HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2002, 08:02 PM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
Best charger for <$100?

It seems new chargers are coming out so fast, the one I'd picked 8-9 months ago (but didn't buy) possibly isn't the best choice anymore.

I need to be able to fast-charge 8-10 cell NiCd and NiMh packs, preferably from AC or DC. Can I hear some opinions?
E-Pylet is offline Find More Posts by E-Pylet
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:42 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
For less than $100, I think the Hitec CG-330 is a good bet. I've been using one for 3-and-a-half years with no problems. If you're willing to double your budget, you have a lot more to choose from, like the FMA "Battery Manager" and the Orbit Microlader.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Nov 21, 2002, 12:26 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: Best charger for <$100?

Quote:
Originally posted by E-Pylet
It seems new chargers are coming out so fast, the one I'd picked 8-9 months ago (but didn't buy) possibly isn't the best choice anymore.

I need to be able to fast-charge 8-10 cell NiCd and NiMh packs, preferably from AC or DC. Can I hear some opinions?
This one!
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/130108.asp
Just bought one for my son and it is a real winner!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Nov 21, 2002, 09:41 AM
Rochester, MN
Joined Nov 2002
983 Posts
How about a Triton for $109.00; you can even charge those fancy lithiums. Click on this link then go to the main page for a and use the $15.00 off coupon on the main page. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...08&FVPROFIL=++[/url][/URL] Hope this helps.
evan is offline Find More Posts by evan
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:11 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,807 Posts
for a little extra money, you can get a very nice charger like the fma supernova, dymond super turbo, or great planes triton. all can be had for around $109. they're a good investment.
Ben74 is online now Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:35 PM
Joined Jul 2002
527 Posts
I have the supernova and I love it. It keeps your packs in really good condition. I have seen them around for $110. The only thing I dont like is waiting 40-45 minutes to charge a 2400 mah pack compared to the orbit which does them in 25-30 minutes. But heck, you could buy two supernovas for price of an orbit ($270)
EP heli freak! is offline Find More Posts by EP heli freak!
Old Nov 21, 2002, 06:34 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I like my GWS 2002 for $40 you can't beat it, I run the heck out of it charging my sub c cells at 6 amps.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Nov 21, 2002, 07:29 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
The only one that does what he asked for, on both AC and DC is the Wattage PF-12 (that Boomer pointed to).

The SuperNova and some of the others are more capable but will require some sort of 12V power supply (or a big battery) in the house from which to operate.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Nov 21, 2002, 07:45 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BEC
The only one that does what he asked for, on both AC and DC is the Wattage PF-12 (that Boomer pointed to).

The SuperNova and some of the others are more capable but will require some sort of 12V power supply (or a big battery) in the house from which to operate.
He also asked for a charger under $100!!!!!Most everyone is suggesting more expensive choices! I have never seen this subject brought up that there weren't as may suggestions as the number of chargers available! Actually the little inexpensive Wattage is pretty "state of the art" within it's cost range! I was impressed to the point that I ordered one for myself after trying out the one for my son for my occasional field use and an overflow faster unit to back up my Digipulse. ( Who would have thought I would have so many packs that doing 6 at a time still doesn't keep up?)
boomer
Old Nov 21, 2002, 07:52 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
The thing I like about the GWS is that it can charge at 6 amps, it smokes on every charger in it's price range that I have used/seen. You can buy a good 12v. 12amp power supply for $35 and still be at $75 for the whole deal thats what I am doing. The problem with the AC/DC chargers is that they are bigger and heaver to have to lug to the field.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Nov 21, 2002, 08:21 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by khen
The thing I like about the GWS is that it can charge at 6 amps, it smokes on every charger in it's price range that I have used/seen. You can buy a good 12v. 12amp power supply for $35 and still be at $75 for the whole deal thats what I am doing. The problem with the AC/DC chargers is that they are bigger and heaver to have to lug to the field.
What in the world are you charging at 6 amps??? Your car battery??? Actually the Wattage weighs less than 4 lbs. so most won't get a hernia lugging it around and I sure like the cooling fan instead of a huge heat sink!
boomer
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:21 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
The Hitec CG-335 look's good for the price, it even has a digtial display. Servocity has them for $94.95 with free shipping http://www.servocity.com/Products/Ba..._chargers.html Hope this helps ya.................R................
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:27 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
khen,

If you can get a 12A power supply for $35 then you are right - the GWS MC2002 plus that supply is a super deal. My PF-12 is smaller and and lighter than my GWS charger plus my 17A power supply. Even so, when I'm away from A/C power the PF-12 usually stays home and a schulze (or two) and a GWS (or two) go to the field with me.

Boomer,

I charge my 2400 NiCds and 3000 NiMhs at 5.5-6A with my GWS charger(s) - Big-T and LT-25 batteries!
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:32 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BEC
khen,

If you can get a 12A power supply for $35 then you are right - the GWS MC2002 plus that supply is a super deal.

Boomer,

I charge my 2400 NiCds and 3000 NiMhs at 5.5-6A with my GWS charger(s) - Big-T and LT-25 batteries!
Yea,
With those batteries you can use the 6 amps! I never build anything that big anymore because I'm too lazy to go fly anyplace except across the street at the church and the old 1/4 scale stuff I used to like just won't hack it in that space not to mention the fact that when I do go fly at the soccer field with that size ship I can't get more than one in my little SUV! Now I have planes all over the back with the IFO's hanging from the clothes hooks!
boomer
Old Nov 22, 2002, 09:44 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
The power supply I use is the Pyramid and it works great.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hypaudio/ps14kx.html

Quote:
What in the world are you charging at 6 amps??? Your car battery???
I charge my 10 cell RC2400 packs at 6 amps, my CP1300 packs at 4.5-5 amps and Radio Shack 1600AA NiMH packs at 3 amps(just to name a few).

Quote:
Actually the Wattage weighs less than 4 lbs. so most won't get a hernia lugging it around and I sure like the cooling fan instead of a huge heat sink!
The reason I am so concerned about weight and size is that I carry a back pack with all my tools, radios, chargers and batteries in it. This leaves my hands free for a couple of airplanes so it limits my trips to and from the house/field to the car. I am kinda lazy that way. Lately I have been back to back charging the following combination of packs every morning before flying:

3- RC2400 10 cell packs
1- CP1300 8 cell pack
1- Wattage 8 cell NiMH 1800 pack
1- 8 cell GP 1100AEL pack

With my old charger (max 3.5 amp rate) this would take upwards of 4 hours, but with the GWS they are done in less than 2. The charger does get a little warm after charging the 3 big packs at 6 amps but cools when charging the rest of the packs at <5 amps.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Nov 22, 2002 at 09:51 AM.