Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:01 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Well, it looks like they got their cyclic right.

I'm pleased to see they seem to be running the head speed I settled in on (25-2700rpm).

The HDX allows better battery placement and a lot more room. With the larger gear, the motor and battery will be more forward so balancing a larger pack (twin 4s 2200's like mine) looks like it will be a challenge.

I like the HDX boom mount much, much, much better. Simple, light, durable and holds perfect.

I like that the TREX frame is wide enough to fit the servos back to back so there won't be different length link rods. Adds some weight though...maybe not too much. Then again I don't get much interaction anyway.

Since the servos are spaced wider plus the link balls are on the outside, that swash must be much bigger than the HDX one. I'm not sure if this affects flight performance though...the HDX isn't really limited by this...well mine isn't anyway.

I hate the Trex tail drive gear/pulley thing...I always have. Noisey, inefficient, critical on tension adjustment. I like the HDX method much better.

It looks to me that the HDX is lighter.

Overall, I'd say HDX is ahead...they just need to get the cyclic to what it should be and they got 'em...Oh yeah, and HDX needs to loose the cruddy yellow canopy thing!
BobOD is offline Find More Posts by BobOD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:41 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
I forgot one more thing. Align has a bigger main gear. I used to be a proponent of high motor rpm but the HDX500 has taught me something. The much lower motor rpm produces much less wear on the main gear. I've put hundreds of flights on my main gear and there's virtually no wear...like it's brand new! By comparison, my Trex450 wears out the gear within 100 flights even with a quality gear. How much energy is going to eating up the gear? Of course I'm comparing a motor turning 45000 rpm (trex450) to one turning 14000 rpm(hdx500) so it's apples to oranges but the point is, I'm much more impressed with the HDX gearing than I thought I'd be.

As far as performance, it may not be as efficient as it could be but my hp-z3025-08 has all the torque it needs for high performance.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:06 AM
Shiok Lah
The little red dot
Joined Sep 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDY C
Have u seen the videos and pics of the new Align 500 on HeliFreak? Sure does look good. Looks like a solid flyer. As u stated earlier, We'll see..
Sorry for butting in, Rudy ...But I'll say, with the "Pros" Align has flying their latest 500 ship for them, ...They had BETTER look good !

Bob's right, ...for the HDX's US$199 vs Align's US$250-$350 (Estimated) I think the choice is pretty clear for me.

Cheers !
Tony
Ghostfit is offline Find More Posts by Ghostfit
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:27 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
NEW thread of modded SAH W/VID !!

Just wanted to post this for all to see...VERY impressive mod for FASTER cyclic...and a vid to show off

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=1

And...direct youtube link
HDX500 3D video with Charley Stephen's mods (3 min 3 sec)

-Enjoy !!

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:51 AM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Better but not quite there just yet...IMO. This heli CAN do better. The vid is a little far out so it's hard to tell but the fast movements seem to be collective and tail. Stationary flips are the best way to show off cyclic rate...I didn't see any here. Also, I could be wrong but that seemed to be a pretty insane head speed. The Trex500 was running 2500 to 2650 in their vids. I ran up at 2900+ for a bit...way too power hungry.

Regarding the cost difference, I'd pay $100 more for a better performing machine...after all, it's $800 to $900 before it's all outfitted so what's an extra $100 (if that's all it is)? To be a winner, I think the HDX needs to match this performance...which it CAN. In fact, there's no technical reason it couldn't surpass it since the HDX looks like a lighter design.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:38 AM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOD
Better but not quite there just yet...IMO. This heli CAN do better. The vid is a little far out so it's hard to tell but the fast movements seem to be collective and tail. Stationary flips are the best way to show off cyclic rate...I didn't see any here. Also, I could be wrong but that seemed to be a pretty insane head speed. The Trex500 was running 2500 to 2650 in their vids. I ran up at 2900+ for a bit...way too power hungry.

Regarding the cost difference, I'd pay $100 more for a better performing machine...after all, it's $800 to $900 before it's all outfitted so what's an extra $100 (if that's all it is)? To be a winner, I think the HDX needs to match this performance...which it CAN. In fact, there's no technical reason it couldn't surpass it since the HDX looks like a lighter design.
There's a HD vid (have yet to download). I agree with you bout hard to see, but the sounds tell alot Think you referred to yours as 'barking' This dog is REALLY barking
Bob...on the cnc mixer arms you made...the inner hole is for (slower or faster cyclic) ? Common sense says slower.

-Dave
Old Nov 14, 2007, 01:13 PM
nananabooboo!!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Lonelasso, how was the performance @ 1900 rpm? I'm looking to set mine up for sports flying, I'll never be a 3D Guru myself....

I'll probably put a 980KV motor in it and run it from (2) 15C TREX packs.

BTW, I just received mine. HIDEOUS canopy!!! and not impressed by the landing gear either. Other than that everything else looks good.
nieves50 is offline Find More Posts by nieves50
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:12 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
The inner hole is for faster cyclic. This is because it is on the input (from swash) side of the lever. The inner hole will rotate the lever more for a given swash tilt. On the other side of the lever (where the original HDX lever had 2 holes) this would get faster cyclic in the outer hole (I didn't bother with the slower hole here). Get it?

BTW, using that inner hole on the input side also increases the ratio of flybar tilt to main blade pitch. A little harder to see this but the result is increased stability as well as cyclic rate. A 2 fer.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:22 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieves50
Lonelasso, how was the performance @ 1900 rpm? I'm looking to set mine up for sports flying, I'll never be a 3D Guru myself....

BTW, I just received mine. HIDEOUS canopy!!! and not impressed by the landing gear either. Other than that everything else looks good.
Thank you!!! I've been searching for the best adjective for that canopy. "HIDEOUS" is the word.

I kinda like the landing skids. A little too squat but I slammed mine down once really hard (As I recall, it was due to a Heiney belch ). I thought sure it would be broken. I think it just flexed until the frame hit...no damage. Tail fin is a little flimsey but I've not hit the blades yet...have to be careful on startup though...tail rotation can bend the fin right over...use slow start and rubber grommets on the skids are a must.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:53 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Anyone know the tail shaft size? Going to make a longer one.
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:01 PM
Rave heaven
Chicago surburbanite
Joined Nov 2006
5,125 Posts
wow. really ecaf? what will you be making it out of? If you do, i'm intersted
helitaiwan963 is offline Find More Posts by helitaiwan963
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:08 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecaf
Anyone know the tail shaft size? Going to make a longer one.
If you're trying to get more left turn pitch, there's a better way. Shorter tail links. Take a look back a ways in this thread. Someone made new links out of carbon fibre. You could use plastic or even aluminum. Drill the two holes 8.5mm apart and then just file or grind to shape.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:13 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
I agree thats better, but its easier for me to get a longer shaft and put a hole in it than to make new links.

No time

Steve, are you listening? These links would be a great seller.

Or anyone for that matter. Scott?

Bob, ever consider making more and selling them?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:14 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helitaiwan963
wow. really ecaf? what will you be making it out of? If you do, i'm intersted

Hardened steel drill blank.

Mcmaster.com is your friend. If I make one, Ill do one for you too.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:20 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieves50

I'm no 3d extreme guru either ! 980kv oughta be s w e e t 1900 was very docile and yet I can hardly tell the diff sound wise running 2200 ! It's THAT quite
BTW...I ran some 4S 2100s for testing and they werent happy at ALL. Were very warm after 6 mins !

-Dave