SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:23 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Discussion
Airco DH 2

Well, the micro planes bug infected my and I am in a strange hurry to build this is a plane that I like much, the Airco DH-2, I saw the Falcon model, but I want some smaller for actuators, some body tried it before? I mean, if some guy tried with this plane in micro scale before.

Cheers.

Alf

PS Yes you guest, I want a micro WW1 classic planes fleet
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:33 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Alfredo,

Look here, not R/C'd, but smaller: http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...m=1184110454/0
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:37 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Mike, glad to know about you, thanks for the link, a fine work!!!!! well mine will be more simple, with cambered wings like the SE-5.

Thanks.

Alf
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:22 AM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Alfredo
What a nice project ---- Where can you buy the beautiful Alvarez plans anyone??
The DH2 model from Falcon needs some extreme thrustline angles to trim it correctly: but I don't have any info on these.
Good luck

Peter
peter frostick is offline Find More Posts by peter frostick
Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:14 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Thanks Peter, I got from the web a nice 3 views, I gong to use it to make my own plans and the thrust angles is some thisng that I did not think before!!!!

The origional plane had...down thrust?? I noticed the prop up line power in some pics in the web.

Thanks for the idea.

Cheers.

Alf
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:11 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
Nice project, Alf.

Someone built a 1/24 scale free flight D.H.2 with CO2 power in the 1970s, and it worked perfectly, without trimming problems.

The original aircraft had the thrust line parallel to the upper longerons, and in the line of flight. The manual says to place a spirit level on a longeron in the cockpit to get the datum line level.

The mainplane incidence was 3 degrees, but it was measured in an unusual way. You had to press a straightedge down onto the tops of both spars and check that that was at 3 degrees. All the published drawings I've seen have the underside of the wing, from leading edge to trailing, at 3 degrees, and that is too much. Check drawings against side view photos to see what I mean. The excess incidence could be a source of trim problems in a model.

Good luck!
Welsh Dave is offline Find More Posts by Welsh Dave
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:25 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredo rubio
Well, the micro planes bug infected my and I am in a strange hurry to build this is a plane that I like much, the Airco DH-2, I saw the Falcon model, but I want some smaller for actuators. I want a micro WW1 classic planes fleet. Alf
Hi, Alf
Can not help you with DH-2 as of yet. Been thinking about trying to design one for a year or so now. Let you know more later.
I just finished designing a Albatross DIII kit for BSD to release very soon. You might want to add this one to your micro WWI fleet. Actuators, Hip-hop Plantraco receiver and 7mm geared motor.
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:42 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Ken, nice plane!!! look at your 6, maybe my SE-5 is near
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:48 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Tanks Welsh, the upper logerons you said are the long stick from the LE of the wing to the tail?

The 3 views aI gotis here, and I noticed that the elevator is not at the same line of the upper stick if the ...longerons?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:06 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
The line running through the fuselage, where the stitching is...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
Pusher aircraft have their own terminology. The fuselage is called a nacelle, and the long sticks supporting the tail are called booms.

The upper longeron, which DH called a rail, is just below the pilot's elbows.

The attached DH drawing shows the wings at 4 degrees measured by either method, but official dimensions give 3.75, and notes made by a rigger give 3.5! Jack Bruce in the D.H.2 Profile said 3 degrees.
I think I'd trust the rigger.

Manufacturers' GA drawings often fail to include revisions, and the errors get into subsequent drawings for publication. De Havilland's basic 3-view GAs got worse in this respect; the Rapide drawing has the three views in slightly different scales. Also the rudder is too short, the cockpit bulkhead too upright and the engines 6 inches too far apart! Sadly, George Cox's drawing for Aeromodeller magazine incorporated all these errors, and just about every drawing and kit ever since has followed it.

A fact not often mentioned is that the D.H.2 had an adjustable tailplane; the rear fixing bolt could be in any one of six holes. The attached drawing shows it in the top hole, with the tailplane touching the fin throughout, but many photos show it lower. Our rigger recommended using the second hole up, putting the incidence at 0 degrees.

Dave
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:35 AM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
WOW!!! Dave, thanks for all the info, really you know about this planes

I saw an replica yesterday and the plane had the motor mounted with the prop few degrees down...

Cheers.

Alf
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:06 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
I expect it does fly better that way. The original wasn't for rookie pilots, by all accounts.

I used to work at the RAF Museum, which is where I got the info. The rigger's notes, all hand written and sketched in a school exercise book in 1916, are a great source of practical knowledge. He got the incidence angle by yet another method, involving a straightedge laid level below the rear spar and measuring the distance from that to the underside of the front spar.

The best collection of D.H.2 info is in Windsock Datafile 48 by Barry Gray. Good colour drawings, too - much more grey and less P.C.10 than was previously assumed.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 04:35 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
WOW!!!! I am envy to work in a Museum is great, as you said, I found an static modeler who painted a model as the same plane that flew Lanoe, but he said he is not totally sure about the schemme, and we asumed all the planes where green, not brown and gray, and anothers light blue (or it looks like blue).

We usually see the other fighter from this time and the PC 10 is the must usual, but I did not know as you said, in DH2 was another history.

I saw in a Mexican aviation magazine the same words, this plane was not easy to fly and we can see why, the big prop, and all the motor mass rotating, even with a big rudder feeded bya prop flow, I am sure this plane wes hard to fly.

Thanks for any more info... do you have some more documents? Is exiting to know about all those old notes

Cheers.

Alf
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:49 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
I'm pleased the info is useful. Yes, I have quite a lot of other documents, but I'm busy trying to draw a Tiger Moth at the moment. As usual, no two available plans agree, and they all have errors. :-(
For wing geometry, I'm having to adapt D.H.60 data.

I'll be less busy in a week or two; if you can work out how detailed a model you want to build, I'll see what I can do then.

Dave.