HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3 Posts
Discussion
New RC club with no RC experience

I'm a member of a new RC club at the University of Kansas and was hoping to get some advice on what would be a good kit plane that would require building but is fairly cheap and a good plane to learn to fly with. Any advice would be appreciated.
hawk rc is offline Find More Posts by hawk rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:51 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk rc
I'm a member of a new RC club at the University of Kansas and was hoping to get some advice on what would be a good kit plane that would require building but is fairly cheap and a good plane to learn to fly with. Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to RCG hawk.

That's a very tricky open-ended question with too many answers. May I suggest reading this first?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577137

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:04 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3 Posts
Thanks for the link, very helpful
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:07 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
That should keep you busy for quite some time. Bill did a great job putting that thread together. It has the new guy in mind.

If you have questions when you read them, just hit the "quote" button in that post and ask your question. Someone will be along shortly and provide advice.

There are no shortages of opinions 'round here.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:13 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,419 Posts
Welcome to RCGRoups, hawk rc!

That's what club members are for. See what others are flying and ask them questions (after they land). Someone might even have a buddy box to teach you on. I know many clubs do.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:35 AM
Professional Lurker
United States, MD, La Plata
Joined Nov 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk rc
So, are you guys gonna get involved in the AIAA Design Build Fly. It will be in Wichita this year. It may give your Aero and EE Dept something to do.

Chris
Magician is offline Find More Posts by Magician
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:07 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Check out stevens Aero and Mountain Models. they both offer high quality kits, of many sizes and designes

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician
So, are you guys gonna get involved in the AIAA Design Build Fly. It will be in Wichita this year. It may give your Aero and EE Dept something to do.

Chris
At the moment we are just trying to learn the basics. The club grew out of an excess of volunteers for a large scale rc plane (cryohawk) we are building. None of us have experience with flying rc including the ones building cryohawk. Hopefully we will learn enough to compete in AIAA.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 03:26 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
I suggest contacting one of the RC clubs already established in the area for assistance in flight training...

I can't point you to any specific club...

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
should help

There are usually at least a couple of members of any club who are willing to assist ANYONE who wants to learn to fly a model.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 24, 2007, 05:07 PM
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2007
342 Posts
Hey, I am in olathe, about 30min away from you. The best local club I can think of is at Shawnee Mission Park. Last time I was in Lawrence they have a flying field at Clinton Lake on the other side of the dam. I would try their and see if they have a club going. Im sure they do.
Mattkc is offline Find More Posts by Mattkc