Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hooked on Heli's
Pendleton, Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2007
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregt@post.pl
Hi all, may I jump in with a question here?

[ OK, It's fixed, not sure what happened, reassembled and dissassembled few times and it seems to be good now... - but for benefit of others if somone had a simmilar experience and would like to share, please do... ]

I assume many of you have done the alu upgrades, I have just tried to install the aluminum swash and the lower hub, and I am having a huge problem trimming - this lama was trimmed just fine on the original swash and hub.
I will reinstall the original and check the distances of swash from the bearing over the frame. I made sure the top part of the bottom hub is screwed in to two holes in the outer (main) shaft - I figured this is exactly how high I need to go.
The swash seems to tilt way to far back and right.
Anyone else seen this? Suggestions?

Thx.

GregT
I had the same problem when I installed my alum swash, it was no where near level. I replaced the outer shaft and gear at the same time cause the gear was bad. It turns out the outer shaft I got was for a V3 and the lower hub holes are in a difference location, so I had to do major adjusting of the servo control rods to level the swash again. It flys great again now.

My next step is to put on longer servo arms, I fly out side alot. I'm really happy with my V4 setup the way I have it now.

Rick
Pics of my V4: http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/7600/lamav4.html
RickT4 is offline Find More Posts by RickT4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:02 AM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
447 Posts
Thx RickT4! In my case it must have been something I did as the outer shaft was stock. Got it eventually though, will try it outside today with onboard cam If weather and baby cooperate!
Now, I see many of you change the tail and the landing skids... how do you attach them? Do they work with the current frame or did you have to make more mods to make it fit? Does it change the size of the battery compartment too, so it's easier to mount a larger one?
gregt@post.pl is offline Find More Posts by gregt@post.pl
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:51 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregt@post.pl
.......................Now, I see many of you change the tail and the landing skids... how do you attach them? Do they work with the current frame or did you have to make more mods to make it fit? Does it change the size of the battery compartment too, so it's easier to mount a larger one?
There aren't many booms specifically for the V4. The advertiser at the top of the page did one, but he seems to be having - erm.........difficulty in supplying, at the moment.

Mine is from Boomtown, for a CX2, but needs a bracket fabricating for the V4.

This guy;

http://stores.ebay.com/Vigilante-R-C

...............has some nice looking ones which apparently fit straight on. Haven't seen one, though.

Skids - you won't get better than these;

http://shop.boomtownhobbies.com/prod...=5&productId=9

Battery compartment on mine is chopped right down and battery is held in place with wonderful Velcro. Pic below might give you the idea.
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:11 PM
Joined Feb 2002
295 Posts
i made my tail boom from a piece of 1/4 inch cf tube & a block of lite ply attached to the plastic arm at the rear of the fuse. it took a couple of hours, the material was left over from my r/c planes.
DEWorley is offline Find More Posts by DEWorley
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:24 PM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
447 Posts
Thx! I will look into these links and see what I can do. Just got longer servo arms and will see if the lama can handle some wind - tried standard with extreme parts today and it was pretty much useless.... so time for more mods

GT
Old Jan 26, 2008, 04:40 PM
Joined Mar 2006
6 Posts
Metal Head Upgrade Set

Has anyone tried out the

CNC Helicopter Metal Head Upgrade Set for E_Sky Lama V3 V4 from dealextreme?

It's pretty inexpensive and I was just wondering about the quality.

Later,
Jon
jmarcure is offline Find More Posts by jmarcure
Old Jan 26, 2008, 05:19 PM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
447 Posts
Wow! That is cheap! I just bought one for $49 from rc-fever I think.... Looks the same as far as I can tell.... I would be interested to hear if anyone got that and if it worked well.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcure
Has anyone tried out the

CNC Helicopter Metal Head Upgrade Set for E_Sky Lama V3 V4 from dealextreme?

It's pretty inexpensive and I was just wondering about the quality.

Later,
Jon

There was a discussion of those parts a few pages back. Basically someone asked the same question you did but no one responded saying they had bought them and how they were.
rotorwing54 is offline Find More Posts by rotorwing54
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:42 PM
Joined Jan 2008
194 Posts
Ok, I received my ebay alloy parts and installed them. Where to begin. The thing was flying perfect before i put the parts but I can't seem to get it to hover. From reading thru some of the posts, this doesn't sound uncommon. I'm including some pictures so that maybe someone can see something I might be missing. I had to play with the rode length alot to get the swash plate level. When level it wanted to fly backwards so it's in the location you see now. The heli doesn't want to just move from left to right, it seems to want to rotate on it's side.

On a side note, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that these aluminum parts are all made by the same company, regardless on who's name is on them. I can't see there being that much money in esky lama heli upgrades that 2 or 3 companies are making these things. So i think that the parts you get off ebay, dealextreme, or your favorite hobby shop, are all the same.
zore is offline Find More Posts by zore
Last edited by zore; Jan 26, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
194 Posts
It's amazing. I looked at those pictures as I posted them and said, let me try something. I took the rod off that connects the fly bar to the upper blade assembly and noticed it wasn't as lose as it was with the stock parts. After snapping the blade connection portion of it on and off a few times, it got a little better. I think desided to auger it out just a touch with a pair of needle nose plyers. Used the end and just turned it a few times on each side. It now snapps on nice and easy, and the test flight confirmed that to be the problem.

One other note on these aluminum bits. Id use a touch of nail polish on the screw threads or some light lock tight. They seem to come lose from time to time.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 03:56 AM
Fakenham, Norfolk, UK
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Zore, do the aluminum parts add much weight to the v4?

Thanks
Damien
rash is offline Find More Posts by rash
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:12 AM
Forest Grove, OR
Joined Nov 2007
185 Posts
Well I broke my extreme blades today. Didn't think that was possible! But, they finally bit the dust. Good thing I bought 2 pair....
Oogilily is offline Find More Posts by Oogilily
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:30 AM
Joined Jan 2008
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rash
Zore, do the aluminum parts add much weight to the v4?

Thanks
Damien
I did not weight the parts so I'm not sure.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:56 PM
hmm, I could modify that
flyover country
Joined Dec 2007
184 Posts
Tx mod Throttle mod

This has been discussed before, however I feel some pictures and explantion are needed in this thread.

I used to fly RC airplanes and enjoyed the racheting throttle,(one less control to worry about while you are trying to solo). I always wondered why someone would remove the rachet feature till after a couple flights on the V4, I was having trouble keeping a steady altitude. One click was too much, one click less was too little. So I reduced the feel of the clicks on my Tx, now it's much easier to keep altitude. It's simple, only tools needed are a phillips screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers.
  1. First, REMOVE the batteries.
  2. Now place the Tx face down on a soft surface, and locate and remove the 4 screws shown in pic 1.
  3. LEAVE THE Tx FACE DOWN. Now remove the back. Most of the components are attached to the front half of the case. see pic 2.
  4. Be careful of the circut board shown in the blue circle pic. 3. It is just resting there. Locate the metal wiper shown in the red square. You need to bend it away from the toothed wheel it is resting on. You can bend it inplace, or remove the screw and bend it in your hand. Or you can remove it completly. Only a slight bend is needed.
scratchwerk is offline Find More Posts by scratchwerk
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zore
On a side note, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that these aluminum parts are all made by the same company, regardless on who's name is on them. I can't see there being that much money in esky lama heli upgrades that 2 or 3 companies are making these things. So i think that the parts you get off ebay, dealextreme, or your favorite hobby shop, are all the same.
I've looked at several of those CNC part sets and have noticed that there seems to be a difference in the design of the blade grips. Some sets have blade grips that are round and wide but others have blade grips that are smaller in diameter.

Also, where the two pushrods attach from the swash to the lower set of blades, there is a guide that they pass through. These guides are designed differently depending on the set of CNC parts.

However, they still could be made at same factory. Sure does look nice Zore.
rotorwing54 is offline Find More Posts by rotorwing54