HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:14 AM
CA mechanic
Black Earth, WI
Joined Jul 2007
129 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub sleeps in the corn field

I got home from work on Wednesday wanting a flying fix, so I got out my Super Cub and walked out to the field (my backyard, that is).

Using poor judgement as usual I ran it for too long. I missed my first attempt at final and the battery gave up when I was trying to come around for another, and so the airplane wound up roughly in the middle of 10 acres of mature corn. No big deal, I've lost airplanes in corn fields before....

Thing is, the last time I had to walk a corn field looking for a lost airplane was when I was flying planes with my dad, thirty-some years ago. It was a hell of a lot easier to get around inside a corn field as a ten year-old. My recollection is that it was kind of fun. Not so anymore. I emerged from the field Wednesday night covered with mud and bird s***, cut up from the sharp leaves.... And no airplane, yet. And now it's supposed to rain for the rest of the week.

Since it's field corn I don't have to worry about the combine for another couple of months or so. I'll find it, but I'm sure that when I do the electronics will be junk.

Might be time for that Futaba/brushless/lipo upgrade I've been thinking about.
blackearthfd is offline Find More Posts by blackearthfd
Last edited by blackearthfd; Aug 19, 2007 at 08:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2007, 02:14 PM
and proud of it!
Northern Kentucky
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plane, hope you find it. A friend of mine was telling me he had a fly-away in a bean field; he never found his Eagle 2. It was a much larger field though.
Good luck!

KG
kentuckyglider is offline Find More Posts by kentuckyglider
Old Aug 19, 2007, 02:55 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,226 Posts
Sorry to hear of that

Do you know of anyone nearby who has a camera-equipped model aircraft? By far the easiest way to find downed models

Put a post up in this forum and you never know your luck

http://www.rcgroups.com/aerial-photography-128/

Hope you manage to retrieve it soon,

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:18 PM
CA mechanic
Black Earth, WI
Joined Jul 2007
129 Posts
Found her!

She was sitting upright between the rows. "This is good," I thought....

But with the eight inches of rain we got last weekend (yes, I said eight) it's a sure bet that at least some of the electronics were under water. There was a slug crawling in the battery pack.

So I took it apart, pulled the receiver/esc, and shook the water out of it. Then I blasted it out as well as I could with compressed air. Not expecting much, I hooked up a fresh pack.

... And it worked! All three channels were still operative!

Not wanting to run it for too long with wet electronics I shut her down, I'll take it to work tomorrow and take the receiver apart and thoroughly dry it. I need to assess the servos, too, to see if they are full of water... I'd be surprized if they were not.

Sure is nice to have it in my hands again, covered with mud though it is.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:49 PM
CA mechanic
Black Earth, WI
Joined Jul 2007
129 Posts
Yep, the SC is definitely airworthy once again. What a wonderful, robust airplane. I let the RX/ESC circuit board dry out, then cleaned it with CRC electrical contact cleaner and dried it again with shop air. Careful inspection of the receiver compartment showed that the "water line" was below the servos. I was prepared to dissassemble the servos and check for water intrusion, but I'm pretty sure they are OK.

I ran both NiMH packs dead this afternoon, giving everything a good workout. I'm certain that we're good to go.

My only concern is the battery pack, which as I said had a slug on it, trying to crawl inside. I am sure that this pack is junk, and will soon have internal corrosion. It was definately under water. No matter, My SC is going to get "Lipoed" very soon.

I would have flown her tonight, but for those nasty-looking clouds...

Weather permitting, she'll definately fly tomorrow night after work.
Last edited by blackearthfd; Aug 23, 2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 03:52 PM
and proud of it!
Northern Kentucky
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
Awesome, glad to hear you got it back in good shape!

KG
kentuckyglider is offline Find More Posts by kentuckyglider