HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Another Dumb Canadian
Joined Feb 2012
197 Posts
It will be brushless Phil - We have to stay with the times........ . This is just a personal project for me
Punisher_67 is offline Find More Posts by Punisher_67
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:41 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,440 Posts
Thanks for letting Mr. Kroker know about our little thread, Phil.

Hello Mr. Kroker! We dearly love your motors you made.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:49 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Thanks for letting Mr. Kroker know about our little thread, Phil.

Hello Mr. Kroker! We dearly love your motors you made.
Yes Ray, if you are able to, at least, browse through the thread every so often, I think it will bring back fond memories of the '70s for you too. It has been the trigger for me to scan through 1000s of photos and a hundred hours of correspondence. I found the album of shots taken in Alberqueque when we met for the first and only time.

To all - today has been a doubly good day for news and history of Kroker products. Earlier, I said that it didn't seem likely that the other two Seahorses would turn up. Well, Mark Rigby of NSW Australia rang me today and actually owns SH EX 1 being the 4th owner starting with Rod Burman. He believed SH EX 2 was in the hands of Dave Harvey in England and confirmed that I was chasing the right person for news on SR EX - 1

The final bit of correction/news is that Mark says the SeaRam label is actually 1.25 " high not 1" and he has two SRs to prove it. Peter, this would give you a little more room to play!

More to follow soon,

Phil
philmaur is offline Find More Posts by philmaur
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:38 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,101 Posts
Very cool!
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
Another Dumb Canadian
Joined Feb 2012
197 Posts
This is really great - this thread has gone from a coool thread to one that is out of this world . I have been a fan of Rays motors since I first seen one in 1975 and its been a 37 year love affair since then . The Kroker motors I believe brought in the pinnacle point in FE history - where electric motor performances finally started to resemble nitro performance -The Big Bang of Fast Electrics - .

Phil that is great that you have located the other two SH motors and a few other SR's . I will take in the art work within the next few days and have your decal replicated along with my SR's hopefully I will one day find one for sale . The hight is not as important as the length but will try to keep these as absolutely close to authentic as possible .

Mr Ray Kroker I want to also welcome you to this thread - I my opinion you are the father of fast electrics - Welcome sir .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
I knew you could do it Peter! I fully expect to see a 100% CNC Kroker in the future.
Thank you Tom for the kind words
Last edited by Punisher_67; Jun 21, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
I'm hoping to see some Kroker BL motors, soon.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
I'm hoping to see some Kroker BL motors, soon.
or, perhaps a solar powered Ferrari with bicycle wheels?

Phil
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:41 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Hi Phil,
Not to far from your statement . Ferrari is building a hybrid electric car prototype. It will be capable of outperforming the equivalent internal combustion only Ferrari.
You know that bellypan for the Lithium batteries will have to be Bullet-Proof and fully sealed.

Ferrari 599 200mph Electric Hybrid Supercar (1 min 26 sec)
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Last edited by sunworksco; Jun 20, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,101 Posts
A couple more SeaRams, as seen on eBay many moons ago.
Last edited by woodybob; Jun 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Another Dumb Canadian
Joined Feb 2012
197 Posts
Phil - I took the graphics over to the vinyl guru's last week but they have taken up to a month getting to my stuff just cause they get so backed up with the large jobs - As soon as I get them I will post a picture . In the mean time P/M me your mailing addy .
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:29 PM
Another Dumb Canadian
Joined Feb 2012
197 Posts
Phil your plates and mine - when my Sea Ram is found - LOL .

Yours will be mailed out tomorrow but I might redo them with tighter letter spacing to make the type a little larger and more pronounced , I had to do that on the sea wasps and had great results .

Anyways here they are
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:44 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,101 Posts
Those look great!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
334 Posts
New SeaHorse and SeaRam plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_67 View Post
Phil your plates and mine - when my Sea Ram is found - LOL .

Yours will be mailed out tomorrow but I might redo them with tighter letter spacing to make the type a little larger and more pronounced , I had to do that on the sea wasps and had great results .

Anyways here they are
Thanks a million, Peter - they really do look good compared with the existing nameplate as seen from a few extra photos of SeaHorse Ex 3. I think I shall keep the original plates with the motor itself and in a see-through polythene bag, just as proof of authenticity.

From your comment about when your SR Ex 1 is found, do I take it that you want to put in an offer to the owner? I wonder how much it is worth - the first SeaRam ever to compete in the World!! BUT, the condition of the motor is an unknown and it might need a service and new brushes. I have sent a further Email to the owner to have a good search (unless he remembers who else might have it), and will continue to pursue the cause.

Am writing a bit on the SW12 used for 100 watt and Naviga steering events and the effects the Kroker motors had on competition in the early '70s. Hopefully, this will be posted in a few days time - I already have some suitable photos. Also I thought a few comments/comparisons on 'then and now' might be of interest

Phil
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:30 AM
Another Dumb Canadian
Joined Feb 2012
197 Posts
Thanks Woody

Not a problem Phil it was a pleasure .

Actually Phil I am on the lookout for the Mark ll series SeaRam I just put that serial number down for shits and giggles I have never owned a SeaRam but to this day dream of finding one for sale in good condition . I won't know serial # until I find a motor for sale . Somewhere in the near future when I have more time I will redo the SeaHorse and SeaRam art work so the lettering is slightly more bold and a touch larger within the same size label and also send that off to you . My first attempt with my SeaWasps I got a good label but in reducing everything the lettering was a little on the thin side , so I brought everything in a lot tighter and the result was a label that looked a lot better with more bold and pronounced lettering .

Your motor can easily be restored by having the Aluminum endbells re-sandblasted lightly and having the center section re-blued . I will eventually do that to mine and I may even have the aluminum sections anodized silver . the motor will actually look better than when it was new .

It is really cool to see the SeaHorse in all its glory . Probably the rarest production motor in history .

Your input is awesome Phil - We all here appreciate the historical data it is very interesting to read
Last edited by Punisher_67; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_67 View Post
Thanks Woody

. . .
Your input is awesome Phil - We all here appreciate the historical data it is very interesting to read
'Awesome' is overdoing it a bit but it is fun from my point of view

Let’s continue with a bit more history relating to SeaWasps and a few more photos. I should start by mentioning that all references to Naviga 30 watt or 100 watt competitions use the product of voltage and current measured with the model at full throttle, held stationary at the water’s edge. This figure of input watts to the motor was required to be less than the figure of 30 or 100. Rod Burman who was even more involved with fast electrics than I, made an impressive volt/amp/watt meter especially for measurement in competitions

At the time when the SW6 and SW12 were introduced into the market in about 1969, there was a very limited choice of model motors and nothing which could come close to the Kroker product for ‘quality’, efficiency and power. In the 100 watt range, the Pitman motors did offer a choice of well made motors, but would not run efficiently at higher powers.
The Marx company (or was it Marx – Luder?), produced a series of economically priced, good motors which were ahead of most other brands. Their Monoperm Super motor was good for the 30 watt Naviga speed competition and, believe it or not, out-performed the Kroker Sea Mite – a prototype motor based on a design for either the military, or industry. The Sea Mite was tested by Rod Burman and others in England, but did not go into production, needing a re-design to achieve a superior performance level, according to Ray Kroker

The Mark Decaperm Super motor was also used with much success for steering competitions, handling perhaps 100 watts for short periods. Exceeding the power limits resulted in a ring of solder being deposited on the inside of the case as the windings were soft-soldered to the commutator bars. This was followed by either a manual re-solder repair or a replacement motor!

There was a sense of relief when the SW 6 and 12 arrived with solderless winding connections. The over-driven Decaperm motor achieved, perhaps 50% efficiency compared with 65 to 80 % for the Kroker alternative, dependant on the motor loading. They would also take up to double the input power compared with the Decaperm, so it is hardly surprising that they quickly became ‘the motor to have’ for this type of use.

The actual steering course used by the Naviga body was a complex mixture of differently spaced buoys, tackled at as high a speed as possible without missing a turn or touching the buoy. A sketch of the 30 meter triangular course is included to give you some idea, but the event is not dissimilar to show jumping where first the horse has to clear all the ‘gates’ and then the time is taken into account.

The narrow spacing between some of the ‘gates’ required the use of a fairly small model of approximately 20” length, very precise and fast cornering, and capable of speed bursts of, at least 18 kph. After 2 or 3 attempts a suitable model was designed to meet these requirements. This was the Marksman, published in plan form by MAP in England. Once the SW12 replaced the Decaperm, this turned into a very competitive model

* * Story to be continued shortly with details of the controllers used in those days. *

Phil
Last edited by philmaur; Jul 23, 2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Clarification of use for Input Watts