HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:16 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,157 Posts
As far as the blades from the link - they can be used for a V4 (I did that years ago with my own V4). However, they cant be used in original length ... they must be cut down shorter than the original V4 blades, but it works.

For the inner shaft and the blade strikes, I tend to second Tony - an extended inner is the "safest" way to 'no blade strikes'. But with a really hard blade (like the CF reinforced Acro blades) the risk of blade strike even with a stock length inner shaft is a lot lower than with any other blades I have tried (maybe the CF blades I want to test for the V4 when I am back are an alternative ... who knows)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
37 Posts
Now that we're talking about batteries... Did anyone have any experience with 3-cell batteries and stock lama v4 motors? I know that they're rated for 3 V operation, but I'd like to use them in a project where they might be ruining in the area of 10 V to 12 V.
AndrejaKo is offline Find More Posts by AndrejaKo
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:55 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
The problem with using a "really hard blade" is that really hard blades tend to break really easy when they hit a solid object.

Extended shafts with the normal blade selection (airy hardens, Xtreme, etc) are the best mix of reliability and performance. Carbon fiber blades would be completely sacrificing crash survivability to eliminate blade strikes. Don't forget that the primary reason that almost everyone goes with aftermarket blades is that they get tired of having to replace their blades every time they look at them wrong.

On the subject of batteries, the user Stamp has flown 3s with his brushed coaxial for quite a long time now. As far as I know the only con to using them is that the brushes are going to wear out faster due to the increased rpm.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
37 Posts
Thanks a lot!
AndrejaKo is offline Find More Posts by AndrejaKo
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Hey all, new user and first time poster. I got a Lama V4 a few months back as a gift, and recently decided to upgrade to the Xtreme shafts, with the Esky aluminum swashplate and the Xtreme gears, as well as the Xtreme 180 motors. However, after getting everything installed, I'm getting what I've seen referred to as "toilet bowl effect" and I can't seem to find a way to dial it out with the proportional on the 4-in-1 controller...the helicopter just wants to spin. I'm hoping I can get some direction here...thanks in advance!
FreeJack2k2 is offline Find More Posts by FreeJack2k2
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:36 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJack2k2 View Post
Hey all, new user and first time poster. I got a Lama V4 a few months back as a gift, and recently decided to upgrade to the Xtreme shafts, with the Esky aluminum swashplate and the Xtreme gears, as well as the Xtreme 180 motors. However, after getting everything installed, I'm getting what I've seen referred to as "toilet bowl effect" and I can't seem to find a way to dial it out with the proportional on the 4-in-1 controller...the helicopter just wants to spin. I'm hoping I can get some direction here...thanks in advance!
TBE is "almost" always related to the flybar 99.99%. Check to make sure your flybar is straight and balanced (balance we'll get to later). Make sure the flybar is not binding at all. Binding of any kind is a No.No. It must be nice and floppy and bouncy. Pop the flybar off and roll it on a flat surface. Eye ball the metal flybar rod for humps as you roll it. Straighten it accordingly by bending it in the opposite direction of the bend or hump.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:39 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJack2k2 View Post
Ok wait,
First you mention tbe...then you say the heli spins. Is it spinning on its vertical axis or doing big circles in the air?
Jim

By the way, welcome
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Ok wait,
First you mention tbe...then you say the heli spins. Is it spinning on its vertical axis or doing big circles in the air?
Jim

By the way, welcome
Thanks

I'm holding the chassis (body off) and can feel it wanting to spin around the drive shafts, I assumed that was toilet bowl but maybe not (not familiar with the terminology yet). The torque that I'm feeling as I hold it and apply throttle tells me that if I let it go, it'd just spin in circles around its center axis (the shafts). I can't seem to figure out how to get the 4-in-1 to dial it out but I'm assuming it's a discrepancy between how fast the two motors are spinning, or how fast the shafts are. I can't see that there's any binding anywhere, the gears move freely off-power (with the expected resistance from the motors) so I don't know what to do. I'm a beginner with helicopters (have spent years with off-road), just learning the ropes.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:08 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,242 Posts
Ok cool,
That narrows it down. It's not toilet bowl. You have to adjust the proportional on the 4in1. Turn the prop (with a small flat screwdriver) toward the direction the heli wants to spin in. You have to keep going in small increments till you get it nice and steady. Keep in mind as the battery runs down the heli will want to yaw (spin on its axis) because the motors will draw different current amounts etc.
After you get the spinning adjusted...try to fly it. If the tail wobbles back and forth...you will have to adjust the gain. Let us know how you do.
Also...are you using the stock body or do you have a pod and boom?
If you are removing the stock body and trying to fly it it will spin. The tail portion of the body acts as a weight and the gyro "senses" that lack of weight etc and without it it won't fly correctly.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Last edited by Stamp; Sep 30, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
I'll try it again after I put the tail section on, with a fully charged battery, when I get home tonight...but any and all adjustments I was making on the 4-in-1 seemed to have very little effect, without it. Hopefully that helps, I'll be back if not!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:28 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,551 Posts
Urgent Notice!

I'm sure there is a forum here about this... but I'm going to post it here.
I have no idea if you've seen this... It could affect us all in the long run.
The AMA, Tower Hobbies and others have sent this to me... Please read it...
Thanks!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/feds...n-and-capitol/

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:44 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I'm sure there is a forum here about this... but I'm going to post it here.
I have no idea if you've seen this... It could affect us all in the long run.
The AMA, Tower Hobbies and others have sent this to me... Please read it...
Thanks!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/feds...n-and-capitol/

Buzz
Buzz, you can't veiw anything unless you sign up. It looks like it's about our moron up here in Mass. Say Ashland?

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:51 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,943 Posts
FreeJack, welcome. You may have a slipping rotor. I would check for that before adjusting the brick. Did you at least mark/remember where the dials were before you started trying to dial it out? Hope we can get ya hooked up. Flying them is more fun than working on them. But, honestlly, I enjoy that part too. Happy Flyin. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:54 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,777 Posts
That story was on the news here yesterday. It does not surprise me to hear it, always figured it was just a matter of time when someone would rig an RC bomb.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:00 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Buzz, you can't veiw anything unless you sign up. It looks like it's about our moron up here in Mass. Say Ashland?

Mike.
I was able to view the link Mike and I never had to sign up. Read the whole story and all the comments.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander