HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:27 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,695 Posts
I know it's coming, but I haven't crashed in a looooooong time. The last time I bought parts was back around Christmas time. Believe me, there's nothing going on to crash about. This has been a terrible heli!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:32 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I know it's coming, but I haven't crashed in a looooooong time. The last time I bought parts was back around Christmas time. Believe me, there's nothing going on to crash about. This has been a terrible heli!
Jack, why don't you put the 1024RX in your V4 and order some Aero~Nuts motors? Bind it to your DX6i and have some fun. Dang Bud, I've been having a ball all summer long. My V4 is flying beautiful...knock on wood. I wish I could get my Champ out there as often. Now that school is back in session it's gonna be tough finding a flying field

Time to get back to "basics" Jack...get that V4 in the air

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,695 Posts
It's in the air, but it's a little dismal and the porpoising is a PITA! It'll be time to put it all away soon too. I'll have to swap in a pair of Aero-Nutz and start playing with the flybar.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Jack, I'm curious. What kind of blades are on your V4? Also, do you have blade stiffeners?

There is plenty of time left in the flying season

Mike.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,695 Posts
The blades are Xtremes and I do not have the stiffeners on, although I have 2 pairs. Maybe I'll try them again.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Quote:
The blades are Xtremes and I do not have the stiffeners on, although I have 2 pairs. Maybe I'll try them again.
I happen to favor Phase II plastic blades paired up with stiffeners I will not fly anything else. In fact the set I have on there now are about a year and a half old...they just don't want to break.

Just my 2

Mike.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:30 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Just my 2

Mike.
Used to be when 2 was worth something, those times are long gone.

You can keep your 2 for all I care!

frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Used to be when 2 was worth something, those times are long gone.

You can keep your 2 for all I care!

I invested wisely. That is just two cents from my two million
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Bearings!?!?

The first thing many of us forget are bearings. Because many of us lube them and they seem to turn nicely while on the shaft by hand, does this mean they are ok?

My brand new set of Aero~Nuts motors was installed and the rear motor started to get hot after a 3/4 minute flight (been flying Aero~Nuts for many years now). Both inner and outer shafts were straight and true. I did have to play with the gear mesh on the rear motor adding some shim material to raise that motor higher. I was still a bit unhappy with the gear mesh and test flights turned up a hot rear motor. You could not keep your fingers on it for more than 4 seconds.

I decided it was time for new bearings, seeing that these bearings were the originals (2007) but, I always kept them well lubed with my fave lube Break Free CLP (5 years...not too shabby). I replaced the stock bearings with the Boomtown bearings:
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/product_p/bth008.htm
As you can see I got the last set. Long story but Jamie at Boomtown took real good care of me and saw to it I got the correct bearings. The first set was incorrect...In fact, the whole batch Jamie got was incorrect. Hence, the "Out of Stock" notice while he corrects this problem. I must have been the first customer to purchase from this batch as Jamie thanked me graciously for bringing this to his attention.

After the installation of my new bearings, the rear motor was still running hot. Now I noticed that the gear mesh had changed as the Boomtown bearings "are" a hair larger in thickness for the smaller ones. This turned out to be a Godsend. Now, I knew I needed to remove some shim material, this time to drop the motor down some. In the process I noticed a loose screw. Evidently that screw somehow became stripped. Probably from too much shim material on that motor. So, I removed some shim material for a perfect mesh and replaced the motor screw.

I am pleased to announce my rear motor is now running at a normal temp. After a 4/5 minute flight, the motor is warm"ish" to touch. Not warm but, not hot either.

In conclusion: The next time one or the other motor is running hot, check your mesh and tightness of both motor screws. But, never dismiss the fact it could be the bearings as well.

I pass this off to you because this took me a good six weeks to nail down. Was it the bearings or the loose screw to the motor? IMHO, I think it was the bearings because the last set of Aero~Nuts the front motor was running very hot for unexplained reasons. Also I make a habit of checking the motor screws from time to time as a pre-flight check and sometimes I have found a motor screw loose....but not often.

Mike.
PS: sorry for the long post
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:15 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,488 Posts
And I thought the most important thing was the brass washer!

Sorry Mike, had to say it.

Nice post, lots of good info regarding your experience.

I remember another member that used to do long posts, haven't heard from him for awhile.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,695 Posts
If you can remember that far back, I had an Aero-Nutz motor with a stripped hole too - new. Being an Aero-Nutz dealer, Tony replaced it for me for free(even though I bought it elsewhere). Is it possible that the screw was threaded too far in and was rubbing on something internally?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Quote:
If you can remember that far back, I had an Aero-Nutz motor with a stripped hole too - new. Being an Aero-Nutz dealer, Tony replaced it for me for free(even though I bought it elsewhere). Is it possible that the screw was threaded too far in and was rubbing on something internally?
Actually it was the other way around. Because the motor needed to be shimmed "up" I think the screw was only grabbing a couple threads.

Mike.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Hot rear motor

Dang nab it.. My rear Aero~Nuts motor is still running hot. I have used three different batts (same make, mah). After about 1 minute in the air she will start to yaw CCW. I counter that with trim. At about 2 minutes in the air, she will start to yaw to the point where the trim is now all the way over to the right (DX6i). At about 3 (but no more than 4 min.) she starts flying like a rock and must land. Motor is hot to touch but, did not need to pull my finger(s) away. Resting volts on one batt is 7.92 total V. (70%). The other batt 7.73 total V. (53%). I already charged the 3rd (1st used) without recording

No sense making any prop or gain adjustments as she flys beautiful right out of the gate. I'm beginning to think it's a bad motor. Have any of you Guys ever got a bad Aero~Nuts motor?

I am certain everything is good. I've gone over this heli three times. And yes Durk, the brass washer is in place with the lip facing upwards

I am stumped. Any bad motor stories would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:20 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,139 Posts
Still on my first set of Aero Nuts @ 160 flights w/ 6-8min per on a Lama V3 with AFC blades, extended shaft, HobbyPartz Blue 800 mah 2s, bearings are stock originals. They do get hot to the touch. I usually fly w/little throttle modulation and around the 7 1/2 min mark, its start losing it's lift.
GRUMPEE is offline Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:06 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Dang nab it.. My rear Aero~Nuts motor is still running hot. I have used three different batts (same make, mah). After about 1 minute in the air she will start to yaw CCW. I counter that with trim. At about 2 minutes in the air, she will start to yaw to the point where the trim is now all the way over to the right (DX6i). At about 3 (but no more than 4 min.) she starts flying like a rock and must land. Motor is hot to touch but, did not need to pull my finger(s) away. Resting volts on one batt is 7.92 total V. (70%). The other batt 7.73 total V. (53%). I already charged the 3rd (1st used) without recording

No sense making any prop or gain adjustments as she flys beautiful right out of the gate. I'm beginning to think it's a bad motor. Have any of you Guys ever got a bad Aero~Nuts motor?

I am certain everything is good. I've gone over this heli three times. And yes Durk, the brass washer is in place with the lip facing upwards

I am stumped. Any bad motor stories would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.
It sounds like something somewhere is binding. To eliminate the motor as the problem try switching it with another motor. You mentioned a tight bearing in a previous post, any chance the bearing is causing the problem?