SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:13 AM
Ostrander, Ohio
Joined Aug 2007
3 Posts
Discussion
Large Scale Military Wheeled R/C vehicles

Is there a group building large scale (1/5, 1/4, etc.) military vehicles for R/C? There are plenty of tanks out there, but I have not seen any military trucks or other vehicles (except for the Hummer). I am especially interested in WWII era machines, but also would like to see any "special forces" type off-road trucks/cars. The Baja 5b seems to be a great candidate for some attention to detail in a military conversion; twin machine guns, light armour, that sort of thing. This would definately not be a "race" vehicle, but one that could represent a branch of service special purpose machine.
FerretDriver is offline Find More Posts by FerretDriver
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:21 PM
Ostrander, Ohio
Joined Aug 2007
3 Posts
1/5 - 1/6 Scale Military Vehicles

I have also wondered about finding a 1/5 or 1/6 scale military wheeled vehicle. I own a full size (8900 pounds) 1960 Daimler "Ferret" Scout Car. The "Dingo" of WWII was a very similar vehicle.
Both these are very suitable for building a scale version because there are virtually no curved parts. The hull of my Ferret is all welded flat plate construction. It is also a rear engine vehicle with a nice big lift-off engine deck for access to the drive train. With some ingenuity it should be possible to craft a very nice scale version. Having a good handle on welding aluminum would be about the only body issue. I am hoping I can find a fellow Ferret owner who is rebuilding or repainting their vehicle to take some accurate measurements of the various plates that make up the hull and turret. Better yet would be an original Daimler (manufacturer of the Ferret) drawings with the plate measurements. Each plate has a number, so that would make it easy to craft the individual pieces. The only part with a curve is the muffler guard, a very easy piece to fabricate.
Ferret Owner in Ohio
FerretDriver is offline Find More Posts by FerretDriver
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:19 AM
Michigan, Tri City area
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
Ocasionally on Fleabay, i ve have seen a few WWII Tracked Nazi carriers, not sure what they are called. kink of like a a Tracked truck with enclosed back end. but they wernt cheap. hand/custom built and seen the prices around 3500. but the slale and detail was OUTStanding!!! to say the least
Timmahh is offline Find More Posts by Timmahh