Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:46 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
Build Log
KA Models L-39 Albatros Sport

Hi guys,

I saw a guy the other day fly one of these jets and I had to have one. I purchased the L-39 Sport version from Ken at kamodels.com. You can see a picture of the kit there. This is my first EDF. And I realize now that this kit is not a ARF. It is borderline scratch build. So you have to be able to see the end picture. Luckily I have done scratch builds.

The first thing that I was most interested in was the ducting. So once I recieved the kit, studied it and did some prefitting. I will try and post as many pictures as I can. But let me know if you would like to see an angle that I missed. Also, I go over a few rudamentary things in this build log for the beginners.

Power system: Wemotec mini 480, Typhoon 2W-20 brushless, 4 cell 3200 mah lipo, phoenix 60 amp controller, 4.8 volt regulator for receiver.
adsala is offline Find More Posts by adsala
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:55 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
I have to tell you that I have been working on this plane for about 3 weeks now. I just started this build thread and I am posting everything that I have to current. Here are some wing pix.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:05 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
I used probond glue to glue all the wing capping wood. You have sand the front edges of the ailerons after they are cut. This is where a table top belt sander comes in handy. But I use a long sander board too.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
More wing work. I already beveled the wing roots to have a diedral on each end of 1 inch as per instruction. I used a long sanding board. Sand and fit over and over till you got it.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:19 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
Servo bay cutouts. I am using Hitec HS-91 servos. There was a hole allready cut in the wing foam to run the wires to the servos. More pictures to come as work progresses
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:37 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
Finally glue the wings together. I like to use blue masking tape to help glue wings together. Mix up some epoxy then apply to inner mating surfaces. Get a length of tape and attach to one end of the wing and overlap to bottom. Take the other end and gently pull some pressure until the wings lift off the 1 inch deihedral blocks. Turn wing over and tape the bottom the same way but used a 1inch by about 8 inch long scrap piece to lift the tape off the root. Now add more tape with and pull the wing together with it. Put 1 inch scraps on your 1 inch diehedral block to lift them too. Flip the wing over and all should be good. Use SLX alcohol to clean off excess epoxy.
Last edited by adsala; Aug 22, 2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:21 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
I opted to put in a steerable nose gear. So I glued in a bulkhead to attach a nose gear bracket. And on to some servos. The instructions say to glue the elevator servo to the side of the rear fuse with silicon glue. In my gut, I am not sure I trust this so I decided to put the elevator and rudder(yes rudder servo up front. The rudder servo will double as a typical steering servo as well. I found that I can run 1/2 push rods all the way to the rear with an ever so slight bend around the ducting! I will convert the fin into a rudder as well. I guess this plane was to fly without rudder control. Well, I need a rudder.

You may ask where is the battery going to go. You'll see later.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:25 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
On to some prefitting the stab. I had some 1/8 carbon fiber tube sitting around and decided to use it for the stab support rod.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:40 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
At this point, I wanted to get a ballpark on the weight. I might be over posting pictures here sorry. I piled everything onto a scale. It's about 44oz. I figure a couple more oz for finish. Should be ok. Still under 3 lbs. I understand some of you are running 6 cell lipos. That has got to put it over 3lbs. I am using a 4 cell.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:59 PM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
Here is the ducting assembly. The tabs were cut off the fan unit. I used the aluminum ducting tape to tape the fan unit to the ducting. I used CA to glue the seems of the ducts together. I managed to get the whole assembly in place. It seems to be very sturdy. I used automotive silicon gasket maker to glue the front and rear to the fuslage. Turns out to fit very nicely and strong. Don't have the pictures of the trimmed ducts yet. I am a little confused about a couple of things. I am not sure how to mount the intake rings and the small plastic rectangles that go on the front. Any suggestions would be of value here.

Also picture here are some pins that I epoxied in to support the fin. Also shown is the torque rod for the elevator. I opted to go with the torque rod instead of the update on KA's website. I am also going to the run the elevator push wire out the side of the fuslage. Notice the mistake hole that I filled in.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:10 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
Your going to love this plane...and you dont need a rudder at all..if you like doing knife edge passes than ad it ..they seem like a lot of work to build but they go together pretty fast..I am working on Kens bronco for now...
Scott
PS your power set up should perform very well..
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:53 AM
Joined Aug 2005
32 Posts
We usually have cross winds at our field and a rudder comes in handy for landing. It was really no problem adding it. I am just stuck now trying to figure out the intake ring mounting with the plastic rectangle pieces. They don't seem to fit right. I wonder if the plastic rectangles actually glue flat against the fuse or do they sit off a smidget like on the scale version. And the rings do not meet at the fuse. They are a little short so I might have to some filling. I am guessing the inner part of the ring mounts flush with the intake stream and not in the ring groove. Thanks for your inspiration. I am gearing up for a fly-in in September.

Dean
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:31 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
post some pics of the intake parts! I will see if I can check my kit and figure out the problem..
Scott
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut