HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:47 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,261 Posts
Danpos, as far as landing gear goes. I trim the tabs off my L3 battery tray and do a velcro mod to it. Then I buy a cheap set of either Trex 250 or 450 plastic skids. Cost, less than $5. I use cf rod for my skid tubes and they are iron tough. Plus, I have used the B4 booms but prefer a set of Xtreme boom mounts with inside mounted 4.5mm cf rod and cf trex 250 stabs. Again, cost, less than $10 and it stays put. Now as far as canopies. I also run Trex 250s on all of mine. Cost, less than $5 at Hobbyking.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, NM, Los Lunas
Joined Jan 2012
65 Posts
4-in-1 controller, link on stabilizer bar

Okay, so I've crashed my Lama V4 again. Can anyone tell my what the gain and proportional adjustments do? Which way do I turn them to get my helicopter to fly stable?
Second question, what side does the link from the stabilizer bar to the upper blade grips go?
mrmki81 is offline Find More Posts by mrmki81
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:43 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmki81 View Post
Okay, so I've crashed my Lama V4 again. Can anyone tell my what the gain and proportional adjustments do? Which way do I turn them to get my helicopter to fly stable?
Second question, what side does the link from the stabilizer bar to the upper blade grips go?
The proportional adjustment adjusts the amount of power going to the motors. If you give one motor more power than the other, the heli is going to spin because one motor will be putting out more speed and torque than the other. The gain will determine how good the tail holds position. With that adjustment, you are adjusting the gain of the gyro. If you put in too much gain, the tail will wag like a dog's tail because it's always trying to compensate for small changes, like vibration, in the heli. In both cases, you need to make small changes as they are only one-turn pots. It's rare that you should have to play much with either adjustment because they are set at the factory and are pretty good.
In a crash, you are more likely to bend a shaft than to need proportional or gain adjustments. If a shaft is bent, the heli won't fly well anymore.
As you can imagine, you can put the flybar in one of two ways. Depending on how you put it in that USELESS stock, plastic head, the link will connect to the side it is near. It can't really connect to the opposite side - have a look at it.
I updated the previous post and gave you a link to the Xtreme boom bracket. I've attached a picture showing how it looks after the installation.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, NM, Los Lunas
Joined Jan 2012
65 Posts
Thank you so much, that was very helpful. I'm not sure if I'm going to just keep replacing parts for my lama v4 or move on to something bigger for outside cause it is so hard to fly indoors with limited space. I just keep crashing and replacing parts. It is hard to learn the orientation if I keep crashing and then fixing, then adjusting, then crashing again. Being that the parts are online I have to wait and wait till I can fly it again. It is kind of fustrating. Thanks again for the help.
mrmki81 is offline Find More Posts by mrmki81
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,261 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much, that was very helpful. I'm not sure if I'm going to just keep replacing parts for my lama v4 or move on to something bigger for outside cause it is so hard to fly indoors with limited space. I just keep crashing and replacing parts. It is hard to learn the orientation if I keep crashing and then fixing, then adjusting, then crashing again. Being that the parts are online I have to wait and wait till I can fly it again. It is kind of fustrating. Thanks again for the help.
That is the frustrating part of this hobby. Until you get basic flying down and or upgrade your equipment so the heli flies much more precisely this will continue either until you are now reflexively flying or you bail out. Helis are not cheap. I have drawers filled with coaxial parts as I was on my journey. Glad I did it and stuck it out. Now I fly with 3s brushless power with mine inside a small 14x15 room loaded with furniture, a large flat screen and huge surround sound equipment. I fly full on. Banks, fig 8s, and all of it is within inches of something or another. The point here is not me bragging about being a great pilot. But simply telling you the progression it takes to get to this point. Plus, if you think this is hard. Wait till you pop up your first CP heli.

Keep at it and keep practicing. I promise there will come a day when you quit wrecking and start having fun.....lots of fun......
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:33 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Look at this thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Micro-Co...8387390&sr=8-1
Looks just like a Lama body.
Although only 2 channel.
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:26 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Look at this thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Micro-Co...8387390&sr=8-1
Looks just like a Lama body.
Although only 2 channel.
Jim, this is a new low for you...looking at 2 channel helis now. I know you sold your V4 but c'mon Guy, get a grip

2 channel...you are too funny Dood Are they fun
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:35 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
Quote:
Limited space has always been a problem starting out flying helis. Check around your community for schools, churches, veterans organizations, etc and ask for a little fly space in their hall/gym . Having this extra space will help tremendously...trust me This is how I learned but I lucked out having a hall at my disposal. Ask around, you would be surprised.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Help with Lama V4

Hello all, new to this forum but find it has a wealth of info. Anyway I've just began my hobby with the rc heli's. Purchased a Lama V4 last week and been playing with it. Problem is I cannot get the cw rotation out of it. I used this forum for adj. as it was not ready to fly out of box. Got the Lama hovering with all trims in center except for the proportional. Have it max'd out all way to left. Also have proportional pot adj. all way to left also. Hovers great with fresh battery and slider in middle but as battery gets weaker have to do flight adj to compensate. With battery near charging level the trim will end up max'd out to the left. Is their anything else left to do or could their be a weak motor involved and getting weak as it heats up? Thanks for any info,
Ron
Ronmc is offline Find More Posts by Ronmc
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:43 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Jim, this is a new low for you...looking at 2 channel helis now. I know you sold your V4 but c'mon Guy, get a grip

2 channel...you are too funny Dood Are they fun
All I did was click a banner ad on THIS site. I saw the pic and I wanted to learn more.
Once I saw it was 2ch I closed the site lol.
But it really does look like a Lama 4.
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmc View Post
Hello all, new to this forum but find it has a wealth of info. Anyway I've just began my hobby with the rc heli's. Purchased a Lama V4 last week and been playing with it. Problem is I cannot get the cw rotation out of it. I used this forum for adj. as it was not ready to fly out of box. Got the Lama hovering with all trims in center except for the proportional. Have it max'd out all way to left. Also have proportional pot adj. all way to left also. Hovers great with fresh battery and slider in middle but as battery gets weaker have to do flight adj to compensate. With battery near charging level the trim will end up max'd out to the left. Is their anything else left to do or could their be a weak motor involved and getting weak as it heats up? Thanks for any info,
Ron
Hey Ron, sounds like a motor issue or dragging bearing to me. Also, pull your gears out and take a close look at the brass spacer located on the outer shaft as it presses up into the body against the lower shaft support bearing. The ridge has to be facing the bearing. Next, check the upper lock collar on the outer shaft also and make sure the same applies there. Then check the actual bearings with the shafts partly installed and spin the inner shaft and outer shaft in those bearings and make sure they rotate freely. If so there is a pretty good chance your motor is dragging. If the motor is dragging do not fly it. You risk toasting your expensive controller.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:50 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,370 Posts
deleted
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Feb 05, 2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: sorry - double posted
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:50 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
All I did was click a banner ad on THIS site. I saw the pic and I wanted to learn more.
Once I saw it was 2ch I closed the site lol.
But it really does look like a Lama 4.
It WAS also sold in a 4ch version at some point in time ...
(you can even see the spaces in the fuse where the servo rods to the swashplate were usually running ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,245 Posts
bent shaft? after fixing a new gear look ok no wobling after a few min hover it start wobling like in the video, 2 gear striped because of this i check the shaft seem to be ok need to check again i guess but i dont have any extra gear left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uwkcmSi4pM
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,891 Posts
A bent inner shaft will almost always be on the opposite end - at the top. What you are showing is a wobbling Xtreme gear. The collar that is supposed to lock the gear in place doesn't always seat very well and it allows the gear to wobble. If you are near a local hobby shop, buy an Eflite inner shaft gear and give that a try. For some reason, the Eflite gears have always been cheaper to buy and easier to get, but they work on a Lama too.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack