SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:27 PM
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
Discussion
Looking for resistive gimbals

Anybody know where I can find regular RC sized resistive gimbals/joysticks? I need a few of these for a project. Found some tiny ones in digikey, but I really need something more normal sized.

Thanks.
pilesofspam is offline Find More Posts by pilesofspam
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:57 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
You can buy Futaba 9C joystick assemblies directly from Futaba for $31 each. Also look around ebay (and other places) for the VEX robotics radios, the controller was made by Futaba.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 23, 2007, 01:31 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,443 Posts
will these work?

http://www.bphobbies.com/cat5/linkRe...sp?pid=T395210
http://www.bphobbies.com/cat5/linkRe...sp?pid=T546049
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
Thank you both very much for prompt replys. noobee, that is exactly what I'm looking for.
pilesofspam is offline Find More Posts by pilesofspam
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:30 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
You can buy Futaba 9C joystick assemblies directly from Futaba for $31 each. Also look around ebay (and other places) for the VEX robotics radios, the controller was made by Futaba.
you can buy a secondhand old TX on ebay
by for less than that..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Yes but then how good are the old sticks? If you want new Futaba parts, best to buy new parts. It all depends on what you want.

I also saw at BPHobbies that they have Art-Tech joysticks for $3.50, not sure which one is better.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:24 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,581 Posts
IMO the gimbals from an old futaba FG are superior to the ones from a 9C. these radios can be had for less than $30 and if it looks clean then it probably has seen little use. just be sure not to get one with the trim and stick axis tied to the same pot! these are easy to identify by looking at the throttle an elevator trims, if they are inline with the gimbal centers then they don't have separate pots. n0t sure but i think all the 4 channels are this way...

those BP cheapies linked to above also appear to have the stick and trim actuating the same pot. to do this they must use a yoke system on the gimbal and all it takes is a hair of wear and all precision is lost. the vex controllers also use this system. if you don't care for precision then these are both great deals. every industrial joystick i've seen also uses yokes so that both pots can be mounted stationary to the housing.

dave
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT