SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Mar 2009
482 Posts
After letting my v-4 sit on the shelf for almost 2 years, it's time to get her flying again. Everything is still working fine but my inner-shaft gear is toast. Will CX-2 gears be compatible with this heli? I thought I had read this in the past so can someone confirm this for me? My L.H.S. has the gears and they are close to me and would like to avoid ordering if poss. Thanks, Bill
tippytoe is offline Find More Posts by tippytoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:09 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,174 Posts
Yup, both "A" and "B" gears are the same.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:39 PM
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Mar 2009
482 Posts
Thank you very much sir! Bill
tippytoe is offline Find More Posts by tippytoe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Yup, both "A" and "B" gears are the same.

Mike.
I did not know that, thanks for sharing
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Great looking heli and nice flying. Do you have links for what you bought?
Thanks bud :-) I had a long month and I missed this post, sorry! I'll make a list later this evening, thank you!
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:02 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Not only do the CX2 gears work, but they're cheaper and available from the hobby shop right down the street ( or 45 minutes away!). There is also the stuff Xtreme makes that are better plastic.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:52 AM
Paintball Heli Pilot
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2009
78 Posts
it's been a long time since I last played with RC, and I was flying an Esky LamaV4.... what happened to Esky?? Did they disappear?

i sold my entire kit to a friend, who is a far better heli pilot than me

now building my foam glider, RC conversion!
ninja_iga is offline Find More Posts by ninja_iga
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:25 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_iga View Post
it's been a long time since I last played with RC, and I was flying an Esky LamaV4.... what happened to Esky?? Did they disappear?

i sold my entire kit to a friend, who is a far better heli pilot than me

now building my foam glider, RC conversion!
I hate to say it, but Esky is the RC version of Kodak. They haven't kept up with what's going on around them.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:51 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I hate to say it, but Esky is the RC version of Kodak. They haven't kept up with what's going on around them.
f you go to their main web site at http://en.esky-sz.cn/news_index.html
you will see that Esky is still going strong, but not making some of the older helicopters. Go to this site and click on "news".... Since 2010 people have been ripping off copies of the Esky helicopters. Give it a look, they are still there but suffering from what looks to be a slow down in production so Esky can laser engrave their trademark and name on their products.

(just came back check out the below!)

YEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWW! I was sitting here typing in the first part of this post, when a Cessna 380 came over my house almost sideways and about 100 ft high. I heard it coming (our airport is only a mile east of me) with a bunch of popping and backfiring. Just as it went over my house the engine quit!
He wasn't high enough to glide to the airport, so I got in my car and took off because I knew he wasn't going to make it. I dialed 911 on the fly and was trying to keep my eye on the airplane. The pilot was doing a great job but, the closer I got the more evident it was that there were obstacles in his way. He had to be high enough to pass over a large 80 ft tall power supply line and some trees. Then it dawned on me that he was trying to put it down in a pasture just on the other side of the power lines. He didn't make it. He hit the power lines with his landing gear, which flipped the plane straight down. When I finally got there.... there were no flames. Nothing burned. He had NO fuel in his tanks! The pilot was the only one on board and he was killed instantly.The biggest part of the plane was the spinner.

But, I saw it with my own eyes... it was total pilot error. Anyone who would take off on low fuel and then not keep an eye on his gauges is insane! I drive a Porsche 911. When I'm in that car my eyes never stop scanning my gauges ... especially oil pressure, oil temp .... and GASOLINE! I just can't believe he sacrificed his life for a few gallons of fuel. .
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:23 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,666 Posts
Boy you are getting your share of excitement over there. Too bad the pilot was killed. Why would anyone fly with low fuel, crazy.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:12 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Boy you are getting your share of excitement over there. Too bad the pilot was killed. Why would anyone fly with low fuel, crazy.
Hey, Durk.... Hope you're healing fast!!

They just announced the name of the pilot and it is my Patent Atty!! What a great guy and he lived to fly. It was a Cessna 337 twin engine plane... and he actually got his engines restarted and was at full throttle trying to make it to a pasture....but he hit the power lines, then slammed nose first into a huge pine tree trunk. The plane exploded into tiny pieces. So, Maybe he did have some fuel but he just couldn't get any altitude. He had just taken off from here , then turned around radioing a mayday. Something happened... I still think he took off without fueling up.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:57 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,666 Posts
Hi Buzz:

The coon mask is starting to fade, just being bothered a bit by some headaches. Dang it is even worse when you know the pilot. Wonder if the vapors in the tank caused it to blow up after hitting the wires.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:58 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,174 Posts
Dang Buzz, sorry about that Guy you knew. I'm no pilot (but did a stint in the USAF) but I worked directly on aircraft loading munitions. I always thought checking the fuel level was right up there as one of the "Checks." I wonder if their was a problem with his gauges. What a tragedy

@Durk, one thing we learned early as a fire fighter, an empty tank of fuel is much more dangerous than a full tank of fuel. More vapors! Boy O Boy,,..how I know that

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
@Durk, one thing we learned early as a fire fighter, an empty tank of fuel is much more dangerous than a full tank of fuel. More vapors! Boy O Boy,,..how I know that

Mike.
Exactly! When Buzz said that the biggest part was the spinner and there was no fire I figured there was also no fuel. Those vapors are wicked, just as bad if not worse than natural gas.

Had a brand new 2 story house with a family of 4 blow up just down the street from my niece a couple of weeks ago, what else but natural gas could have caused that. The family was send to the hospital with non-life threathning injuries.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:47 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,302 Posts
Thanks guys... it's probably the way Paul would have wanted to go, but I can't help but think about how long he had to worry before the inevitable happened. There was no fire. No sign of any fuel from where I stood. When he clipped the power lines, he went down and hit a giant dead pine tree nose on. That's what caused the plane to "explode".... it flew apart into thousands of little pieces, and Paul was still in his seat. The "explosion" was not a fire explosion. It was the plane just totally flying into small parts.

One thing I don't understand is, if you know the configuration of this airplane, it is designed exactly like it's predecessor, the Cessna Skymaster. One engine in front to pull, one engine in back to push. It was thought to be one of the safest twin engine planes around. If one engine failed, you could fly on with the other. I hate to say it... but I believe he somehow took off on low fuel... He was still trying to fly between two trees into the pastures, but he hit the tree head on. And Durk... yes, no fire....no fuel. He must not have used his takeoff checklist since he was flying alone. The plane was made in 1968.

Yikes! I won't use gas in my home. A house on the beach side had an episode with natural gas. The family packed up and went on vacation. While they were gone the pilot light in their oven went out. It totally filled the house with gas. About a week later they returned but got to their house after dark. The husband got out of the car, unlocked the front door.... then flipped the switch to turn on the outside lights and the arc from the switch blew the house to pieces. None of them were seriously injured either.