HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:49 AM
amzimmy
Sandton, South Africa
Joined Dec 2006
17 Posts
Discussion
Eagle F3B X-tail

Hi Guys, have just purchased a brand new Eagle F3b plane from Jiri Tuma, Czech Republic. I was wondering if anyone of you has this particular plane and if I could get some hints, details and perhaps some modifications that would improve the the performance. Maybe settings of the control surfaces like ailerons, flaps, rudder, elevator, spoilers and butterfly settings (craw-flaps).
I'll be very thankful.

amzimmy
amzimmy is offline Find More Posts by amzimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2007, 03:07 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
1,010 Posts
Try contact Jiri: Tuma Homepage

Or designer Guenter Aichholzer : Guenter

They should be able to help you...

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Old Aug 21, 2007, 05:02 AM
amzimmy
Sandton, South Africa
Joined Dec 2006
17 Posts
Thanks for the tip Jonas, I have downloaded the general set-up from Guenter. I looks there are very few "Eagle" around. Not to sound too "blond", I was looking for for any mods or improvements before I tackle the building process.

amzimmy
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:20 AM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,394 Posts
Post a thread regarding the build in the Multi Task F3X forum area.

You are bound to get some answers there!

Si
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:31 AM
Sean Worthington
Campbell, CA
Joined Sep 2004
251 Posts
Hi amzimmy,

I just purchased one from Skip Miller here in the US. I really like the lines of the plane and the build quality is great. Not quite like my Superior, but not much difference at all.

I only got it about two weeks ago and am close to finishing the build. The one area where I think I might have learned something not so obvious in the build is the location of the fuselage servos.

Side by side, a JR 3241 and JR 368 (rudder) fit just fine with short horns on them. I still need to measure, but I think that this length arm is not enough to produce enough throw (even at 150% in my JR 9303) on the elevator. Rudder is fine. A longer arm will rub on the nose cone. On Skip's page, he shows an offset to the servos and longer arms. I will post again when I measure, but be sure you keep an eye on this one.

I have not done the set up but plan to use the throws shown on Jiri's page as a starter.

I plan to maiden the plane this weekend. Good luck with yours.

Sean
S-1-11B is offline Find More Posts by S-1-11B
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:33 PM
amzimmy
Sandton, South Africa
Joined Dec 2006
17 Posts
Thanks Wingspan will put the thread on F3X.

Sean, hey thanks, I just had a look at this point too. I've started with the building and had my two servos (Micro digi from MPLX) for rudder and elevator side by side, however with some measurements , before cutting, I discovered that the arms would be too short. So I opted for the one behind the other just off-set them to have a long enough arm. The rest fitted well, receiver RX-7 Synth IPD, fits beautifully in, the batteries, 5 AA Ni-MH. 1900 mAh, I have placed in line 2+2 (side-by side)+1 partly under the receiver. Giving me good space for the nose weight. Do you know how much weight is necessary? On my two Trinity V & X I had to battle to put enough weight!
The other thing that I have done is run a plastic clear tubing in the fuselage to insert the aerial. Lengthened the aerial by 90 cm , run the tubing past the rudder control horn and "hot-glued" the aerial in the inside channel between the rudder control surface and the fin. On the top of the fin I made a small hole (1 mm dia) and fitted a 0,5 mm dia steel rod, about 300 long that I have soldered to the end of the aerial and use this as an external aerial.
I am now busy with the one wing. As servos, for ailerons and flaps, I intend using the HiTec HS-125MG with ball link connection. I have made special plywood tray for mounting the servos. For now everything fits and is looking good.
There is a little questionable difference between some people, the CG point, some say 90 cm some say 95 and some 97. Have you had better info on this?
If I can, I plan to have the maiden flight this weekend as well.

Happy soaring!

amzimmy
Old Aug 23, 2007, 04:09 AM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,394 Posts
I guess you mean mm not cm for the C/G position.

Make sure you retract your flaps just before touch down because those servos are known to be delicate (easily strip gears) though they will work.

It should fly really well!!
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:25 AM
amzimmy
Sandton, South Africa
Joined Dec 2006
17 Posts
Yes, mm and not cm, I guess a "senior" moment. Yep the flaps saga will be, unfortunately, the same as for the Trinity, big spoilers and qiuck reaction. I found that the gears for the HS-125MG servos are the same as the Graupner and JR wing servo and the replacement gears are quite easy to get, and quite easy to replace. Thanks for the advice, it is always appreciated!

amzimmy