SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
Joined Nov 2006
5 Posts
Discussion
Airsail "HERON"

I am still stocking an Airsail "Heron" kit after a visit to NZ about 20 years ago, but now I am considering it for the "autumn project". Does anyone have first hand experience with the model ? Building - modifications - engine - flying etc? The dihedral looks excessive and the wing location and mounting rail a bit strange. I'm living in Norway and the Heron has travelled far already.
ssyv is offline Find More Posts by ssyv
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2007, 07:43 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
435 Posts
I assume you mean the 'Heron Gas Buggy'.

I built one a few years back. The dihedral is probably fine for low powered free-flight, but too much for the size of the tail-group with normal RC size engines. I flew mine with a number of different engines: -
. PAW .049 - not enough power
. PAW .09 - throttled but too much at wide open throttle
. Gilbert .07 - barely enough
. Taipan Tyro - way too much power.

The model is easy to build if you are used to the old-timer style construction. The floppy undercarriage I replaced with single legs of slightly heavier wire. There is plenty of room for RC gear. The airfoil is undercambered and quite high lift. The model flies *very* slowly. As I recall the plan etc with the kit does not show an R/C installation, in fact the instructions are the original 1938 version.

It depends on what you want from the model. If you are happy with authentic old-timer style performance I would leave the kit pretty much as is. If you want a model to 'putt around' I would reduce the dihedral slightly, replace the under-carriage, and pack up the back trailing edge of the wing a bit to stop it zooming up at any speed above walking pace. If you are powering with an IC engine I would use a throttle .09 glow of some sort, Enya or OS LA10. I believe a PAW .06 diesel would be enough.

Enjoy the model. It's one I plan to build again for puttering around.
johnvb is offline Find More Posts by johnvb
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:07 PM
Joined Nov 2006
5 Posts
Thank you for the input. I have a PAW 06 with throttle which I will try -
"putt around" may definitively be the right flying style for this model.
ssyv is offline Find More Posts by ssyv
Old Aug 27, 2007, 06:29 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,394 Posts
Airsail recommend a 1 cc - 2.5cc for it. (see their web site)
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi