HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:51 PM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
Optimal timing for TMM ESCs used with Kontronik FUN motors

I'm thinking of using a Kontronik FUN motor with about 26 cells in a project, and let's say that 40 amps continuous would be adequate for my application, it looks like the TMMŪ 4032-3s (Opto) controller on NEsail's website could work.

But i don't know if i should trust the automatic timing mode of these MGM Compro TMM controllers with the Kontronik motor... "Trust" meaning that i'll be assured to get as good efficiency as from a Jeti/Hacker Master controller.

Nor do i know if the manual program mode which lets the user adjust timing manually works well with Kontronik motors. Nor which timing setting to use? Would timing mode 1 in the TMM be the same as the Master controller's timing mode 1?

Also, anyone out there compared the TMM controllers versus Master controllers WITH Kontronik FUN motors?

Lots of questions cuz i've got lots to learn
Thanks in advance,
Mehrdad
planekrazy is offline Find More Posts by planekrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2002, 03:21 PM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
The silence on this topic is not too encouraging. I presume no one uses this combo...

Well, if not with a Kontronik FUN motor, is there anyone using the TMM 4032-3s OPTO controller with a Hacker B50 motor?

Talk to me, walk with me, work with me....
Old Nov 21, 2002, 04:07 PM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
Sent email to MGM Compro... no answer

Wonder if Sal at NEsail would provide some insight on this matter?
Old Nov 21, 2002, 06:46 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
I have not heard of such a controller and they aren't on MGM ComPro's own web site. Is this more advertising of something before it exists? If so, that could explain why there's no experience with it......

[edit] Went to NE Sailplanes' site and looked - very interesting. Will print out the instructions and study them then see if I can get an example for the column.....

[second edit] It looks like, from the MGM instructions, that the four fixed timing modes are all fairly comparable to those in the Jeti/Hackers. The frequency choices are also comparable.

The MGMs, if they exist, look like a great value. Their earlier types work pretty well for me - more in my next Controlling Interest column on them.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Nov 21, 2002 at 06:55 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 07:27 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
They do indead exist, I have the 8016 & 5024 in stock in my partners shop. Very nice looking controllers, fully programmable I have scanned the instruction manual and hope to put it up on our website soon. Unfortunately I do not have Kontronik motor to test them on, only Mega's at present.

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old Nov 21, 2002, 07:28 PM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
Thanks. And any more info will be much appreciated as well

The TMM Profi manual i downloaded does not provide specifics on the timing mode to use for different BL motors (the Jeti/Hacker Master instructions provide that critical info). I guess it missed it somewhere

The TMM Profi manual almost implies that automatic mode would provide the best efficiency and would be suggested by most applications..... which brings up another matter altogether. In auto mode, are they dynamically adjusting timing based on throttle setting or RPM and/or amp draw or what? Is that technique known to work well? Is the MGM auto-timing really really effective? Are they just ahead of the Master design, why would they offer a manual mode then? what would be the mitigating circumstances where auto-timing could be problematic?

Anyways, for easy reference here is a link to NEsail's website where the specs and manual of the new TMM Profi Line of controllers are available:
http://www.nesail.com/MGMcompro/New/...hlessprofi.htm