HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2007, 07:46 PM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona
Well boys - looks like you both found an easier route to getting boomed than I did!

blkdog - how do you feel about the strain on the mounting post? Does it feel as if it would survive a bad impact? It looks as if it has the same sort of "O"ring as the Boomtown item which, on mine, seems to pull it backwards.

Lama duck - are you going to try the extreme battery holder now? It looks as if the rear mounts for it are incorporated in the boom holder. Any battery holder has to be an improvement on the standard one!
I have to admit that I was and am a bit worried about the strain on the mounting post. Overall it seems like it should work out just fine since the body is also pulling the other way (kind of). I am optimistic that it will survive a crash just fine since the tail can move to the left or right if it absolutely is forced to do so.
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2007, 07:48 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona
Lama duck - are you going to try the extreme battery holder now? It looks as if the rear mounts for it are incorporated in the boom holder. Any battery holder has to be an improvement on the standard one!
I assume you mean the holder for the v3 with the built in skids etc. Assuming the four screw holes are in the same places, it should fit, but to be honest, I will have to wait on someone else to try it first - I can't yet afford the $$$ risk. If someone has the Lama V3 xtreme battery holder and would like to measure the hole distances and let us know (hint) then I will give it a go

I might ask the guys at KR's Hobbies, Keith there was extremely helpfull when I contacted them before about when my Boom was shipped (almost instant reply on a saturday!)
lama lama duck is offline Find More Posts by lama lama duck
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:47 PM
Hey look at m... OH CRAP!
STL, Missouri
Joined May 2007
133 Posts
Hey guys i noticed the lama 4 with a CX Xtreme Boom kit, any Mods needed, I dont want to list that they will fit without knowing any changes. Thnx.
kr_1981 is offline Find More Posts by kr_1981
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:52 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr_1981
Hey guys i noticed the lama 4 with a CX Xtreme Boom kit, any Mods needed, I dont want to list that they will fit without knowing any changes. Thnx.
I don't think he modded his heli at all for the Xtreme boom.

As for the boom I put on...

Read my post. NO MODS to the copter or the boom. All I did was unscrew and flip the mount. It took 30 seconds to mount.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:17 AM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr_1981
Hi kr, i don't suppose you would be kr of kr's hobbies?

Regardless, the mods I made were very minor, and confined to the boom.
1. Using a small skewer, I stretched the top mounting holes on the boom a tiny bit to fit the canopy rod.
2. Using the end on a closed pair of pointy-nose pliers, I gently stretched the lower mounts a small bit to fit over the rods that hold the battery pack.

The plastic is very pliable, but still, be gentle!

One final note, I may do this to mine for the sake of perfection, looking at this pic:

The two lower mounts are slightly different.
On the far mount in the pic, there is a small raised edge, leading to the mounting hole. Gently removing that raised edge with a knife would give a 100% perfect fit, as the edge pushes against the bottom of the Lama's frame when you tighten up the battery holder's screws. No need to change the taller of the two mounting holes, it's height does not effect the mounting at all.

Not a big issue, but worth noting if you intend to list it as an upgrade to the Lama v4.
lama lama duck is offline Find More Posts by lama lama duck
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:18 AM
Keswick, VA
Joined Aug 2007
16 Posts
xtreme blades question

I got a set of the xtreme blades last night and put them on my lama. My question...Should I tighten the screws all the way down so that the blade doesn't move around like the stock ones did? It seems like they mount different than the stock ones since they are thicker. They rub slightly on the blade grip on one side when you rotate them back and forth so it's making me think they need to be screwed down tight to prevent movement.

Does how tight you tighten them affect anything with the flight of the heli?

Thanks guys! So far I am LOVING the new blades. It is a totally different helicopter after adding them. SOOOOO much easier to take off and hover now versus the stock blades!
cnorvelle is offline Find More Posts by cnorvelle
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:03 AM
Batemans Bay Australia
Joined Jul 2007
97 Posts
gday cnorvelle i actually preffer the blades to be loose but firm (a happy medium is how i would put it)i just got my extreme blades aswell, i guess i set them fairly loose,just enough so if you held you heli on its side the blades dont just dont spin in the holders and hit together,just enough to hold them where they should be,ive had the most success with the blades not too tight.cheers.James.ps i have the alloy blade holders.later
femur is offline Find More Posts by femur
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:17 AM
Keswick, VA
Joined Aug 2007
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by femur
ive had the most success with the blades not too tight.cheers.James.
Thanks James. I just wanted to confirm the way I did it was ok. I made them just tight enough so they don't flop around but not so tight that they don't move. I figured there was a reason for the stock blades being sort of loose. I had success with the blades this way last night during my test flight.

Thanks again.
cnorvelle is offline Find More Posts by cnorvelle
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:26 AM
Batemans Bay Australia
Joined Jul 2007
97 Posts
sweet you just explained it better than i did, i think too much into getting the words right sometimes happy to help cheers.James
femur is offline Find More Posts by femur
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
Flighty
The Emerald City
Joined Apr 2007
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder
my upgrades include the "turbo kit"
http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/cata...ins-p-185.html
the 180 bb motors
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...roducts_id=596
the extreme blades
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...roducts_id=600

Guess more a "downgrade but il like to play safe
http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/cata...ee-cp2-p-70.ht

My experience with these upgrades is not posetive right now.
After installing the turbo kit i had tbe and so far are unable to get rid of it.

The only items i could recomend right now are the motors but only after you have worn out the stock ones ; as replacements they do not improve flight using the stock esky lipo (and other 10 c lipo's )
This is most likely a issue that the lipo's can not suply the current.
I often get the red light on the 4 in 1 even while my voltspy does not indicate low voltage

My current setup is esky alu swash and lower head/ bladegrips but the stock inner axle/ head bladegrips flybar.
My flybar is not stock anymore ; in a atemt to hunt down the tbe couse i cut off the u ends and use wheel collars (as used on landing gears of fixed wing planes) to hold the weights in place ; this allouws me to move them arround to change balance , or move them inwards to change the effect of the flybar.

Also have i opened up the 4 in 1 and the 35 mhz version has a seperate reciever wich i replaced with a spectrum ar6000 .
my tx is a specrumized jr 6102 (loads of info just search this forum)
this allouws me to have a trottle curve and i mix about 7 % trottle on rudder to keep it from going up down when turning.

My flight times are 7 min and the motors do get hot.

Again my advice if yuare a beginner ; keep it stock until you break or wear out parts and you are confortable balancing parts ect
What does tbe stand for? Thanks
bigdaddydave is offline Find More Posts by bigdaddydave
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:06 AM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
is there a fuse mod for the lama v4 to prevent the 4in1 and motor from cooking?
xeth is offline Find More Posts by xeth
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:30 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddydave
What does tbe stand for? Thanks
It's the "Toilet Bowl Effect". It means your chopper is spinning (while facing in one-direction) like it's hanging from a piece of invisible string from the ceiling. You know, like it's going down the drain.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:53 AM
St. Louis
Joined Aug 2007
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
It's the "Toilet Bowl Effect". It means your chopper is spinning (while facing in one-direction) like it's hanging from a piece of invisible string from the ceiling. You know, like it's going down the drain.

So does this also include dropping down suddenly as well as the spinning? A buddy of mines coax will drop and spin suddenly but is usually recoverable if high enough. We thought it was due to some air pockets or 'cold' spots.
Sethorus is offline Find More Posts by Sethorus
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:58 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethorus
So does this also include dropping down suddenly as well as the spinning? A buddy of mines coax will drop and spin suddenly but is usually recoverable if high enough. We thought it was due to some air pockets or 'cold' spots.
I would say no, that's not the same. It's a subtle thing that happens when it is hovering. It just kind of tracks around on its own in a circle while facing the same direction the whole time.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:21 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
looking to go xtreme but not completely. which parts should I get, right now I'm looking at the xtreme motors bcx taiboom extended shaft.
fauxhammer is offline Find More Posts by fauxhammer
Last edited by fauxhammer; Sep 18, 2007 at 08:14 PM.