SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2002, 07:33 AM
Riverside, Calif
Joined Dec 2001
12 Posts
HELP: Need info on building hot wire foam cutter

Anybody know any web-pages or sites or articles discussing how to build and operate foam wing and fuselage cutters? Thanks in advance.....Chic
Chic is offline Find More Posts by Chic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:55 AM
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
Joined Aug 2002
59 Posts
Chic,

Which type are you looking for... CNC machines, hand held hot wire bow cutters, Feathercut gravity machines,...?

A simple GOOGLE search with words like... FOAM CUTTER BOW HOT WIRE .. etc. will get you loads of info.

Hope this helps...

Senna
senna12625 is offline Find More Posts by senna12625
Old Dec 10, 2002, 01:06 AM
Cupertino, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
104 Posts
www.8linx.com/cnc/cnc.htm
foam_man is offline Find More Posts by foam_man
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:55 PM
I fly, therefore...
Santa Blah Blah
Joined Dec 2002
389 Posts
Check out all the info about foam cutters on this site. http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles_foam_vac.htm Study the plans, expecially the power supply (http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...amcutterps.htm). Then go buy really cheap stuff to put it together with. I used screen door rollers, aluminum bar for the drop bar and aluminum L for the roller mount. The whole thing screws on to a piece of plywood that sits on top of a Black & Decker WorkMate. I hang my bow from a screw eye in the ceiling.

This guy was my inspiration http://aeropic.free.fr/indexenglish.htm Click the RC PLANE folder then the polystyrene cutting folder and check out all the info. His pully system is WAY too sophisticated but it'll give you an idea of what it's supposed to look like once it's all together.

DO NOT:
1) listen to the people that try to convince you to buy a $200.00 power supply. Build the on according to the plan above. I think all the parts cost me less than $35.00
2) listen to people that tell you that you need expensive anything. Start out as cheap as possible. You'll be richly rewarded.

DO:
listen to everyone that talks about vacuuming off the hairs after each cut and sanding the ridge at the root and tip. I've been able to make cores with extremely fine trailing edges by following that advice. The best article is at http://www.compufoil.com. Follow the Foam Cutting Tutorial at the bottom of the select list.

If you'd like, I can post some pics of my table/cutter after Jan 6, 2003 (but you should have cut your first wing by then )

Of course all this assumes you're not looking for a CNC cutter. If you are, follow the link from foam_man.

Good luck!

Paul
dsBeliever is offline Find More Posts by dsBeliever
Last edited by dsBeliever; Dec 16, 2002 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:13 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Mar 2001
154 Posts
foam cutting--power supply

Look at the swap meets for an OLDER type E-power charger. People sell these off as they buy peak chargers. I saw a 6 amp one go recently for $10. Make sure it has an adjustable current setting. Do not buy a peak charger!!! It shuts off on voltage drop!
jokerjop is offline Find More Posts by jokerjop