HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
AMA 988154
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Keep in mind that adding gain makes the tail more sensitive. Being turned all the way down, it has to be picking up something in the drive train. It doesn't take much.
The credit card/ Velcro mod is to accommodate other than stock batteries as well as changing the center of gravity for better fast forward flight.
It seems even with the velcro attached to the battery and the credit card (using industrial grade velcro) the battery still loosens up. I reinstalled the stock battery holder and with the fuzzy side of the velcro attached to the battery and it seems to stay put. For how long is questionable. With regard to the slight twitch I guess I have not found that sweet spot on the gain pot yet. I have replaced the gears, shafts, bearings and just about anything else that could cause vibration. I am looking for any suggestions
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
K4, as far as gain adjustment. Increase the gain until you acquire what they call "tail wag." The tail of the heli will flick quickly back and forth... "hunting" if you will. Now turn the gain down slowly until it smooths out. You can do this adjustment while the heli is still powered up.

EDIT: about that vibration. Are your blades balanced? Very important! Click on my user name to access my blog. There is a tutorial I have about blade balancing. Very easy..

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
I thought he started with tail wag and wanted to get rid of it?
Hobby grade Velcro doesn't seem to do a lot to hold the battery. I used the stuff from Hobby King and it's better, but it's always a good idea to reinforce that with a rubber band, a bent up piece of wire or anything that will go under the battery and prevent it from falling out. My latest brain storm is to use the elastic things that little girls use in their hair to keep it in place. On my A-300, the battery tray and skids are completely different from the Lama 4. I can use one of those things to keep the fat stock battery from falling out and then I use the elastic all on its own to hold the Rhino batteries.
The backward tendency of this A-300 were getting on my nerves, so, I taped a lousy quarter to the inside of the canopy nose to help bias it a little more. Hey, whatever works.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Jack, I have been having the same problem as you keeping the batts in place. I have the stock battery holder base so the "area" of velcro coverage is good. Right? Wrong. I've tried several modelers types of velcro and the best so far is Industrial Strength that I bought at a marina store. I'm thinking about going the next strength down from this. I think the "hooks" on the recieving end may be too large.

I couldn't get the hair band around the batt/skid (i know different skid) so I just flipped a rubber band around on it for added security when I start flying like a nut I'm thinking about given the rubber band a few wraps with electrical tape so the battery slides in and out a bit easier. I'll tape it just where it criss cross's over the batt.

BTW, gotta love those 750's huh

Mike.

EDIT: I just put some electrical tape around the rubber band just where they criss cross. Not too bad. Thanks for the idea Jack..
Last edited by Chap1012; Mar 26, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:50 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Gotta watch that stuff, Mike. Somebody will think we know what we're doing instead of us using a WAG.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:53 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Quote:
Gotta watch that stuff, Mike. Somebody will think we know what we're doing instead of us using a WAG.
WAG?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
WAG?
Wild AZZZZ Guess.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,062 Posts
WAG!!! I love it!!! Good one.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:43 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Quote:
Wild AZZZZ Guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
WAG!!! I love it!!! Good one.
Lee
LOL, and speaking of "WAGS", I've been messing around with different velcro combinations. If you recall, I mentioned that the receiving end (the hook part) of the "industrial" type was a bit short and somewhat more spread apart. I changed it out to a "tighter" and "longer" hooked velcro (no name) and as you can tell, I enlarged the gripping area a bit. I'll let you all know how the test flights turn out holding that Rhino 750.
Mike.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, MI, Chelsea
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Here's what I did on my big outdoor lama it may work for you guys as well. I ran a piece of plastic from one skid to another then used velcro on the battery and the piece of plastic. However I also have one of the velcro straps they use to bundle up computer cables that wraps around the battery and the piece of plastic to keep the battery from falling off. It works really well here's a pic.

stafphoto is offline Find More Posts by stafphoto
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
I had a Rhino on my A-300 this evening when I took it out. I don't know what it is with this heli, but it just doesn't want to fly for crap. It may be going back to a Lama 4 configuration. I thought I had it all adjusted, but under real back yard conditions, "not so much".
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Quote:
I had a Rhino on my A-300 this evening when I took it out. I don't know what it is with this heli, but it just doesn't want to fly for crap. It may be going back to a Lama 4 configuration. I thought I had it all adjusted, but under real back yard conditions, "not so much".
Is it binding? Can you sneak your finger through the canopy and feel the motors to see if they are running hot? Jack, do you have that configured for outdoor flight?

@stafphoto, I have some of those computer wraps too. If you go back and look at the pic I submitted, you'll see that the strap would not work. It would hit the bottom of the "A" gear and may get caught up in the pinion as well. I even thought of slicing it down the middle to make it skinnier...that was a no go. Maybe someone could add to that idea

Mike.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:07 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Is it binding? Can you sneak your finger through the canopy and feel the motors to see if they are running hot? Jack, do you have that configured for outdoor flight?
Mike.
Yes, Mike, it's configured for outdoor flight with parts from the old Lama 4. Now, it'll have even more of the old Lama 4 parts on it as it gets converted.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Enough is Enough!

I know it's hard for most of you to believe, but it's a terrible day in Rottenchester. So, something HAD to be done with that A-300!!
On another thread for a different brand of heli, I discussed getting a Hobby King 250GT skid set for next to nothing. The problem with that heli was that the infamous brushless mod was going to require a 3 cell battery and it wouldn't fit its fat butt under those skids. I was about to pull out my old Lama 4 skids and battery tray when this thing stood up in the parts tote and screamed at me. Well, the stock Esky battery and the Rhino's do fit under the 250GT skids! So, I wanted to put them under the neutered A-300. The stock battery tray and skids came off. I located the back holes and drilled them, but the front holes were on the edge of an existing slot in the plate. I could only put slots off the one that was there and relied on the washer headed screws to hold that section. Then I looked at it with the stiffening ribs molded in and decided a piece of Velcro wouldn't stick very well. I thought of using a credit card as usual when I saw the many elastic hair bands I have. I walk at a local grammar school after hours and the parking lot and school floor are littered with these things(but they have to be BLUE, right?!). I did a double loop of one and it holds the Rhino and stock batteries very well. My only drawback is the skid height, as Sven pointed out, will not clear my FAT 3 cell Turnigy battery. No big deal. I think I can survive on 2 cells. The only remaining problem is how to attach a canopy. I don't have the loops from a stock battery tray up front and the stuff sticking down in front won't easily allow the bottom of a canopy to move back far enough to use the back CF rod at the servo area. On the Stamp Lama 3 canopy the bottom of the canopy is sandwiched in place, but not securely. I could possibly put two holes where the back corners of the canopy are and then string something back to the CF rod, but I don't know how swift that would look.
As soon as this was done, I had to get it in the air inside and it is as smooth a silk right now. I'll have to put it through its paces outside when the weather improves.
This puts our buddy, Sven, in a unique spot. I think he's the only one posting here who is flying an A-300.
Last edited by kodak_jack; Apr 01, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
7,057 Posts
Kodak:

It looks like you are finally getting somewhere, it will be interesing to see how it flies outside. I have a feeling it will fly great.

Durk
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander