HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2002, 09:56 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Yard Dart Part Deux

The first version of the yard dart finally bit the dust this weekend, at least the fuse did. Donnie made me a new fuse to test out. I't made out of fiberglass and he strengthened the new one in all the right places. Here is a shot of it on the origional wing. The plane flies great, has wicked rolls and is very fast with the 450 motor. This fuse is lighter because I've got to move the battery pack forward.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2002, 09:58 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
He's maintained the curve of the front of the fuse and managed to narrow it by one inch while still leaving room for the battery pack.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:02 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I rolled the battery loose in version one and the pack shifted back causing the CG to go way back. The wreck was quite interesting. I apologise for not having photos of the damage. This is a shot of the bottom. One of our fine members gave me the idea to improve the grip too throw area!!
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:05 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
One more hole and you could grip it like a bowlingball. I put my thumb in one hole and "finger" finger in the other for a nice launch.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 05:31 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Don, looks good! Hopefully the batt pack will be secure and not moving around on you in flight. I put velcro on my batt packs
to keep them in place. The bottle cap method works great too.
There are a few of our zagi flyers that use this launching technique. I really like model so much that I plan on making a version of my own. Probably with a more blunt type nose though.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Nov 19, 2002, 05:40 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Nice looking plane, Don! I have to ask though.... those aileron pushrods seem to violate a lot of angle rules I've learned/ put to use. How much throw can you get? Obviously enough, but I'm curious.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Nov 19, 2002, 05:42 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Thanks Dave, I had the pack secured with velcro and it still pulled loose. This time I plan to add a velcro strap in addition or a rubberband tie down for some added security. The wing and tail fins have been very durable, this plane has encountered the rules of gravity several times!
Old Nov 19, 2002, 05:47 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
Nice looking plane, Don! I have to ask though.... those aileron pushrods seem to violate a lot of angle rules I've learned/ put to use. How much throw can you get? Obviously enough, but I'm curious.

Martin
Martin,
I'll measure them and post the info for you. There is more than enough throw, it's simply vvvery thin wire and works well.
Don
Old Nov 19, 2002, 07:35 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Quote:
those aileron pushrods seem to violate a lot of angle rules I've learned
I was thinking the same thing. Would probably be fine with ball links at the horn though.
(I know it works for you as is Don. Just not great physics. )
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Nov 19, 2002, 08:06 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Up is 17mm and down is 12mm I'll grap a photo for you all this evening. No ball joints because the wire moves freely. Donnie asked me about this when I built it and my standard reply is "It's a Beta kit as long as it works and flies I'll KISS it!"
Don
Old Nov 19, 2002, 01:03 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Well, that's cool, Don. I would have expected a lot of side-to-side force and hardly any push/pull force.

That does look like a zippy little plane. Got any inflight shots of the previous version? I may have missed a thread or two.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Nov 19, 2002, 01:17 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Martin,
There are two security ties holding it to the balsa leading back to the elevator and it's epoxied it to the front of the elevator for a bit more support. We have a video of one of the early flights but no photos that I know of. Tim from Memphis may have a shot of me crashing it one time??? maybe?? Or that may have been another video.
Don
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts
VERTICAL PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
Well, that's cool, Don. I would have expected a lot of side-to-side force and hardly any push/pull force.

That does look like a zippy little plane. Got any inflight shots of the previous version? I may have missed a thread or two.

Martin
DLYONS is offline Find More Posts by DLYONS
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:34 PM
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts
Fly By

Quote:
Originally posted by DLYONS
DLYONS is offline Find More Posts by DLYONS
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:39 PM
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts