by Ragath
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:59 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
What is that foam called?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 06:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
42 Posts
EPS or EPX usually, its availible in white, blue and pink and they are usually in slightly different densities where the white is the lightest and pink is the heaviest. My local hardware store has the blue stuff in thickness of around 3-4inches but ive seen it being sold waaay thicker too.
Ragath is offline Find More Posts by Ragath
Old Aug 24, 2007, 06:17 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
Interesting, I will look into that. I was just reading up on EPP, too.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:13 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
any luck on this??

I know this thread is old, but I'm thinking:

EDF to take the place of the fuse. It would have the proper sound to it as well.
Either blue core or EPP. Use CF rod and monokote to cover and make stiff.
Even a thin CF rod to join the two tips if needed.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Last edited by GFBurke; Jan 25, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 02:04 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Well anatoly hooked up the large template. I took it and made it a bit more uniform, just got rid of some of the detail. On another one, I drew where I'd think elevons should go. Although, this is a guess for me at this time..
Here is a small .jpg in case you didn't want to download the large ones just to see.
http://www.ramsinks.com/heli/anatoly.cylon.zip
Old Feb 03, 2010, 02:18 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Just thinking outloud, but what if you took some clear Mylar and filled in the large gap making it fly more like a UFO style plane, but look way.. way... way... frak'n cooler?
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:46 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,163 Posts
As an avid Spacecraft designer with a bit of experience in this area, i would put the motor at the front of the cockpit facing forward as a tractor. The problem you are going to have is those wingtips facing forward. Too much area forward of the CG.

Going to need to make some large vertical surfaces on the back end to keep it from trying to swap ends when it is flying. Check out the Klingon Bird of Prey thread to see what i am talking about.

Definitely need to have carbon tube all the way to the front and larger tail surfaces. I think this thing is probably going to want to balance about halfway in FRONT of the Cockpit though. Could be another issue.

I say slap together a chucker and see how unstable it is before you start building anything.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:47 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Cool thanks. I'm hearing the CG point is a few inches in front of the "nose".
Words for me later: ripstop nylon or ripstop polyester
Old Feb 03, 2010, 01:02 PM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
Someone built a bat plane, rcpowers I think? I bet it would be similar characteristics.
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
Old Feb 03, 2010, 01:16 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Here is my thought on the CG and stiff "arms" issue - both taken care of at once.
- Use 3 pieces of foam.
1 depron piece. It's the whole top down template.
2 epp pieces. To sandwich the depron, however the epp pieces stop at elevons.
(control surfaces are only depron)

Sandwich the foam with CF rod down "arms".
Cover the "arms" the 'rite way'. Black monokote and riteweave.
This adds weight and strength down the arms.
If not still enough, I use a CF rod to join points of arms at the tips.

EDF. The reason I think EDF is I can have the EDF hang way out in front as the "head" of the plane. This will be a tube but the motor will be in the front of the tube. Also EDF has proper sound. But the motor will be out further then a tractor.

I'm not a builder, I've never built a scratch plane. No experience. However this is something I can mess with and try. I could always pull the EDF and go tractor at any point... I'll use cheap stuff.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 01:41 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Of course, another option is to run a slowstick style fuse way out in front of the nose. Just wont look as cool.