Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Chino Tom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:43 PM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
Discussion
Not much RC time

The past couple of months have keep me busy on my RV not my RC alfas. Had to remove the engine from my RV-6 and have it overhauled. This removal and reinstall process along with having to put breakin time on the engine has keep me busy. The first several flights were in the immediate vicinity of Chino Airport. After proving there were no leaks or other problems (had to re-adjust the idle speed) this last weekend I flew to Camarillo for their annual airshow and then up to San Luis Obispo to visit my son who goes to college there. The third largest fire (soon to become the 2nd) in California's history is burning in the mountains north east of Santa Barbara and i took some photos on my way back form SLO. As is the norm since 9/11, the FAA is quick to establish TFR's (temporary flight restrictions) over things such as fires or when dignitarys are around (forget about flying anywhere near where POTUS is). One of the pictures showes the map on my Garmin 496 and the red outline is the TFR for this fire. I'm just south of Santa Barbara and just off the coast (within gliding distance of the beach). Beautiful SoCal day. Only 102 deg on the ground at Chino.
Chino Tom is offline Find More Posts by Chino Tom
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2007, 03:22 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,628 Posts
Lucky dog... I need to save up the coin and get back into flying "real" planes again.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:21 AM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
Alfa's are WAY cheaper! If you ever get out here, let me know and we'll buz around some. The RV is for sale, need the coin to finish my current project an RV-8A.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:26 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,628 Posts
Well geez, I can't pass that up. I'm gonna have to remember that. Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Very nice Chino Tom. If I were to build a plane, it would be a RV! Question? Is there anything wrong with the RV-10, I have seen several completed ones for sale and it really hasn't been out that long. Just curious.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:56 PM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
Nothing wrong with the RV-10 at all. Some guys just trying to make a quick buck as there aren't to many around. I'm 2/3s thru an RV-8A (engine and avionics left to do, airframe done) and in retrospect should have built a 10.
At the time the sportyness of the -8 (same as the -6,-7,-4) was to big a draw.
The 10 is a 4 place non-aerobatic nice cross country airplane (fast too, same as the -6, around an honest 170 knots) that can carry alot of stuff. Those that have them love em. For one like I would have wanted, the budget would have been north of 125K. A little to pricey for me.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:29 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Yes, very pricey indeed but compared to a new Cirrus a bargin! I had a chance to fly the -8, and it was a blast! They are sporty planes, that's for sure.

Nice engine in your -6. Is it 180hp?
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:47 PM
Chino, CA
Joined Dec 2006
140 Posts
Yes. O-360-A1A. Blended airfoil Hartzell constant speed prop. Same set up will go in the RV-8A. Mags and Carburator. Great reliability. Might consider forgoing one mag for electronic ignition. We'll see.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:51 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Have any of the RV guys had luck with the Jubaru? Just curious.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:52 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,628 Posts
I think it's time for another progress report.