HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:13 AM
Joined Jul 2007
9 Posts
Discussion
Turbo Vee 3 vs Hammer EP Your Thoughts?

Hi All,

I am a complete beginner and new to RC. I have been doing some research for an entry level boat, that has the potential to grow a little if I wind up getting hooked. I had bought a used Reef Racer 2 off ebay and it acted very quirky so I am returning it for a refund. I have been researching the boats in the $100 + range. I have narrowed it down to the Aquacraft Hammer EP RTR and the Tower Hobbies Turbo Vee 3 RTR. I like these two boats, because like they are RTR and I like the idea of water cooling already in place from the Mfg. The boat will be used on a small lake and local river, both of which are relatively calm on most days but like any body of water can have boat or wind induced wakes.

I have found a good deal of discussion and review material for the Hammer, but not a lot for the Turbo Vee 3. Is the Hammer that much better of a boat (they seem very close on paper) or is it just the more popular of the two? I grew up rooting for the underdogs and was thinking of giving the Turbo Vee 3 a chance, but in the end I want to buy the best boat for the money and my enjoyment.

I appreciate any input or experience you can share
staper is offline Find More Posts by staper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:28 PM
Alabama
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
Better get the Hammer!JMOO
hubhunts is offline Find More Posts by hubhunts
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:32 AM
king of scratch builts
cottonwood
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
get the tv 3

the tv3 and the hammer are the same. i have a tv3 and it goes really fast you can paint it if you dont like the stock color get the turbo vee 3 it is a better buy. the tv3 is cheaper so more money for a good battery pack
if you want to have lots of fun go brushless for 140$ ask if you want details on parts and instructions.
foamyflier is offline Find More Posts by foamyflier
Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2007
50 Posts
umm i think the hammer is better because i have a hammer and a tv3 and ive had to order more parts for the tv3 than the hammer! but thats just my boats so im not sure. Oh and aquacraft makes good parts and the hammer motor is a great great motor! I have 3 boats with those motors and those speed controls also
feddog is offline Find More Posts by feddog
Old Aug 27, 2007, 03:09 PM
Joined Jul 2007
9 Posts
Well I wound up with the Hammer. I got a good deal on a lightly used Hammer EP with Dean's plugs already installed. I'm still considering a Turbo Vee 3 for a second boat so my daughter and I can compete
staper is offline Find More Posts by staper
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:48 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
This is my turbo vee with a cheapo 22 turn motor swapon 6 cells. You can tellwhen I hit full throttle cause it pops up a bit in speed.

Great boat, handles like a charm, durable as all heck.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...ideo4-2005.flv
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
king of scratch builts
cottonwood
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
theese are the same boats with the same parts in both.
foamyflier is offline Find More Posts by foamyflier
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:09 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
The hulls are different. So no, they are not the same.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
TV is a smaller hull and a cheaper TX , all electronics/motors are the same. I've had many hammers and m going to use the TV2 or 3 fom now on cuz it is smaller and I like using stock stuff so it should be faster on same voltage.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio