HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2007, 05:52 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane - Odd engine noise, just bought today

Hello all,

I'm curious if there are other Flyzone Cessna 182 owners out there who might help me determine if I bought a lemon. I just bought it today, attached the wind and tail, and started it up. When I add throttle, the prop "seems" to be turning fine, but there is an odd and loud "thump thump thump thump thump" sound coming from the engine area when running. I have heard the sound made by several different electric engines before and I have never hear one like mine. If it does this for all owners then it must be fine, otherwise I am in fear of it being a lemon. Thank you all.

Overspeed
Overspeed is offline Find More Posts by Overspeed
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:38 AM
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
I would'nt worry about the thump just the crashing, LOL 4 of us have bought 6 of these and have not heard that sound from the motor.
These planes are under powered, watch out for stalls from taking off. They land better with a fast approach.
a69cougar is offline Find More Posts by a69cougar
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:54 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
901 Posts
There's no gearbox so the sound must be coming from the motor or motor mount. Check that the motor is tightly attached and not loose. I'd also check the prop balance. Turn the motor by hand and observe if there is any resistance other than the motor magnet forces.

If you cannot find the problem source and it gets worse, the manufacturer has excellent customer support and they stand behind their products.

In another note, this plane is RTF but hardly a micro. Maybe you can find threads about this plane in the Parkflyer forum?
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:50 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1 Posts
The engine is mounted to a plastic motor mount which is then mounted to a metal bar. The metal bars is held in place by the foam material. Pull the foam cowling off and check all those parts. There shouldn't be a thumping sound; It should sound smooth. I actually broke the plastic motor mount already and made my own. I had to cut power to the plane and had a nice nose dive!

I did have issues with the radio binding to the plane; I had the hobbie store get me another radio.
rcobo is offline Find More Posts by rcobo
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:19 PM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,267 Posts
Also, make sure you prop is set right. It has a hex shape on the back side that should seat on the nut threaded onto the shaft, then the outside washer and nut should keep it tight, If it's not seated properly, the thump, thump sound may be it slipping pass the notches as it spins slower than the shaft. Just an idea of something to check, hope all goes well.
BaracW is offline Find More Posts by BaracW
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:56 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Overspeed,
Welcome to RCGs!
As mentioned before, this is not a micro plane, so you will find info on it in other areas of these forums.
The thumping noise is surely the motor bell hitting something as it spins inside the cowl. There isn't a lot of room between the cowl and front of the motor so there could be a bit of rubbing going on.
You will find a Ton of info on this plane by going to the "Parkflier" plane section, then look for the thread titled ST Models Cessna 182 skylane. They are the SAME models, just different stickers. You will get a ton of good info and help on this great airplane. IT is an awsome flying plane and well loved by many.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:47 AM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Overspeed,
Welcome to RCGs!
As mentioned before, this is not a micro plane, so you will find info on it in other areas of these forums.
The thumping noise is surely the motor bell hitting something as it spins inside the cowl. There isn't a lot of room between the cowl and front of the motor so there could be a bit of rubbing going on.
You will find a Ton of info on this plane by going to the "Parkflier" plane section, then look for the thread titled ST Models Cessna 182 skylane. They are the SAME models, just different stickers. You will get a ton of good info and help on this great airplane. IT is an awsome flying plane and well loved by many.
Ken
You are thinking of the flyzone cessna select,of which is kinda better.
Hate to brake it to you but ,the flyzone cessna is notorious for being a plane that does not fly! (It is not brushless or include a 6ch radio.)

Post 800!
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Last edited by sonicjet; Feb 14, 2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:53 AM
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,267 Posts
Yeah, that will be the confusion problem that will exist, because Flyzone had the smart idea to come out with 2 planes at the same time, named the same thing. I thought the op was talking about the new "Select" too. I've had both, well the ST Models version of the Select. If the op is referring to the original 4 channel Cessna 182 Skylane, do yourself a serious favor and replace the stock motor and esc with a nice little brushless setup. Will be a "world of difference" airplane.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:57 AM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaracW
Yeah, that will be the confusion problem that will exist, because Flyzone had the smart idea to come out with 2 planes at the same time, named the same thing. I thought the op was talking about the new "Select" too.
Actualy the cessna select is the originals replacement.
The original is more than 3 years old.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:37 PM
Flight training in Carbondale IL
Joined Feb 2009
155 Posts
so does anyone know if the newest of the 2 (one with flaps) is still underpowered?
raven01 is offline Find More Posts by raven01
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:14 AM
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet
Actualy the cessna select is the originals replacement.
The original is more than 3 years old.
Yet, they still sell both.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:15 AM
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven01
so does anyone know if the newest of the 2 (one with flaps) is still underpowered?
In a word, NO! The Select and it's variantshave great power to weight ratio and is very scale like in it's performance.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:20 PM
Flight training in Carbondale IL
Joined Feb 2009
155 Posts
cooool thansk
raven01 is offline Find More Posts by raven01