HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:26 PM
Suspended Account
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemanty
i plan on using hs81's for cyclic, and a 9650 for the tail.
Tyler, you ordered a new kit already????????????
brovic777 is offline Find More Posts by brovic777
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:40 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brovic777
Tyler, you ordered a new kit already????????????
no, not yet...
i am still trying to decide on what heli to get... and right now, this one is looking good..
i was going to get a 600n, but nothing irratates me more than engine trouble... i learned that from rc cars.
so now i am kind of stuck between a 600e, the rc-tek500, and this
and since the hdx 500sa is really cheap, i may try it..

it will only be a temporary thing.. the dragonus 500 will come out sometime around november or december. and i am deffinetly buying that.

so as soon as i hear some good flight reports and all the good stuff i want to hear, i will buy.
and i just happen to have enough money to buy the sa kit and almost everything needed.
i already have the servos, gyro, and receiver. so i will only need a motor, esc, and a kit, and maybe some 4 or 5s packs... but i may just double up 3s packs.. not sure yet
moosemanty is offline Find More Posts by moosemanty
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:09 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Tail blade grip trouble !

Ok...just got done fussing with the tail blade grip bolts. Was not able to get 'em loose ! They were CA'd..which is good, but the nut (which is recessed..also good) began to turn in the recess. I used the smallest flat screwdriver I have to put pressure against the side of the nut to hold it while turning the bolt. That worked...but was frustrating just the same.
I believe the recess needs to be either 1.deeper or 2. tail blade grip needs to be a 'harder' material. 3. instead of CAing the bolt...use a m2 fiber nut. That might be the easiest thing to do.
Also....one of the main blade grip outside thrust bearing washers was on backwards ! There is a groove on one side and it was facing outward (towards the washer/FS bolt). I also had a devil of a time getting the FS bolts to break loose
So, check the thrust bearing washers ! JPC suggested white grease when re-assembling.

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Last edited by Lonelasso; Aug 19, 2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:24 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOD
Weights.
Frame - 233g
Head Assy - 154g
Flybar and Paddles - 43g (I can't wait to wrap this around!!! Sturdy flybar.)
Gear/Clutch/Pulley Assy - 49g
Tail Boom and Braces and linkage - 58g
Fins and Mount - 20g
Canopy mounts - 6g (steel for some reason? not that much weight but I'm gonna remake from alum just on princepal)
Tail Assy w/belt - 52g
Canopy - 92g
Main Blades - 120g
Landing skid - 38g

Total - 865g

Could easily shed 60g with lighter blades (CF or Wood), and another 40 with a lighter canopy (only part of the kit I'm not happy with).
That would make it 765g!!!
Thank you Bob. So now we can see this comparison between the weights as measured by users:

Code:
HDX500 Kit Weight (g) Comparison
================================
                                    SAH  SE
----------------------------------  ---  ---
Frame                               233  275
Head Assy                           154  213
Flybar and Paddles                   43   22
Gear/Clutch/Pulley Assy              49   50
Tail Boom and Braces and linkage     58   72
Fins and Mount                       20   19
Canopy mounts                         6
Tail Assy w/belt                     52   53
Canopy                               92   75
Main Blades                         120  117
Landing skid                         38   44
Total                               865  940
The measurements were not expressed in exactly the same way but I have done my best to correlate them. The difference in the frames is about 40g or 14%. I am suprised by the difference in the canopies and wonder why the plastic tail assy is not significantly lighter than the alloy one ?
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:33 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
You beat me to it Dave. My high expectations of this kit just started to crumble.

Starts with the cheap tools that come with the kit. Undersized...I threw them out...good thing I have a decent set. Still, the hex sockets in the screws are very shallow, and all over the place. Some of the smaller ones I had to use a worn inch wrench I happened to have. All this plus the nuts spinning around on the tail blade grips. I'm starting to see in the future...oops I had a little spill and broke a tail blade/ 2 hours later and it's all fixed up. Wow, I've had MUCH better luck with cross head screws...go figure. I even had trouble removing some of the ones that were screwed into plastic!!!!!!!

This is so maddening. Some shrewd buisiness man gets wealthy by saving .001 cents per screw and there are always morons willing to buy them!!!

Not as bad as the 3dx450 stuff actually but this is a GREAT kit RUINED by 15 or 20 lousy screws.

So now I start the hunt for new screws...gonna be hard to find some of them.
BobOD is offline Find More Posts by BobOD
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:42 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Nice side by side Ken!
Diff with the tail caught me too??? Can't imagine...this one is pretty light.
The canopy is pretty big and rather thick plastic..seems like ABS. Probably kinda durable but rather heavy.

What really gets me is that the SE has always been advertised as 870g. Anybody notice that?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:45 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Tip for you steve, the screws supplied with the canopy mounts were the wrong size. The ones supplied for mounting servos were the correct thread size but too long.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:45 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
You beat me to it Dave. My high expectations of this kit just started to crumble.

Starts with the cheap tools that come with the kit. Undersized...I threw them out...good thing I have a decent set. Still, the hex sockets in the screws are very shallow, and all over the place. Some of the smaller ones I had to use a worn inch wrench I happened to have. All this plus the nuts spinning around on the tail blade grips. I'm starting to see in the future...oops I had a little spill and broke a tail blade/ 2 hours later and it's all fixed up. Wow, I've had MUCH better luck with cross head screws...go figure. I even had trouble removing some of the ones that were screwed into plastic!!!!!!!

This is so maddening. Some shrewd buisiness man gets wealthy by saving .001 cents per screw and there are always morons willing to buy them!!!

Not as bad as the 3dx450 stuff actually but this is a GREAT kit RUINED by 15 or 20 lousy screws.

So now I start the hunt for new screws...gonna be hard to find some of them.
I've had better luck so far with the 'important' ones (tail blade grip nuts excluded...uhhh..forgot the landing gear bolt) and I'm still pretty happy and am committed (like I have a choice now...lol) to finish and FLY my SA
Hang in there Bob !

-Dave
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Try contacting Toby at www.takeoffandland.com.au, I think he might have a replacement screw/bolt set.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:05 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Not to worry, I'll get it fixed up. I generally enjoy challenges, just not stupid silly ones.

Seriously, have you tried getting a screw out of the swash for example? I can't wait until my first crash. I hope Helidirect is paying attention here and has the authority to fix this. It is this kind of thing that will make this heli a failure. Which would be such a shame given all the good things about it.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:19 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDirect
Anyone else interested in mounting the tail servo on the boom?

Steve
In fact, from what I can tell so far, it'll be necessary in order to get the heli to balance correctly.
I have a 400g battery (2 x 4s2100 evolite which is pretty light) mounted all the way back on the bat tray and my s9650 will need to go half way back on the boom. This might turn out to be a good thing for the tail linkage. I don't have the servos and motor yet but this should only make it worse. I'm thinking of remounting the tray more vertical and further back.
Last edited by BobOD; Aug 19, 2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 09:45 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Bob,

Can you post some photos with the batteries mounted please ? What are the dimensions of your compound 4s2p pack and what sort of clearance is there for the canopy ?

I am thinking of using some AirThunder packs which are a bit bigger than other similar capacity lipos and just wondering if they will fit.

Code:
AirThunder HDX500 LiPo comparison
=================================
AT  = AirThunder 25c
FP  = FlightPower EVO 25c
FPL = FlightPower EVO Light 18c

-----------  ------  ------  ----------------  -----
Pack         Config  Weight  Size (W x H x L)  Price
                      (g)         (mm)          USD
AT  3s 2200    2p     380    37 x 60 x 113      126
AT  4s 2200    2p     490    37 x 80 x 113      152
AT  3s 5000    1p     395    45 x 30 x 145      155
AT  4s 5000    1p     527    45 x 40 x 145      205

FP  3s 2170    2p     352    36 x 48 x 112     ~150
FPL 3s 2500    2p     352    34 x 54 x 110     ~160
FP  4s 2100    2p     370    33 x 28 x 114     ~170
FP  4s 3300    1p     351    44 x 25 x 142     ~170
FP  4s 3700    1p     376    44 x 30 x 142     ~190
FPL 4s 4250    1p     392    43 x 30 x 147     ~180
The AT 2x2200 2p configurations are too big for the SE frame but might fit on the SA frame. The 1p packs are quite a bit longer, 140-150mm, is this too long for both frames ?
Last edited by kgfly; Aug 19, 2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking of remounting the tray more vertical and further back.
JPC and I discussed that very thing Bob...which is nice to be able to do ! Just snapped some more pics

-Dave
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Not to worry, I'll get it fixed up. I generally enjoy challenges, just not stupid silly ones.

Seriously, have you tried getting a screw out of the swash for example? I can't wait until my first crash. I hope Helidirect is paying attention here and has the authority to fix this. It is this kind of thing that will make this heli a failure. Which would be such a shame given all the good things about it.
I've removed all the screws from swash/mixer arms/washout levers and loctited or CA'd before replacing without (except for FS bolts being extremely tight) any probs.

Not sure failure is the right word Bob I can think of another hdx that was pretty darn close though. Every 'new' product has some initial irritations and we're the guiena pigs (remember ?)

I appreciate your continued input !!

-Dave
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:36 AM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
BTW, it seems like I'm jumping on a lot of negaitves but in the end I just hope the feedback is taken and improvements made before it gets a bad rap. I did get all the swash screws out...was a bit afraid to go at em after having so much trouble with the ball screws in plastic...they were the real buggers. The tail thing was two problems combined, understandable for a first off. My suggestion here would be to simply thread onto the plastic and get rid of the nut.
All in all, I can't beleive all I got for 200 bucks...I'd have paid more! Just don't tell Steve.