HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:42 PM
Camas, WA
Joined Nov 2002
120 Posts
Discussion
Swift 16 thrust bearing & blade grip issue

Should the "ball holding frame" face the larger or small ID of the bearing?
After disassembly, I may have put it back incorrectly.
The composite grips I just received have a slight larger inner ID than the crashed ones from my kit. They are sending me a recplacement. In the ones from the kit, the thrust bearings will just fall into place. The replacement ones required a force fit with a resulting bind.
Paint Man is offline Find More Posts by Paint Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:01 PM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
When you place thrust bearings right up against radial bearings, the grooved thrust bearing washer can contact both the inner and outer race- this is what you want to avoid, since this will cause drag. A squealing noise can also result.

Prevent the rotating parts from contacting the non-rotating parts and you are good to go.

I prefer to use a super-thin shim washer between the thrust and radial bearing. This washer has the same outside diameter but the inside diameter is larger, allowing the inner race of the radial bearing to spin free.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:50 PM
volts x amps = watts.
Denver
Joined Sep 2006
2,146 Posts
1: The inner race should have a larger ID and OD, it should move with the grip, not touching the spindle.

2: The outer race should have a smaller ID and OD and should move with the spindle, not touching the grip.

3: The bearing cage should be packed with grease, and the open "cupped" portion should point inward toward the inner race. This prevents the grease from being thrown out of the cage at high headspeed. (Picture spinning around holding a cup of water, if the cup opening is facing you, the water stays in the cup. Turn it around and you'll need a mop.
Wheelhaus is offline Find More Posts by Wheelhaus
Old Aug 16, 2007, 06:33 PM
Camas, WA
Joined Nov 2002
120 Posts
Replacement grips

Thanks for the bearing info. I wrote it up wrong about the inner diameter of the replacement grips. They have a SMALLER ID and also there is some obvious flashing inside. I think the flashing may cause a misalignment of the radial bearings. Has anyone had any problem like this?
Paint Man is offline Find More Posts by Paint Man
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:25 PM
volts x amps = watts.
Denver
Joined Sep 2006
2,146 Posts
the races will self-align so long as one of them fits acainst the apropriate seat correctly. The inner race will center both if it fits in the grip snugly. The outer race will center both if it fits snug around the spindle stub.
Wheelhaus is offline Find More Posts by Wheelhaus