Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,194 Posts
Discussion
Question how to fix warp foam?

Hello to all,
I just started to build with foam, and after spending days building this airplane out of foam. The main wing has a warp from LE to TE full width of the wing! It has a carbon arrow to help keep it strait and balsa wood on the LE. How do you keep your wings from warping? This wing hasn't even been outside yet.
I have tried a hair dryer and that worked at first then about a hour later it was right be as before I used the hair dryer on it.
Any help would be great. Or link?
Thanks Dan T
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:45 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
You may need something stronger than a hair dryer... gotta' get the Foam to around 190 deg.... we use a Monokote heat Gun (carefully 400deg) and keep it weighted to something FLAT , like a table while heating and cooling ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:51 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
You may need something stronger than a hair dryer... gotta' get the Foam to around 190 deg.... we use a Monokote heat Gun (carefully 400deg) and keep it weighted to something FLAT , like a table while heating and cooling ...
Can you tell me more about you do this? Heat the foam on both sides? Or just the high side , you get the idea. 400 deg ! Seems like it would turn it to a runny mess?Any links with pictures on how too?
Even just using a hair dryer I could see the foam turning dull from glossy.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:20 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Dan , do one side , flip it over and re-weight it flat and do the other side ...keep the heat gun constantly moving and not too close ...or it will "go runny"...let it cool completely before removing the weights ... practice on scrap first to get used to the process...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 21, 2007, 03:02 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
I have used Glenns method on a curved fuselage, had to hold in place as it had bits fitted, worked a treat. Have also seen mention of flattening depron sheets with warps by placing between two heavy sheets of glass and leaving out in the hot sun (if you get any) for few hours, helps bake in the flatness.

No reason you could not use glass sheets and heat from outside with heat gun and then let it cool in place.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:48 AM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,194 Posts
Thanks guys, oh, there must be a link to a how to ? It might be a good sticky for someone to setup if not already done ? I have read tips and that covers many things and I don't think it covered warping foam?
Dan T