HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2007, 04:25 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Congrats, Dave! Glad to hear she's alive. Now if the rain will just hold off, maybe you can get some more hovering in this afternoon.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2007, 04:57 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Congrats, Dave! Glad to hear she's alive. Now if the rain will just hold off, maybe you can get some more hovering in this afternoon.

-Chris
Thank YOU Chris !!! Thought I'd be intimidated and nervous, (and I was....a little), but after I was at mid-stick and she lifted...it became familiar Of course...I had to close my mouth and remember to breath again !
Figured out how to fix tail rod linkage problem (too long)....tension the belt some more !!!! It's still amazing to me what 1/16th of an inch can do with these amazing machines !
As Bob said...need more LIPOS !!

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Sep 02, 2007, 06:48 PM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
Need a tall ball ? Or...just snipped off the offending spoke
-Dave
Dave, the kit should have come with a ball for the tail servo. Look under the Heiney caps. Furthest out on the 6 point is where I found to work well.

Blade grips about 1/4 to 3/8 turn past snug. They're heavy blades, you need to start up real slow. I just finished tweaking the startup and thrdl response on my ph80...pretty good now. Oh yeah, and I put 4 rubber bands on the skids for traction...no skid rubbers came for it. You seem to have a different skid, mine are white. Pretty good though...I slammed it down pretty hard after I got the pitch range up. DUH...like I just forgot
Anyway, they took a good hit...well twice actually...I can be slow to learn sometimes

BTW, I keep finding more and more things I love about this heli. Way better at chopping bugs than my 450. Lotsa red and green splats on the blades. And I just blew the leaves from my driveway. And, when I try to terrorize the ground hogs with the 450, they often stand up on hinds and challenge...freaks me out...I usually retreat!!! With the HDX500, he ran in panic!!!
BobOD is offline Find More Posts by BobOD
Old Sep 02, 2007, 07:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOD
Dave, the kit should have come with a ball for the tail servo. Look under the Heiney caps. Furthest out on the 6 point is where I found to work well.

Blade grips about 1/4 to 3/8 turn past snug. They're heavy blades, you need to start up real slow. I just finished tweaking the startup and thrdl response on my ph80...pretty good now. Oh yeah, and I put 4 rubber bands on the skids for traction...no skid rubbers came for it. You seem to have a different skid, mine are white. Pretty good though...I slammed it down pretty hard after I got the pitch range up. DUH...like I just forgot
Anyway, they took a good hit...well twice actually...I can be slow to learn sometimes

BTW, I keep finding more and more things I love about this heli. Way better at chopping bugs than my 450. Lotsa red and green splats on the blades. And I just blew the leaves from my driveway. And, when I try to terrorize the ground hogs with the 450, they often stand up on hinds and challenge...freaks me out...I usually retreat!!! With the HDX500, he ran in panic!!!
Will take another look thru the Heiney caps then ! Good to know bout the skids Bob. Noticed she squats under AUW when I set er down ! Same skids as your...just got out the glossy black spray can. Yep....I love killing flys/mosquitos and an occasional grasshopper and blowing off the sidewalk/driveway ! No ground hogs here..lmbo
You're 3D skills are ALOT further along than mine...HELL, I cant even do nose in yet !! That's what the Compy FP is for
Check you PM box Bob !

-Dave
Old Sep 02, 2007, 09:12 PM
Joined Jul 2007
61 Posts
Nice work on the levers Bob. I went flying this afternoon and I got to tel u guys what happened. Like a jerk I decided to switch out the SE head and put the plastic SA head and gear on. I measured the diameter of the plastic grips and they were smaller than the metal ones. After setting it up all afternoon, I go to the field shove a batt in it and all hell breaks loose! The plastic head blew up! Blades and levers everywhere. Bent main, broke a blade, broke the servo arm. I was only 3 ft off the ground. Be careful of the plastic head it is weak right above the 2mm securing screw. I just got done putting the SE head back on it. Dave: pitch curves are as follows Normal-20 25 50 75 100 Stunt: 0 2 50 75 100. Swash 70ele 70 ali 85pitch This gives me +10-10 Fun to fly, slow cyclic. Hey Bob, wanta make some money?
RUDY C is offline Find More Posts by RUDY C
Old Sep 02, 2007, 10:29 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDY C
Nice work on the levers Bob. I went flying this afternoon and I got to tel u guys what happened. Like a jerk I decided to switch out the SE head and put the plastic SA head and gear on. I measured the diameter of the plastic grips and they were smaller than the metal ones. After setting it up all afternoon, I go to the field shove a batt in it and all hell breaks loose! The plastic head blew up! Blades and levers everywhere. Bent main, broke a blade, broke the servo arm. I was only 3 ft off the ground. Be careful of the plastic head it is weak right above the 2mm securing screw. I just got done putting the SE head back on it. Dave: pitch curves are as follows Normal-20 25 50 75 100 Stunt: 0 2 50 75 100. Swash 70ele 70 ali 85pitch This gives me +10-10 Fun to fly, slow cyclic. Hey Bob, wanta make some money?
Damn Rudy...sorry to hear bout that. I've had a plastic head explode on my MX 400 What was your headspeed ?

-Dave
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:00 AM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Rudy...so sorry to hear that. Any chance you could snap a pic so we can see where it broke. It looks like they have a moulded in metal sleeve in the main housing where it goes on the main shaft. Seems like a good attempt at a strong design but the plastic is pretty thin at the top of that metal sleeve. Ya got me worried.

BTW, how were you getting +/-10 collective? Was that with the stock SA head? I didn't think it would much more than +/- 8 without binding the swash.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:12 AM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDY C
Hey Bob, wanta make some money?

To be honest, I would love to. It would be nice to be able to make money doing something I enjoy so, but, unless I could make and sell them by the hundreds (at least) I'd never make anything. Then, all someone has to do is copy and source from China and I'd be done. Interestingly, I'm involved with sourcing equipment from China at my job at the moment but not anything pertaining to this kind of stuff.

However, anybody who wants to come over and chop some of these darned trees down can have all the retro kits they want. You know, the trees I keep runnin' into.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:30 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Those bast... I mean, great people at helidirect have the HDX500SA as the deal of the day for $139! I may not be able to resist.
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:45 AM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
OH MAN...WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE TRYING TO DO TO ME. I can't afford such deals!!! Where's my wallet? And another Heiney.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:10 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
You lucky bast...s that live in the US get everything so cheap and easy - dammit!
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:23 AM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Hey Kenneth, I'll sell ya one for 139 dollars. Plus a small shipping fee of course.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Just ordered mine for spare parts. $139 and that's free shipping!!! I'm left to wonder what's up with that...they can't be making money can they???
Last edited by BobOD; Sep 03, 2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:44 AM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOD

Just ordered mine for spare parts. $139 and that's free shipping!!! I'm left to wonder what's up with that...they can't be making money can they???
ahh... that's where you are wrong...
they may not make money on the kit, but if someone buys one, guess where they have to buy all there spares from?
moosemanty is offline Find More Posts by moosemanty
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:53 AM
Tree Antagonist
New York
Joined Dec 2006
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemanty
ahh... that's where you are wrong...
they may not make money on the kit, but if someone buys one, guess where they have to buy all there spares from?
Perhaps, but their spare part prices are pretty reasonable too.

And to show my appreciation, I'll give them a sales pitch.
If anyone is buying one from Helidirect and you need a good gyro, get the logictech 2100T while you're at it. I like it better than the gy401.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 02:59 AM
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
bastards
Ichigo is offline Find More Posts by Ichigo