SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:31 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
So I connected the controller to my PC using through the Trainer slot on the back, launched FMS (on Windows 7), but the rendering is very noisy and flickery.

Anything I can do about that? Does it help to practice on the simulator anyway?
Gush is offline Find More Posts by Gush
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:36 AM
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Honestly, FMS is the worst simulator out there. Its physics simulation is nothing like real life. As far as things go you don't really need a simulator for a coaxial. If it's setup right it will hover basically hands free.

What you need a simulator for is collective pitch helicopters.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
ok, great, got your point.

Now i have another problem.
both lights are flashing on the recharger, and as mentioned on it, it seems my battery went bad.

how can this happen? can it be the wall I ran into?
Gush is offline Find More Posts by Gush
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:59 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gush View Post
ok, great, got your point.

Now i have another problem.
both lights are flashing on the recharger, and as mentioned on it, it seems my battery went bad.

how can this happen? can it be the wall I ran into?
Is this the stock charger EK2-0851? First there are instructions on the face of the charger and what those lights mean. If the lights are flashing try unplugging "everything." Wait about 3 minutes, plug everything back up and try again. If you get the same flashing then something must be wrong with the batt. Try another batt. Do you have a volt meter to check your batts?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Is this the stock charger EK2-0851? First there are instructions on the face of the charger and what those lights mean. If the lights are flashing try unplugging "everything." Wait about 3 minutes, plug everything back up and try again. If you get the same flashing then something must be wrong with the batt. Try another batt. Do you have a volt meter to check your batts?

Mike.
Thanks for your reply Mike,

It is the EK2-0851, and as per the instructions ("Red and green light flashing: battery goes wrong") the battery is gone

I'll take the battery and the charger to the store, there I'll figure it out for sure.
Gush is offline Find More Posts by Gush
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:32 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
It could be a bad charger BUT, where you don't have another battery to check it with it's a 50/50 crap shoot..
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
AMA 988154
k4pacific's Avatar
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Extreme Landing Skid V2

Has anyone used the Xtreme V2 landing gear set on the Lama V4? It is solidly constructed, however, the Esky 7.4v 800mAh lipo will not fit. The battery is just a bit too high. Any suggestions?

Thanks
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:37 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
Has anyone used the Xtreme V2 landing gear set on the Lama V4? It is solidly constructed, however, the Esky 7.4v 800mAh lipo will not fit. The battery is just a bit too high. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hobby King has a huge selection of lipos. I have what they call is the velcro/credit card mod. With a pod and boom config with this credit card mod, you can just about fly any battery size. Take a look at this page and check out the Rhino 610mah. Click on the battery and it will give you all the details of the size, etc. You can also look at other brands. The important thing here is they give you dimensions of all the batts they sell which IMHO makes it extremely easy to buy batts. Myself I fly the 750mah 20C (30C burst) The 610mah is no slouch either

Hobby King batts:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2&LiPoConfig=2

BTW, is this the skids you have?
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7966

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
Has anyone used the Xtreme V2 landing gear set on the Lama V4? It is solidly constructed, however, the Esky 7.4v 800mAh lipo will not fit. The battery is just a bit too high. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Well, I wrote exactly the same right here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1528109&page=6

(Scroll down to post#78!)

I am not completely done with the solution to this ... but one way is to cut the battery cage at a certain point ... the other would be to just "scratch" the battery cage - but the problem then is how to fix the battery ??
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:26 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Well, I wrote exactly the same right here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1528109&page=6

(Scroll down to post#78!)

I am not completely done with the solution to this ... but one way is to cut the battery cage at a certain point ... the other would be to just "scratch" the battery cage - but the problem then is how to fix the battery ??
Esky didn't do anybody any favors with the new A-300 battery tray either. The door does NOT work, so, get rid of it. The tray and skids together make it a PITA to convert to the credit card mod because the posts that fasten the skids are in the way. Going to a stock V4 battery tray won't work because the stock V4 skids come out at an angle and interfere with the canopy. I have only messed with the heli in the house, but am not sure the skids that are meant to go with the canopy are going to hold up very well under real outdoor landings. BTW, Sven, even though I roughed up the plastic before painting the skids black, the paint is now flaking like on yours.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Feb 25, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:36 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
They didn't do anybody any favors with the new A-300 battery tray either. The door does NOT work, so, get rid of it. The tray and skids together make it a PITA to convert to the credit card mod because the posts that fasten the skids are in the way. Going to a stock V4 battery tray won't work because the stock V4 skids come out at an angle and interfere with the canopy. I have only messed with the heli in the house, but am not sure the skids that are meant to go with the canopy are going to hold up very well under real outdoor landings. BTW, Sven, even though I roughed up the plastic before painting the skids black, the paint is now flaking like on yours.
That is because of the type of plastic they use. I think they are using the same type of plastic (class) as delrin is in (again, Delrin is NOT a description for a certain quality, it is just a name for a certain polymer within the class of self-lubricating polymers) and I am convinced that the skid fall into the same category - which is why the paint NEVER really bonds with the material (at least not as long as you take acrylic paint - have you ever tried to CA them? Same result ... the CA is not really bonding if you DIRECTLY connect the plastic ... but it does once you put a layer of papertowel in between ...)

Maybe if you use SPECIFIC LEXAN paint for the skids it would bond ... just a thought, I never tried this ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:54 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
That is because of the type of plastic they use. I think they are using the same type of plastic (class) as delrin is in (again, Delrin is NOT a description for a certain quality, it is just a name for a certain polymer within the class of self-lubricating polymers) and I am convinced that the skid fall into the same category - which is why the paint NEVER really bonds with the material (at least not as long as you take acrylic paint - have you ever tried to CA them? Same result ... the CA is not really bonding if you DIRECTLY connect the plastic ... but it does once you put a layer of papertowel in between ...)

Maybe if you use SPECIFIC LEXAN paint for the skids it would bond ... just a thought, I never tried this ...
Lexan is a popular material to use in industry as guarding/ viewing window material. It does not take glue very well as in trying to glue two pieces together.
When I read through your Xtreme build, you mention the Xtreme parts getting well past $200. Add another $100 for a basic Lama 4 and you have a $300 blinged out Lama?!!!!!!!!!!! That $200, 350 size heli guys are buying now at least would claim to fly in some kind of wind for the money or the BIG Walkera 400D would give you a large coax for $200, but loading a Lama 4 up with Xtreme parts that give you the same heli, I don't know about that one. Your estimation on the Xtreme 55 Degree blades is a lot less lift? I guess I'm not one for sending mine more than 20 feet up, but I would like decent fast forward flight. Do you think they're good for that? Do you see less coning because they're stiffer?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
AMA 988154
k4pacific's Avatar
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Hobby King has a huge selection of lipos. I have what they call is the velcro/credit card mod. With a pod and boom config with this credit card mod, you can just about fly any battery size. Take a look at this page and check out the Rhino 610mah. Click on the battery and it will give you all the details of the size, etc. You can also look at other brands. The important thing here is they give you dimensions of all the batts they sell which IMHO makes it extremely easy to buy batts. Myself I fly the 750mah 20C (30C burst) The 610mah is no slouch either

Hobby King batts:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2&LiPoConfig=2

BTW, is this the skids you have?
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7966

Mike.
Yes, those are the same skids and battery holder. I really thought I had got a substantial setup using the V2 assembly. I will probably order some 750 mAh batteries from Hobbyking. Just part of the learning curve. I assume the 750 mAh batteries will fit?? In the meantime I am going to make a credit card/velcro mod to use the 3 Esky batteries I have. Bummer.
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
Yes, those are the same skids and battery holder. I really thought I had got a substantial setup using the V2 assembly. I will probably order some 750 mAh batteries from Hobbyking. Just part of the learning curve. I assume the 750 mAh batteries will fit?? In the meantime I am going to make a credit card/velcro mod to use the 3 Esky batteries I have. Bummer.
Did you take a look at the link I posted ? the 750mAh Rhinos will not fit in the Xtreme skids either ... except you cut them as I mentioned ... (or if Xterme in the meantime changed the design of the skids - which I respectfully doubt ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
AMA 988154
k4pacific's Avatar
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Did you take a look at the link I posted ? the 750mAh Rhinos will not fit in the Xtreme skids either ... except you cut them as I mentioned ... (or if Xterme in the meantime changed the design of the skids - which I respectfully doubt ...)
Yes, you are correct. I just measured the cage of V2 with a micrometer and the 750 mAh will not fit. Is it my eyes or are the Hobbyking measurement callouts wrong? The length (A) is ok, however it would appear their measurements for the height (B) and the width (C) are reversed per their illustration?? If the actual height of the 610 mAh battery is 10mm, then per my measurements of the cage (ID) their is approximately 4.74mm of space between the top of the battery and the cage?? Also, if I measured the width of the cage correct 29.65mm their isn't much space if any for the width of the battery, which is given as 30mm.

I guess it all boils down to the question, will the 610 mAh Rhino fit, and you say it does, which is good enough for me.
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Lama parts. Xtreme tial/blades/etc. GFBurke Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Feb 14, 2007 05:58 PM
Found WANTED: CORONA PARTS , NEW, USED, UPGRADES, etc... setting up for Nephew kookboy Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Jan 07, 2007 02:26 AM