SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:11 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
Maybe months of no income had an affect on them taking orders again!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:05 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Maybe months of no income had an affect on them taking orders again!
We are all still awaiting your announcement as to how many sets you ordered. After all, you did burn up this thread in search of the all mighty "Aero Nuts" with the "huge" opening at the top of the can for great release of heat,,,...etc.

How many sets did you order Jack? Your secret is safe with us away from wifey. C'mon, spill the beans...I know you "love" these motors.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:08 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
I do love those motors and have two sets laying around that I should make use of in my no-so-great A-300/ Lama 4. Remember, I no longer need them in my CX-2. I'll admit I like the brushless set up in it, but might not have done that conversion if the idiots at Aero-Nutz hadn't messed with the supply of motors to dealers. If you hadn't bought a plane, you could have bought even more motors! Dee plane, dee plane!!!!
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
Fantasy Island 1978. The year the wife and I married. Dang, I feel bad for her

Fantasy Island TV Show Opening Theme Season One 1978 (1 min 36 sec)

50K for a three night stay

Mike.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
You need to maiden dee plane, dee plane! Then, Doctor Jones, you will see the mageek of the rock!
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:33 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
I have the Esky Lama 400D setup for FPV. And have noticed when you start adding weight to it, it doesn't behave well and the motors heat up excessively. Total weight added is ~50 grams with camera, power filter and video transmitter. I would take photos, but the helicopter quite literally self-destructed mid flight (threw a rotor blade) and turned into a mangled mess. So I now know I need those upgraded blades. I am assuming the blade upgrades in the first post will work.

A few questions:

1. How can I stabilize the helicpoter better with the added weight. I am assuming it should balance right at the main shaft.
2. The tail peices in the back - do they do anything? I know the one stabilizer keeps the tail from striking the ground but the others seem pointless.
3. Is there a better set of motors that won't heat up so much? Currently it is using the stock 390 motors.
4. Will the blade upgrade in the first post work with my helicopter?

Thanks,

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:42 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Scratch that... I just saw that the V4 is much smaller than my 400D. Ok, so I need replacement blades still. Any recommendations?

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
Hi Alex, as you have already figured out that this is the Esky Lama V4 thread. I'm a bit confused. I could not find an Esky Lama 400D. There is a Walkera Lama 400d though. Unless you are refering to the Esky BOL (Big Outdoor Lama).

There are already established threads for each model where I'm sure the Guys will give you plenty of info. I don't want to mislead you to the wrong thread.

Mike.

BTW Alex, Nice thread you have
Last edited by Chap1012; Jul 03, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:01 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
Alex, this is the Esky Lama 4 thread. Yours is the Walkera 400D - about twice the size, if not more. I think you need both!!
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, CT
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
I just tried leveling the swashplate... it's my first ever attempt. It's flying better... still can't get it to just hover hands free, or whatever they call it, lol. But now looking at the swashplate, I know that leveling it doesn't mean that it is level to the ground or anything, it is all sorts of twisted looking. Is this normal for a level swashplate? I checked the main screws and they are in the holes in the shaft from what I can tell.... Any thoughts? My Lama has had Extreme Skids and tailboom put on and a new canopy.

Thx for your time,
Marc
Dali555 is offline Find More Posts by Dali555
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
Welcome to RCG Marc. On page 1 of this thread you'll find "Klodikes Swashplate Leveling Tutorial." Your swash does not sound like it's level. Pictures from the side and back would help tremendously. Now, picture your swashplate in relation to the the main shaft. If you view your swashplate from the side and rear it should appear to look like an "L" (the bottom of the el "L" represents the swash and is 90* to the main shaft). You'll see what I mean once you look over the swashplate leveling instructions.

Mike.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
I'll agree with Mike says, BUT, there could be some kind of circumstance/ quirk that will not let your heli fly/ hover well with a perfectly level swash - it's a starting point. My new A-300 was extremely tail heavy and I spent a LONG time trying to get it to level out. With the Xtreme boom and canopy, at least you can make link adjustments without constantly taking 1/2 the heli apart to do it. Slight adjustments can probably be made using the sliders on the transmitter, but after that, the links have to be adjusted.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali555 View Post
I just tried leveling the swashplate... it's my first ever attempt. It's flying better... still can't get it to just hover hands free, or whatever they call it, lol. But now looking at the swashplate, I know that leveling it doesn't mean that it is level to the ground or anything, it is all sorts of twisted looking. Is this normal for a level swashplate? I checked the main screws and they are in the holes in the shaft from what I can tell.... Any thoughts? My Lama has had Extreme Skids and tailboom put on and a new canopy.

Thx for your time,
Marc
As I said, follow the Klodikes leveling tutorial. This tutorial is meant to get the swash "level by eye" using the pushrods for both the AIL and ELE. When this is done, now you start the process of "fine tuning." Just because the swash "looks" level it still might not fly right. The tutorial is only meant to get you in the ballpark. It's important to get it as "mechanically" level as possible.
IE: My swash has a bit of forward angling, hovers hands free with NO TX trim what-so-ever

Mike.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
Porpoising

Yes, same ol' Lama 4 problem. I had my old Lama 4 flying great with about 6 1/2" of separation between the flybar weights. I've been there and now all the way down to 4" of separation and I still have porpoising. It's ridiculous already. This A-300/ Lama 4 is very disappointing. I can't even get any decent flights out of it and I've been at it since I got it in December.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,051 Posts
If anyone is interested in a extra canopy for their lama v4 that is super cheap and more durable than the stock check out the doublehorse 9100 canopy. they're dirt cheap on ebay and are quite a bit thicker than the stock lama canopy. I just got one and it is a perfect fit. you'll need to punch in new holes and it's set. I got the black with the gold windscreen. I doubt that I'll see this one cracking all to pieces
Jetskeeter is offline Find More Posts by Jetskeeter