HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2007, 02:34 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Discussion
When a 12volt 50Ah is just not enough.

Months ago before I got side tracked by a move I had decided to move up to .40 size / 48" WS or so electrics. One of the problems is charging higher voltage / Ah packs at the field with no AC available. Basicly I do not trust cheap power plants as they could wipe out an inverter and charger (s) so a many Ah deep cycle(s) seemed like the logical choice. Not wanting messey, flooded cells ,heavy deep cycles in the cargo (planes) area here is my solution.

FYI : These are Energizer E29HM batteries / Johnson Controls and Battery Group
Post here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=61

has some wiring photos.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; May 16, 2008 at 06:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
Victoria, TX
Joined Mar 2005
105 Posts
Whow! That's what I'm talkin' bout! Quite the sweet setup there. Sure to make many an aeromodeller envious. Are you using a lot of the A123's now Charles?
Thanks, Brian
vbpflyer is offline Find More Posts by vbpflyer
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Alright, I must know how you secured the batteries at the rear of the truck so that you're not worried about them falling during acceleration, braking, and turning? I ask because I too am carting two deep cycle batteries to and from the field.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:27 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbpflyer
Whow! That's what I'm talkin' bout! Quite the sweet setup there. Sure to make many an aeromodeller envious. Are you using a lot of the A123's now Charles?
Thanks, Brian
I am using A123s in everything over 200 watts , which happens to be the two aircraft pictured plus two 2 meter gliders and a brushless powered RC truck.

Charles
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle Harper
Alright, I must know how you secured the batteries at the rear of the truck so that you're not worried about them falling during acceleration, braking, and turning? I ask because I too am carting two deep cycle batteries to and from the field.

Blazer has a receiver trailer hitch. The trailer ball mount goes through the 2X10 (sets on the area where the ball would go) is bolted with a 1/2" bolt. The two battery boxs are fastened with two each 3/8 " bolts and then a strap goes over each battery box.

The receiver is rated for 500 pounds and the 2X10 has no problem supporting my biody weight of 165 pounds. I even stood on top of the batteries (285 lbs. total)and bounched up and down.

Charles
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:35 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
That's the cat's meow! Very nice rig and I'm envious of your shop.
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Aug 16, 2007, 04:46 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Yikes, going to need hazmat if you get rear-ended, although they might lessen the impact a bit.
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Aug 16, 2007, 07:00 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad
Yikes, going to need hazmat if you get rear-ended, although they might lessen the impact a bit.
Where are you lipos in your auto while driving around?? Mine are in the rear of the SUV, if rear ended hard enough I would guess a Fire would/could be possible, I myself want some "Hazardous Material " or something in that nature sign to go on my back windshield, I hate tail gaters.

We do all carry Fire extinguisher's in our plane carriers ( cars/truck) right..
We should.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:05 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Blazer has a receiver trailer hitch. The trailer ball mount goes through the 2X10 (sets on the area where the ball would go) is bolted with a 1/2" bolt. The two battery boxs are fastened with two each 3/8 " bolts and then a strap goes over each battery box.

Charles
Are the batteries then just doing a balancing act on the 2x10?
And is the only thing holding the 2x10 with the batteries to the receiver hitch just one 1/2" bolt?

It would seem a bit wobbly or bouncy and over time that could wear the bolt hole out to the point where it fails. Maybe some fat washers would help. Also the 2x10 will tend to flex over time while doing the balancing act.

Since I read how you approached this, my first thoughts for stability improvement were to use some angle iron and build a tray for the 2x10 and weld this to the receiver hitch and then weld some opposite supports underneath the tray to the hitch. This way the angle iron is holding the weight while supporting the 2x10 from all sides.

I'm not trying to criticize your design but I just want you to be safe while traveling down the road. The last thing you want it to get to the field and have no batteries and then have no idea where you lost them or worse have caused an accident somewhere.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Tool and Die Maker / Machine Designer / builder for close to 40 years.
If it were not safe it would not be on there.
I was going to have one welded up or weld one myself when I get my welder moved over to my new location but will most likely purchase a trailer(enclosed) down the road anyway.
Do you ever seat on a wodden bench or walk across a wodden bridge? Have you ever tried to break a 2X10 into?

Charles
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:59 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,801 Posts
I Guess I/we should have taken a pic of it before the boxes were mounted
The 2x10 has a hole cut out and the trailer hitch goes through the 2x10 then the bolt holds it together.

I agree over about 2-5 years the bolt.Wood might start to get weak but not anytime soon.

Hopefully he will have a enclosed trailer soon and wont have to worry about it
Old Aug 16, 2007, 09:34 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2004
154 Posts
Great Idea... Just one question, Would you not take a little heat the local police force for covering your plates.
just_lkn is offline Find More Posts by just_lkn
Old Aug 16, 2007, 09:36 PM
nooobama
United States, PA, Stroudsburg
Joined May 2004
984 Posts
2x10 on edge very strong, flat not so strong. Just keep an eye on it for splitting.

Did you do a battery isolator?
finishman2000 is offline Find More Posts by finishman2000
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Ok, if you say it will hold then it will. I didn't know you planned this as a temporary solution. The notched out portion of the 2x10 with a 1/2" hole drilled through it makes the whole 2x10 weaker at the most critical and only weight bearing point. I wished I had an enclosed trailer too. To answer your questions, yes I have sat on park benches and walked on wood bridges, however, park benches and walking bridges are a different design with multiple supports. No, I cannot break a 2x10 by hand, but I've seen 2x10 lumber get severely warped just by its own weight.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:10 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lkn
Great Idea... Just one question, Would you not take a little heat the local police force for covering your plates.
Great point! I don't think I can get away with covering my license plate for very long. More sooner than later I would pass a cop having a bad day looking to get revenge on someone.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:56 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,801 Posts
License plate is going to be relocated, but in the Small town he lives in now I don't think it be a problem, one of the local Sherrifs is a Fellow Flyer at the local private feild.. Guess he Will have to ask him if it is okay like it is or not.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 07:08 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Great idea, Charles. I was thinking of using the steel deck I have from Harbor freight for a similar function, but unfortunately I believe my tailgate is too low to clear the batteries (Honda Ridgeline). I'm still lifting the hood I have the parts to run power to the trunk, just been too hot to think about working on anything outside lately!

I was thinking of adding a few gel cells in the trunk, but I fear the charging voltage may be off... need to look at it.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:06 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,696 Posts
Charles,

I googled Energizer Automotive batteries after seeing your setup. All I could find out about them is that they are available in my area at Pep Boys. I have one nearby.

At 125AH that's more than twice what my Optima at 55AH had. One of those bad boys would suit me. Are they deep cycle? Are they gel type like Optimas?

Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:33 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
can't U get a windmill generator erected out there where U fly ?
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle Harper
Great point! I don't think I can get away with covering my license plate for very long. More sooner than later I would pass a cop having a bad day looking to get revenge on someone.
Tag has been moved and I will most likely add some angle iron to the platform. As I only drive 12.5 round trip to my primary RC field and there is very little traffic ,perhaps 3 cars I am not to corcerned at present..

Thanks for all of the concern.

Charles
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:45 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Charles,

I googled Energizer Automotive batteries after seeing your setup. All I could find out about them is that they are available in my area at Pep Boys. I have one nearby.

At 125AH that's more than twice what my Optima at 55AH had. One of those bad boys would suit me. Are they deep cycle? Are they gel type like Optimas?

Thanks,

Paul
Purchased ast Sam's Club for $67.?? each plus a $9 ea. core charge.
125AH 210 min. RC ( 25Amps. for 210 minutes). Date code 07-07.

Flooded cell deep cycle marine / RV.

The 50AH these replaced was a Sprial cell sealed AGM but just was not enough for a days flying , charging multi 4 and 5 cell A123 packs with two charges pulling over 25 amps.

Charles
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:51 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Great idea, Charles. I was thinking of using the steel deck I have from Harbor freight for a similar function, but unfortunately I believe my tailgate is too low to clear the batteries (Honda Ridgeline). I'm still lifting the hood I have the parts to run power to the trunk, just been too hot to think about working on anything outside lately!

I was thinking of adding a few gel cells in the trunk, but I fear the charging voltage may be off... need to look at it.
IMO gell / AGM batteries just do not last as long as flooded cells under heavy useage / high drain and they cost twice as much. The 50Ah AGM I was using cost $135 or almost as much as both of these.AGM and gell / sealed cells need to be charge at C/10-20 and never discharged more than 20% if you want to get atleast 100 cycles.
I wanted to be able to hit these with full alternater output and not worry about them.

I am running a 13A discharge test on them at preset. Converter and heavy duty shop fan ,162 watts.
\
Start no load voltage : 12.81 volt
under 13A load 12.51

1 hour 12.45
2 hours 12.37

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 17, 2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2004
185 Posts
Quote:
Purchased ast Sam's Club for $67.?? each plus a $9 ea. core charge.
125AH 210 min. RC ( 25Amps. for 210 minutes). Date code 07-07.

Charles
I'm a little confused on the AH rating. 210min = 2.5 hours * 25ah = 87.5ah. Is the 125ah at the 20hr rate?
rick0007 is offline Find More Posts by rick0007
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:54 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
can't U get a windmill generator erected out there where U fly ?
Could get 120 AC but I do not wish to pay the monthly mininum bill. Really nice RC Field with more space than I have ever had and a nice large covered area ,approx. 20 to 45 with tables and two big old oak trees for shade.

Charles
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick0007
I'm a little confused on the AH rating. 210min = 2.5 hours * 25ah = 87.5ah. Is the 125ah at the 20hr rate?

Most AH ratings are at the 20 hour rate as in 120Ah equals 6 A rate form 20 hours. The RC rating is 25A load for X minutes and is a better indicator for our useage.
Both to be taken with a grain of salt. They measure the capacity discharged to 10.5 V undrer lload but fact is that discharging below 50% greatly shortens their life.

http://www.solar-electric.com/deep_c...attery_faq.htm

Post her on RCG where I started thinking about this project:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...54&postcount=1

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 17, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:10 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Quote:
Could get 120 AC but I do not wish to pay the monthly mininum bill. Really nice RC Field with more space than I have ever had and a nice large covered area ,approx. 20 to 45 with tables and two big old oak trees for shade.

Charles
not as good as Hamilton Field AFB in Marin county wher I can walk over to the Rod & Gun club to shoot after r/c flying

one summer I got to see the USAF Thunderbirds do a low pass over r/c field at hard stand 8 while was breaking my motor in
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
not as good as Hamilton Field AFB in Marin county wher I can walk over to the Rod & Gun club to shoot after r/c flying

one summer I got to see the USAF Thunderbirds do a low pass over r/c field at hard stand 8 while was breaking my motor in
I can step out on my back deck and shoot all I want to and I have five acreas of woods to enjoy without driving at all. If I want to fly foamies I have a nice 5 acrea site 1/4 mile away and enough LiPolys to fly longer than I care to at on time.

To each his or her own. I enjoy the roual / country life style and moved from Paulding when it got to much like Atlanta which I moved away from allmost 37 years ago.

Charles
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
and hunt pheasant at the same time too ?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:55 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,696 Posts
charles,

Thanks for the info on the "flooded cell deep cycle marine" batteries.

I really do not feel like I got my money's worth with the Optima.

Especially now that I usually have multiple A123 packs and two chargers going at a time as well.

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Aug 17, 2007, 03:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
from my other Pb deep cycle thread.

Quote:
I ran an addation deep cycle test on my $140 Exide 50Ah 100 RC rated spiral cell AGM and it looks like 32Ah to me. I guess for a two year old that is not all that bad however a change is a coming.
these two new ones:

Open volts 12.81
13A load 12.51
60 min. 12.43
120 min. 12.37
180 min. 12.31
240 min. 12.24

approx. 50Ah used

load removed 12.31
10 min. rest 12.41

Started Blazer and connected to charging system:
Initial charge rate at idle 33A.
5 min. 28 A
10 min. 24A
15 min. 22A and 13.04 V
charge stoped .

Time will tell but looks good for now.

50 Ah (162 watts for 4 hours) is a fair amount of charging / flying and the batteries were still at approx. 70 -75 % state of charge.

Charles
Old Aug 17, 2007, 07:27 PM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Months ago before I got side tracked by a move I had decided to move up to .40 size / 48" WS or so electrics. One of the problems is charging higher voltage / Ah packs at the field with no AC available. Basicly I do not trust cheap power plants as they could wipe out an inverter and charger (s) so a many Ah deep cycle(s) seemed like the logical choice. Not wanting messey, flooded cells ,heavy deep cycles in the cargo (planes) area here is my solution.

Charles
you can always run the motor while charging li-po s no?
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Aug 17, 2007, 07:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
you can always run the motor while charging li-po s no?
Well yes but a six cylinder 200 HP engine burns a fair amount of gas even at idle. If I wnated to run the engine then then the battery under the hood would be plenty large enough.
This setup is mostly for 4 nad five cell A123 packs being charged at 8 to 10 amps., two at a time and sometimes a LiPoly or two at the same time. Batteries will see a 35-35 amp. load often but not for that long at a time. A123s are charged in 15-18 minutes.

Charles

Charles
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,801 Posts
Quote:
from my other Pb deep cycle thread.

these two new ones:

Open volts 12.81
13A load 12.51
60 min. 12.43
120 min. 12.37
180 min. 12.31
240 min. 12.24

approx. 50Ah used

load removed 12.31
10 min. rest 12.41

Started Blazer and connected to charging system:
Initial charge rate at idle 33A.
5 min. 28 A
10 min. 24A
15 min. 22A and 13.04 V
charge stoped .

Time will tell but looks good for now.

50 Ah (162 watts for 4 hours) is a fair amount of charging / flying and the batteries were still at approx. 70 -75 % state of charge.

Charles
WOW, thats great, I wonder how just one of those would work, Thats what I need at the feild, my poor Truck battery gets pulled down( not the truck I drive for those who don't know my spare battery out a truck I never drive) . Takes overnight to charge it back up at 2 amps. Normally down to 11.4 or something.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:34 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
WOW, thats great, I wonder how just one of those would work,
Well logic says that one could deliver atleast 25Ah and still be at aprox. 70% state of charge if used to charge 3 cell LiPolys two or three at a time at say up to 5 amps. total. Those with say 1320 11.1 volt LiPolys that would be three at a time at 1C (3X 1.3 =4A) or 3 packs being charged at 1C for 6 hours for a total of 18 charges with fully depleted (overdischarged)packs.

Charles
Old Aug 17, 2007, 09:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
If you're interested in longevity of the battery and getting your money's worth then consider a golf cart battery like the T-105. This is the best compromise of price, weight, capacity, and deep cycle life. For RC use if you take care of the battery, it would probably last more than 5 years.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Looked at golf cart batteries but they were / are to high (height) and would be in the way of the tailgate(?) or would have to be mounted to closer to ground and perhaps be a ground clearance problem.

If I can kill these in one year they have a 12 month free replacement and then a 3 year prorated one. Seriously at less than $150 for the pair if they only last a year it is no biggie with me.

5 cell A123 cost me $60 divided by 200 flights minimum equal $0.30 flight. The test I ran on these two Enerizers would equal charging a single pack 16 times so 200 cycles would equal approx. 3200 flights or about $0.05 per charge for the deep cycles. I can live with $0.35 per flight.
Glow fuel for a 6 minte flight in similar size performance model cost $1.00 per flight then there are glow plugs and cleaning supplies.

Charles
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:26 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,760 Posts
Quote:
... I wanted to be able to hit these with full alternater output and not worry about them.

I am running a 13A discharge test on them at preset. Converter and heavy duty shop fan ,162 watts.

Charles
Just a heads up. An alternator is made to support your accessories and replenish your battery after a start. Many will not tolerate very low 2 batteries when you start up, drive with AC on down the highway at 55+ mph and if the lights are on it is even harder on your alternator. Maybe things changed with newer vehicles' alternators, I have been out of that industry too long. If you don't need to charge them on your drive home I advise you to disable your dual charging circuit for the drive.

Rick
www.CommonSenseRC.com
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Aug 18, 2007, 05:04 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
and of course the heavy load on the alternator driving back home will also kill your mileage.. may be a good idea to fix a remote temperature sensor on the car's alternator and see how hot it gets. Now if it is a leased car

A standard 12v group 24 deep cycle marine will fit in the battery tray of my pu truck, so I had one of those for a while, figured it would re-charge on the drive back.. but it lowered my mileage substantially and it really abused the battery fast charging it.

Now I have two of the sam's batteries in the back of the truck, hooked up in parallel, and I just recharge them at home.. of course the extra 120lbs of weight probably dont help your mileage either. Bought one of those 1200watt gas generators at Pep Boys for use in contests and during power out emergencies.. not bad for $99 and the generator is ligther than even one battery.

This is the price of charging 10s and 8s A123 packs in 13 minutes

The generator is also great fun to harass glow flyers.. just fire it up the moment they take off same thing they have been doing to me for years.
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Aug 18, 2007, 06:48 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Thanks for the concern / heads up guys. I am well aware of which you speak of but most likely you missed the post about why there is 4 gague wiring from the hood to the rear of cargo area , where the amp. box is.
My Blazer Extreme has had a true 500 watts RMS mono ( Bass) amp. for over 6 years. Guess what, when it is thumping the alternator is having to deliver major amps. just to keep the lights from going out and yes the lights do dim and no caps. do not really help..

Result of yesterdas initial test.

At idle with 25 Amps. going to two deep cycles ,running lights on and sound system at low level 55 Amps. being delivered from alternater.Increasing engine to 2K RPMs did not increase amps. by more than 5. Alternator is rated at 100 Amps. and like the batteries if it craps out I can afford another one.

I do have a very nice / expensive smart charger in my garage / shop / hanger which will be used to charge 99.9 % of thge time. Alternator will only be needed / used if gone for the week end or if this setup is used for emergy household power. .I also have a 7000 watt power plant and am looking into a 2000 watt one and a really big one also.

IMO 32 Amps. going into two 125Ah batteries (16 A. ea.) is not a fast charge and will not damage them. This is yet another reason for my vattery(s) choice. The 50Ah AGM threse replaced could not be charged at over 12A and even that was pushing it. You can purchase high charge rate compatible AGMs if you do not mind paying $300 for approx. 150 Ah capacity.

My smart charger 30A max. has been charging this set for one hour. They were at 85% at start of charge and have been being charged at 30A up tp 13.3V then back down to 10-12A for a few minutes then back up tp 30 -32 and are still at 85%.

As soon as the fog burns off I am headed to the field.

FYI : These are Energizer E29HM batteries / Johnson Controls and Battery Group.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 18, 2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:55 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
it may be at the upper end of safe.. is the electrolite bubbling vigorously at this charge rate?

32amps into ONE battery I would definitely worry about.

Quote:
IMO 32 Amps. going into two 125Ah batteries (16 A. ea.) is not a fast charge and will not damage them. Charles
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Aug 20, 2007, 08:51 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermperez
it may be at the upper end of safe.. is the electrolite bubbling vigorously at this charge rate?

32amps into ONE battery I would definitely worry about.
Are the folks who respond to post able to read the English Language.
He said it was a total of 32 amps witch is 16 amps to EACH battery. Not 32 Into just one.
Everyone should take into consideration of who everydayflyer is even if he has been MIA for the past few months,go read some of his graphs, maybe they don't know how to read numbers either, He knows what he is doing, he has only done this type of things for the past 45 years +
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:06 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
I know many hate to use links but there is a wealth of info available at a link I provided earlier.

http://www.solar-electric.com/deep_c...attery_faq.htm

A snip:

Quote:
Battery Charging Voltages and Currents:
Most flooded batteries should be charged at no more than the "C/8" rate for any sustained period. "C/8" is the battery capacity at the 20-hour rate divided by 8. For a 220 AH battery, this would equal 26 Amps. Gelled cells should be charged at no more than the C/20 rate, or 5% of their amp-hour capacity. The Concorde AGM batteries are a special case - the can be charged at up the the Cx2 rate, or 200% of the capacity for the bulk charge cycle. However, since very few battery cables can take that much current, we don't recommend you try this at home. To avoid cable overheating, you should stick to C/4 or less.

Charging at 15.5 volts will give you a 100% charge on Lead-Acid batteries. Once the charging voltage reaches 2.583 volts per cell, charging should stop or be reduced to a trickle charge. Note that flooded batteries MUST bubble (gas) somewhat occasionally to insure a full charge, and to mix the electrolyte. Float voltage for Lead-Acid batteries should be about 2.15 to 2.23 volts per cell, or about 12.9-13.4 volts for a 12 volt battery. At higher temperatures (over 85 degrees F) this should be reduced to about 2.10 volts per cell.
C/8 for these two 125Ah in parallel is 250/8= 31.25A.

They will be charged most of the time on a very good smart charge which has three battery type charging options, Regular starting batteries, deep cycle and AGM. Charge rates of 2A or 10-30A. The 10-30 rate changes rate according to the batters state of charge. I also use a $50 Battery Minder ( smart trickle / maintainer ) charger.

As I said before I do not expect these batteries or my alternator to last forever. I use to purchase glow fuel at least 4 gallons at a time and often by the 55 gallon drum(s). Initial cost for electrons is greater than glow but less expensive in the long run,IMO.
Alternator has stood up well for 15000 miles with a sound system loading it worse than these batteries ever will and remember the charging harness is fused at 30A.
Field testing:
Flew and charged 2 ea. 5 cell A123 twice yesterday.
2.0AH
1.9AH
2.3AH
2.3AH
Today

5 cell A123
2.2AH

4 cell A123
1.7AH
2.2AH

One 3 cell LiPoly paralleled TP PL 1320s
1.6AH (LVC set at 8 V. so I was very cautious).

Max load seen charging two 5 cells at 7.5 and 8 Amps. 25Amps.
Lowest volts under load 12.01

20 minutes after last charge this morning 12.81.

Once again I do appreciate everyones concerns but I do have more than a little experience with batteries / charging systems. I even ran two deep cycle marine batteries in a fishing boat running a bow mounted trolling motor for hours on end during many a weekend for a number of years with no battery issues.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 20, 2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:40 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
DNP DPR-100 graph of dual 12 Pb trip to field and back

OK ,here is a log graph of the dualies to and from the field. Trip home after 5 charges spaning approx. 1:45 which included just over 30 min. of air time.

Looks to me that the Blazer's alternator and these batteries are under no stress at all.

Next project is to add a set of leads with buss bars on end so I can place logger between duelies and chargers so I can log current used by chargers at field.

Lowest voltage under load was 11.84 with a 12 A load durning last charge of morning.

I may just add a relay and let the alternator do all the charging.

FYI - all charges with TP 1010C set at 10Amps.

4 cell
1,729 12:03
2,053 14:33

5 cell

2,345 16:13
1,820 12:24
2,043 13:44

Got to love those A123s.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 22, 2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:54 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
FWIW,
A thought on stabilizing the board.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:18 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Five A123 field charges loged on BNB DPR-100

Flew five flights this morning and logged all five charges. Attached graph has most data on it.
All chargers on TP-1010C set at 10A.

Durning the last charge TP 1010C dispalyed 11.11 source voltage however there were two sets of APP / Sermos and one set of deans Ultras in line ( Logger adapters. AF 109 connected to battery terminals displayed 12.38 and amp. meter indicated 18A load.

Why I do not use APP very much. At end of CC stage of last charge.

Air Temp. 82F ,Deans Ultras 94F , APP 132F to say nothing of the voltage drop..

Summary of Logger data (Legend):

Total time from stsrt of charge one and last charge 1:22:08
Max. amps. 18.63 / Avg. 13.63
Min. volts 11.89

18646 mAh

Connected harness to Blazer and drove for 15 min. to fuel same. Start current 27A and after 30 sec. 22A , after 15 min. 12A.

248 miles last tank on Blazer , most trips to a from field and the last 5(63 miles) charging Duelies to and from the field. Gas mileage 16.1 MPG.

Nice to arrive home with flight packs and field power source charged and ready to go.

Resting voltage of Pb s 5 min. after arriving home 12.64 .
resting voltageafter 3 hours ( recomemded time) 12.91

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 24, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:22 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,424 Posts
As always, thanks for the great data Charles!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:10 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
As always, thanks for the great data Charles!
Thanks and you are most welcome.
Looks like more 40 size electric are in my future. Sure is nice to not be grounded by a little wind and these have always been my favorits.

Less than two weeks since I converted the Fazer and I have loged 35 flights on it or about 30 more than durning the past three years.

Charles
Old Aug 24, 2007, 03:28 PM
Jim H
Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
553 Posts
This is what i use "When a 12volt 50Ah is just not enough."

Two TROLL FURY battery sets = 220ah
480 Reserve Minutes

Jim
Fool is online now Find More Posts by Fool
Old Aug 24, 2007, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool
This is what i use "When a 12volt 50Ah is just not enough."

Two TROLL FURY battery sets = 220ah
480 Reserve Minutes

Jim
I am guessing the batterys are under that thing with the invertor on top?
That looks good, and heavy. I guess thats inside of a trailer. never seen a battery like that before
Old Aug 24, 2007, 03:46 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamiesrfun
I am guessing the batterys are under that thing with the invertor on top?
That looks good, and heavy. I guess thats inside of a trailer. never seen a battery like that before
It looks to be 4 blue top optimas paralleled together. Roughly $800 in batteries.

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad