SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:17 AM
Mod it like you stole it!
Joined Jul 2009
579 Posts
Sounds to me like a C/G problem. The xtreme tail boom is quite heavier than the boomtown tail boom set, which is much lighter and preferred by most. The heavier boom will cause a see-saw effect when transitioning from ff to a stop. I personally have neither. I customized my own boom...................Kato
katoace is online now Find More Posts by katoace
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:44 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoace View Post
Sounds to me like a C/G problem. The xtreme tail boom is quite heavier than the boomtown tail boom set, which is much lighter and preferred by most. The heavier boom will cause a see-saw effect when transitioning from ff to a stop. I personally have neither. I customized my own boom...................Kato
The fins on that set are of little use and do give more weight than what's necessary. CG can be more readily charged if the credit card/Velcro mod is used. For those not versed on painting the Xtreme canopy, it gets painted on the inside. If painted on the outside, it'll flake off pretty quickly. If the decals are going to be used, most of the paint gets covered anyway.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
Update; The flights are now much better after tightening the blades a touch more.
I've tightened the blades to the point that they don't fold if I push them on their own, but they fold with a gentle effort when I push on them while holding the blade grips. Before, they would fold very easily by just pushing on the blades very gently without even holding the grips.
Is this the sort of blade tension you guys are using?

Really quite happy with the bird now, and it only flies a little less stable than it did when stock.

When i've sprayed my canopy i'll get an image put on here. I think it will look great.
Purple Aki is offline Find More Posts by Purple Aki
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
I spoke too soon;
On my second flight the pendulum effect returned.
I then decided to use a drop of GT85 (ptfe lubricant spray) on my blade nubs, flybar nubs, and a drop on the balls where the ball link connects to.
The stability is now like when it was stock.

So, if anyone suffers with a bit of tbe/pendulum effect, get a small dot of GT85 on ALL of the upper rotor parts as mentioned above. Although the flybar and blade holders appeared free to move, they evidently weren't as free as they could've been.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:22 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Aki View Post
I spoke too soon;
On my second flight the pendulum effect returned.
I then decided to use a drop of GT85 (ptfe lubricant spray) on my blade nubs, flybar nubs, and a drop on the balls where the ball link connects to.
The stability is now like when it was stock.

So, if anyone suffers with a bit of tbe/pendulum effect, get a small dot of GT85 on ALL of the upper rotor parts as mentioned above. Although the flybar and blade holders appeared free to move, they evidently weren't as free as they could've been.
I hope that lube you used is plastic friendly. Otherwise those parts will melt in front of your eyes. I use Break Free CLP on all my moving parts and bearings. I think many members have already pointed out that the flybar "must" be very loose and bouncy. Even the slightest amount of binding ain't gonna cut it. Try moving the flybar weights in a little to get rid of that pendulum effect (or possibly porpoising).

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
Mike, I regularly use the Gt85 to clean parts on my rc cars and I believe it's widely used by car valeters, etc.
Unfortunately, I can't move my flybar weights in anymore as i've got the xtreme led flybar and they're screwed on tightly.
Touchwood though, the heli is flying very well now.
I can do an hands off hover for about 15 seconds which isn't bad considering i've only got about 10x10x10ft of area in my room.

I'm gonna be picking up my Tamiya lexan spray paint tomorrow, and will post an image of the bird when it's done.
I'm really happy with the outcome at the moment all thanks to the gang on here.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:06 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,249 Posts
Quote:
Mike, I regularly use the Gt85 to clean parts on my rc cars and I believe it's widely used by car valeters, etc.
Unfortunately, I can't move my flybar weights in anymore as i've got the xtreme led flybar and they're screwed on tightly.
Touchwood though, the heli is flying very well now.
I can do an hands off hover for about 15 seconds which isn't bad considering i've only got about 10x10x10ft of area in my room.

I'm gonna be picking up my Tamiya lexan spray paint tomorrow, and will post an image of the bird when it's done.
I'm really happy with the outcome at the moment all thanks to the gang on here.
I should have googled GT85 Do you know Break Free CLP was created/designed,tested and approved "exclusively" for the DoD? I have been using this since about 1978. : http://www.break-free.com/?location=/main.asp And, of course it's made in the USA

Glad to hear the heli is flying better. Your next flybar (IMMHO) should be an Xtreme CF

We will be waiting on those pics

Mike.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
I'm using a mobile phone and don't have access to a pc at present so can't upload images to this site. Can anyone upload a couple of images for me please if I email them to you?
My email address is; [email]trax
Don't think i've done a bad job considering it's my first spray job.
Even with all the added weight, I timed a flight to 9min 21sec until my battery couldn't hover.
Well happy with the outcome.
Last edited by Purple Aki; May 07, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
Ignore my last post, as I managed to upload an image with my phone.
I think it looks pretty sweet....
Last edited by Purple Aki; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:54 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,806 Posts
Quote:
Ignore my last post, as I managed to upload an image with my phone.
I think it looks pretty sweet....
How did you figure out the clear mask for the windshield? I may be wrong or it may be an optical/ photographic illusion, but the one end of the flybar looks as if it isn't sitting on there right. It looks as if the end is fat-side to the front, so to speak. It just seems as if it will create a big resistance to air flow. I think it came out pretty nice. Is that green battery one from Deal Extreme - a Mystery battery? Mine didn't last more than a year of not too frequent flying.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
How did you figure out the clear mask for the windshield? I may be wrong or it may be an optical/ photographic illusion, but the one end of the flybar looks as if it isn't sitting on there right. It looks as if the end is fat-side to the front, so to speak. It just seems as if it will create a big resistance to air flow. I think it came out pretty nice. Is that green battery one from Deal Extreme - a Mystery battery? Mine didn't last more than a year of not too frequent flying.
Hi Mike,

The window mask that I was supplied with was tacky on one side, as were the decals, so there was no water involved with adding them. On the canopy, on the inside, there is also a windshield shape that you use as a template to stick your mask to.
You're right about the flybar. I noticed it and put it back to how it should be.

Btw, the battery is the stock ek1 0181 esky lipo.
Coincidentally though, i've ordered a mystery lipo and a Turnigy lipo off eBay.

How many cycles would you say you've had out of the mystery lipo?
The one i've ordered costs about 2.40 ($4) from China, so if I only get 50 cycles out of it i'll be happy.
Last edited by Purple Aki; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,249 Posts
Purps, It was not I who brought the flybar and windsheild masking to your attention. That was Kodak Jack.

BTW, I had Mystery batts. About 6 of them. They all seem to crap out at the same time. I got rid of my flight book/recordings on those so, I really forget how many cycles I got. OH, and try and time your flights better. You don't want to fly your batt to the point where throttle is getting nill. Not good. I keep my fly times to about 6 or 7 minutes. After the flight(s) there is plenty of juice left in the batt so there is nothing to do. RE: if you go beyond LVC you have to put that pack on the charger and bring it back up to storage voltage (i like a minimum 7.8v total on a 2S pak). Fly and treat your lipos well

Nice looking heli Guy

Mike.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:39 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,806 Posts
My Mystery battery lasted about a year, but that was only about 20+ flights and about 7 months of little or no use. My original battery is now about 3+ years old and still providing service. The Turnigy lipo I recently bought is a 3 cell and looks like a fat pillow. Anything I buy from Hong Kong requires a signature or I have to go to the post office and retrieve it if I'm not home.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
While i'm on a spending spree, can anyone recommend any alternative lipos that have stood the test of time?
Anyone had any luck with the esky lipos from China off eBay?
Not sure whether they're gonna be counterfeit or not, but they're incredibly cheap.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:54 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,242 Posts
I have some new lipos you can have that I'll not be using since I'm selling the Lama4 I have.

Edit...they are 3s.
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp