HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:08 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
It sounds like something somewhere is binding. To eliminate the motor as the problem try switching it with another motor. You mentioned a tight bearing in a previous post, any chance the bearing is causing the problem?
Bearings are new. In fact, I like the spacing on the smaller bearing. I guess I'm just gonna have to break down and try a new motor....oh well. I have heard of people getting bad motors.

@GRUMP, Dang! 160 flights!!!???!!! I time my flights the same as you and the best I think I got was about 80/85 maybe. You fly outside right?

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:02 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
@GRUMP, Dang! 160 flights!!!???!!! I time my flights the same as you and the best I think I got was about 80/85 maybe. You fly outside right?

Mike.
Mostly indoors - circuit flying from room to room. If the wind is nil then I'll fly outside that's like 1 out of 10 flights. My HoneyBee FP is the main outdoor Heli.
GRUMPEE is online now Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPEE View Post
Mostly indoors - circuit flying from room to room. If the wind is nil then I'll fly outside that's like 1 out of 10 flights. My HoneyBee FP is the main outdoor Heli.
This explains the double amount of flights you get compared to my V4. My V4 is "strictly" outdoors and I fly it like I stole it

Mike.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,808 Posts
Quote:
This explains the double amount of flights you get compared to my V4. My V4 is "strictly" outdoors and I fly it like I stole it

Mike.
And I had the impression that you did steal it. Thanks for clearing that point up for me, I feel much better knowing I am dealing with a honest person.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
I searched and could find it. does anyone know what it means when the gyro light goes from green to red in flight, then back to green?
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:33 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,855 Posts
It just means the 4-in-1 was being taxed a little from something it thought was stressful. As you approach 3/4 throttle and it draws extra power out of the battery, you'll see it. Most Esky components can be on the marginal side and the 4-in-1 is no different.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,322 Posts
Quote:
Dang nab it.. My rear Aero~Nuts motor is still running hot. I have used three different batts (same make, mah). After about 1 minute in the air she will start to yaw CCW. I counter that with trim. At about 2 minutes in the air, she will start to yaw to the point where the trim is now all the way over to the right (DX6i). At about 3 (but no more than 4 min.) she starts flying like a rock and must land. Motor is hot to touch but, did not need to pull my finger(s) away. Resting volts on one batt is 7.92 total V. (70%). The other batt 7.73 total V. (53%). I already charged the 3rd (1st used) without recording

No sense making any prop or gain adjustments as she flys beautiful right out of the gate. I'm beginning to think it's a bad motor. Have any of you Guys ever got a bad Aero~Nuts motor?

I am certain everything is good. I've gone over this heli three times. And yes Durk, the brass washer is in place with the lip facing upwards

I am stumped. Any bad motor stories would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.
I hate quoting myself as you all know but, otherwise you wouldn't know what I was talking about.

I found a used Aero~Nuts motor in a package that was labeled with a question mark ("A" rear) and cleaned up the armature of very little carbon with a gun patch sprayed down with contact cleaner (Radio Shack stuff). I got a full 5 minutes flying without landing. No yaw trimming was necessary at all. The motor was a bit hot but, I'm not too concerned as she's flying very well and not like a rock like before.

Conclusion (so far): I think I got a bad motor. Will keep you all up to date. Getting ready to fly out another batt. as soon as it comes out of the oven

Mike.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
It just means the 4-in-1 was being taxed a little from something it thought was stressful. As you approach 3/4 throttle and it draws extra power out of the battery, you'll see it. Most Esky components can be on the marginal side and the 4-in-1 is no different.
Hey, guys! Been a while. I think Jack has this one nailed. I used to fly up to about 50 feet or so, then let way off the throttle and let the bird almost fall. I learned the hard way about watching those little lights go from one color to the other. On my first "drop"... I didn't throttle up to 100% until I was about 3 ft off the ground. Nope!
That doesn't work! Whack! Didn't hurt anything but I didn't like it. So, I never waited that long to throttle up again. But, when I did throttle up that light was so bright under that much stress... I thought it was going to just stay on! It shortened my flight time by almost 2 minutes. Lots of amps wasted.

I did a similar thing with my quad. I let it drop and when I throttled up to stop it, 4 motors running wide open with that load made my battery squealer go off! I was nearing the end of that pack anyway... but, it was "whoosh" straight up ....then wheeeeeee all the way down and then when I hit 100% throttle I had to land. That battery was so hot I couldn't believe it....

Back to hot motors again.... I have had to replace two of the motors on my quad because they ran so hot one of them siezed up. I just installed a new motor and esc and when I fired up the quad... the prop didn't turn at all. Dark gray smoke started pouring out of the motor vents and before I co uld say
"OMG".... it fired up and ran. What a relief. Now it runs great ..... for 2 minutes.
Then it overheats again and stops. Now this is a new motor, right? So, why is it that when I stand over the quad and look down at the prop nut on the end of the shaft.... it's not running true at all. It's wobbling and that's causing the heat problem. Maybe they dropped it on the floor before they sent it to me, but I really have no desire to send it back to China for a replacement. It's like my wife tells me. "You work for hours on these things and they only fly about 30 seconds before they fall apart!" AHAHAHAHA! She's right!

Buzz
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,855 Posts
I've been flying heli's for 4 years now and just can't get the hang of my MQX. It flies great and most people have a blast with them, but I'm having a problem getting it to turn like a heli. They are super stable and have plenty of gumption. They have become the hottest thing since sliced bread. The problem with the MQX is the tiny brushed motors just don't last long. Which quad do you have, Buzz?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,322 Posts
Buzz, Buzz, Buzz....Is that you

That's a great observation on the motor shaft not running true. I shall have to look more closely at that motor that gave me trouble. Thanks for the heads up.

So, I ran a total of 3 batts out last night and I'm happy to report my V4 is flying great. I'm getting full flight time (5 minutes). I think this fiasco put a bit of a strain on my Rhino 750 batts. They don't seem as "punchy." So, for now, I'll just charge them one at a time and keep a close eye on them until they are back to normal. There is nearly 50 flights on each batt.

@Jack I know you have the Rhino 750's...How are your batts performing? How many flights?

Mike.
Last edited by Chap1012; Sep 13, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I've been flying heli's for 4 years now and just can't get the hang of my MQX. It flies great and most people have a blast with them, but I'm having a problem getting it to turn like a heli. They are super stable and have plenty of gumption. They have become the hottest thing since sliced bread. The problem with the MQX is the tiny brushed motors just don't last long. Which quad do you have, Buzz?
Hey, Jack... I have 3 of them. The frames are built by Tom at Hoverthings.com .
I use his frames. I have the original 300xs, an Apache system which I'm still working on, and I was chosen to beta test the new Gaui INS...then I got to keep it.
I've been using the Gaui motors ... but I went to a different outrunner and they're junk. I had one motor running hot, so i ordered another one and it does the same thing, right out of the box. Bent shaft. But this time it got so hot it was pouring smoke out of the motor vents. That was a new esc and motor and I don't know if I've burned up the motor or the esc.....or both. Aren't you flying a quad? I thought I saw you pop up in one of the quad forums.
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
ok, another question.

the heli works great for about 5 minutes then it starts to lose power and kinda bumble its way along the ground. its not the battery, I have 4 of em and after it starts doing it, you have to let it cool down for about 1/2 hour before it will fly right again.

what is the most likely suspect? motors going bad or the 4in1? something else?
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Aren't you flying a quad? I thought I saw you pop up in one of the quad forums.
I don't have anything sophisticated; I have an MQX (Eflite).
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
ok, another question.

the heli works great for about 5 minutes then it starts to lose power and kinda bumble its way along the ground. its not the battery, I have 4 of em and after it starts doing it, you have to let it cool down for about 1/2 hour before it will fly right again.

what is the most likely suspect? motors going bad or the 4in1? something else?
All you have to do is touch the motors to know if that's what it is. If they're hot, the motors are your problem - most likely what it is.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:25 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,855 Posts
Quote:

@Jack I know you have the Rhino 750's...How are your batts performing? How many flights?

Mike.
Well, I work 4 evenings/ week and have to put up with wind, so, it has been a dismal Summer for flying. I flew last night for a while, but used the "new" stock battery. I still have the 4 year old stock battery that came with the original Lama 4, a new stock battery from the A-300 and the two Rhino's. I haven't even been able to keep them rotated through, let alone put any real time on them. I moved the weights out to the 6 1/2" span and had porpoising as I thought I would. I'll have to see how much time I can get to play with those, change out to different blades, etc. before the season ends. This Winter, I'll replace the motors with Aero-Nutz.