SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:08 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,142 Posts
I got a big thing of velcro from Wallmart. Still have a lot of it left. It has never failed me yet. I have never had a battery come loose. I even hang up some of my stuff (like my volt multimeter) with it. Works just fine.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:05 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,830 Posts
Just got done fixing my Bud's V4 after a 15' drop after hitting the ceiling. This is what happens when you lose concentration, look down at the TX for no reason for a "split second." Outer shaft is junk.

The "Super shaft" survived wonderfully

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:04 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
Now that you've shown one of Boomtown's boom brackets up close, is that bracket available without having to buy the whole shootin' match? It has to be just a touch bigger so the boom slides all the way through without drilling it out.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Just got done fixing my Bud's V4 after a 15' drop after hitting the ceiling. This is what happens when you lose concentration, look down at the TX for no reason for a "split second." Outer shaft is junk.

The "Super shaft" survived wonderfully

Mike.
It sure looks like the shaft has the "bends". Maybe if you put the heli in a decompression chamber it might straighten out by itself.

Were you able to staighten the shaft with your trusty "doctor's reflex" hammer?
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Now that you've shown one of Boomtown's boom brackets up close, is that bracket available without having to buy the whole shootin' match? It has to be just a touch bigger so the boom slides all the way through without drilling it out.
The Model 4 boom comes as a complete kit including two separate pieces. One piece for CX models and the other for the V4 to fit the underside of the main frame. The boom supports (or struts) you see that go from the fin to the bottom (base) is actually a black rubber "O" ring. There is no drilling involved, just a screwdriver

To my knowledge, the only part sold separate is the "O" ring.

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/BoomT...a_p/bth010.htm

Mike.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:32 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
It sure looks like the shaft has the "bends". Maybe if you put the heli in a decompression chamber it might straighten out by itself.

Were you able to staighten the shaft with your trusty "doctor's reflex" hammer?
The decompression chamber didn't work. For a good reason...the shaft had to be cut off I do have a system to straighten them but it doesn't involve the "doctors reflex" hammer...

Mike.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,142 Posts
Mike, ya got a system? Now that is awesome. So proud. Good stuff.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:44 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,830 Posts
I think you all might be interested in the new Xtreme swash I received today from "Boomtown Hobbies." I just noticed the ball ends on the newer Xtreme swash are much longer than the old Xtreme swash. Check out these pics. The old swash measures 3.45mm from the outside "flat" to the very end of the ball. The new Xtreme swash measures 4.35mm from the outside "flat" to the end of the ball. It's not only visually noticeable but in measurement as well. Pretty weird. Another thing. I went to "loc tite" the anti-rotational pin (this was SOP with these swash plates). I backed it off to discover it had already been done. And, a very nice job of doing so too.

Mike.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,830 Posts
Am I the only one with an Xtreme swash plate? No input on the pics with the "obvious" length difference of the link balls?

I'll report back to you all when it's installed. I have been way to busy to even look at it. As one member puts it...."busier than a cat covering poop."

Mike.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:43 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Am I the only one with an Xtreme swash plate? No input on the pics with the "obvious" length difference of the link balls?

I'll report back to you all when it's installed. I have been way to busy to even look at it. As one member puts it...."busier than a cat covering poop."

Mike.
Sorry Mike, I did not want to embarrass you any more than you were about your missing "ball".

The balls on that swash sure are a lot further out.

Now go cover that cat poop and get on the "ball".

frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
The difference in length is similar to the problem I ran into on the Xtreme composite blade holders on my CX-2. In that case, the balls needed to be shorter than what I got so the links were closer to vertical than at some weird angle. Nobody ever accused Xtreme of being too accurate in what they make.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:10 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
In another line of ideas that just don't seem to be working out well, I'm going to take off the HK 250 GT skids and plate. I can't get a canopy to fit using this set up. I'm going to go back to the stock skids mounted to the old Lama 4 battery tray modded for the credit card/ Velcro set up. So, that makes my A-300 another Lama 4. Hey, you don't know until you try!
On another note, I have 3 each Esky 0404 transmitters and a 72.870Mhz crystal sitting around if anybody has a need. I also have a good 4-in-1 (72Mhz).
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:47 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
After just telling a guy on another thread NOT to go with the extravagant Xtreme landing skids, I decided to get into changing out my Lama. I just wanted the stock Lama 4 battery tray and Velcro mod sitting on indestructible skids. Well, a guy recently unloaded some parts on me that he didn't want sitting around his heli shop anymore and what was in there but a set of Xtreme skids with Velcro in two different spots. It's ridiculous how many pieces Xtreme uses to make up anything that they sell. I think whomever they had design this thing must have gotten paid by the number of parts in it. Their boom, or at least the one that was on my original Lama 4 I got 4 years ago, was the same way. The boom I'm talking about is on this heli. Look at how many screws are involved!!!!!! Anyway, I put it on and got a 250 canopy to go on with it, so, I guess I'm ready when and if the weather ever gets better.
BTW, I had this heli out in the yard the other night and I have to tell you, for something that still has stock motors, it moves out pretty darn good. I have no idea how it even flies since it doesn't have the magic Xtreme swash on it!!
If you zoom in on the picture, you can see the black Velcro on the upper surface of the shelf where a stock size battery would fit. If you look closely, you can see some goofy looking bird molded into the plastic of one of the skid pieces. THAT is what makes the heli so FAST!!!! Shhhhhhh . Be vewy vewy quiet and don't tell anybody!!
Last edited by kodak_jack; Apr 22, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
Hi,

Allow me to change the topic a bit..

Can anyone tell me what the "PROPORTIONAL" pot, on the RX, is for? My friend's "Newest Lama V4" seem to be too docile. It's more like flying an under-powered rock than a helicopter. (his heli is not here, but it's save to assume that it has the newest 4 IN 1). It hovers really well but moves very slowly when full cyclic is applied (No D/R on the its radio).

ALSO,

After swapping in a pair of Xtreme Pro 180, the solid Green LED on the RX will turn Orange when more than 3/4 throttle is applied (The original LiPo was fully charged). I did not notice this with the original motors. Is this an over current warning?

Does anyone have a link to download the manual for the 4 IN 1?
on.looker is offline Find More Posts by on.looker
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:38 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by on.looker View Post
Hi,

Allow me to change the topic a bit..

Can anyone tell me what the "PROPORTIONAL" pot, on the RX, is for? My friend's "Newest Lama V4" seem to be too docile. It's more like flying an under-powered rock than a helicopter. (his heli is not here, but it's save to assume that it has the newest 4 IN 1). It hovers really well but moves very slowly when full cyclic is applied (No D/R on the its radio).

ALSO,

After swapping in a pair of Xtreme Pro 180, the solid Green LED on the RX will turn Orange when more than 3/4 throttle is applied (The original LiPo was fully charged). I did not notice this with the original motors. Is this an over current warning?

Does anyone have a link to download the manual for the 4 IN 1?
You don't need to make any adjustments to either the "Proportional" or "Gain" pots. Your heli is hovering great right out of the box. The V4 is pretty docile. This can be overcome by some upgrades. Just click on some of the user names and see what they have on their helis. There are many pictures. If you are looking for a little faster forward flight (FFF), you can always install longer servo horns. If you do this, you risk a swash plate separation, SO, you'd want to get a better swash plate (i've been there, done that). Now you will have to get a longer inner shaft to separate the blades so you don't get blade strike in FFF. How much reading time do you have on hand

BTW, my 72mhz 4in1 red light would come on after about 75% throttle, then go off when the throttle was cut back. Pretty sure this is normal with the orange light. I'm sure the LED goes back to normal when the throttle is cut back right?

Mike.