HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:38 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal
I still get the TBE with the Xtreme extended Al shaft (no matter what I do ) so now I'm waiting for the Esky aluminum one.

-Max
A bad case of TBE krept up on mine for the first time the other day. After a few battery packs of trying to fix it I solved it. I'm pretty sure the main source is in the flybar.

I rebalanced my blades, then straightened the flybar and balanced it as well and TBE went away.

I think the acual fix was balancing the flybar though because that was the last thing I did along with re-balancing the blades and then it went away.

To balance the flybar i just set the center point of it on the corner if a hard flat suface..edge of a box, table, whatever.. and then hold the linkage piece in my hand so it didnt interfere. Then adjusted the rubber wieghts until the flybar would rest nice and centered.

After getting everything balanced almost all vibration was gone as well. the tail vibrates a tiny bit, thats about it.
sideburn is online now Find More Posts by sideburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:44 AM
Swamp Flyer
Florida
Joined Aug 2007
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
I already ordered 2 more batteries from these guys last week.

According to the order tracking, they haven't shipped yet. What's the deal? I thought they were quick? At one point last week it said they were awaiting stock from supplier, but that was like thursday?
I've had stuff come amazingly fast from them and other things take a month. If it's not in stock or if they run out it may take awhile.

My last order ended up coming in three different shipments in a 3 week spread.
BullGator is offline Find More Posts by BullGator
Old Jan 07, 2008, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
Has anyone tried the extended shafts from these guys:

http://www.lamav4.com/

It looks like the longer inner shaft can still use the original plastic head. I'm not sure this is an advantage, though.
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
Old Jan 07, 2008, 01:03 PM
Newburyport, MA
Joined Dec 2007
25 Posts
Blade Clash?

Hi...
I have tried flying my new Lama v4 outside a few times when the air is still and it works fine. However, occasionally air movement (not even a breeze really) has tried to push it where I don't want it to go such as into a tree. At thees times I have turned away, given more throttle and and full forward. Twice now the v4 has suddenly gone into a high speed dive. Hitting slightly crusted snow did no damage, but angling into the driveway broke the canopy and the blades were chipped up. The first time it happened I figgured I got confused, but the second time... Anyone think this could be caused by the dreaded blade clash? I'm new to this stuff. If I could fly it better I wouldn't have to be outside.
WGhen is offline Find More Posts by WGhen
Old Jan 07, 2008, 01:20 PM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGhen
Hi...
I have tried flying my new Lama v4 outside a few times when the air is still and it works fine. However, occasionally air movement (not even a breeze really) has tried to push it where I don't want it to go such as into a tree. At thees times I have turned away, given more throttle and and full forward. Twice now the v4 has suddenly gone into a high speed dive. Hitting slightly crusted snow did no damage, but angling into the driveway broke the canopy and the blades were chipped up. The first time it happened I figgured I got confused, but the second time... Anyone think this could be caused by the dreaded blade clash? I'm new to this stuff. If I could fly it better I wouldn't have to be outside.
are you using the original blades? If so, I would think if the blades did clash, they would have broken instantly in the air. I broke my first set of blades this weekend when it tipped over slightly and hit wet grass.

the oem blades are really flimsy.
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
Old Jan 07, 2008, 01:31 PM
Newburyport, MA
Joined Dec 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
are you using the original blades? If so, I would think if the blades did clash, they would have broken instantly in the air. I broke my first set of blades this weekend when it tipped over slightly and hit wet grass.

the oem blades are really flimsy.
They are the stock blades (Harden upgrades on order) and they were broken in the case where it hit the driveway, and just chipped and torn some when it hit the snow. Whether some of the damage occurred before impact is not clear.
Old Jan 07, 2008, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole
Are you not afraid one might come off during flight, smashing a window or hit you in the eye?
A valid concern Wormhole. However, I fly outside 99% of the time so not really afraid Ill hit anything with an errant wheel collar. Biggest concern is hitting something with the heli itself.

The set screws are tightened extremenly tight, so tight I'm not sure if I can get them off without stripping the allen wrench so I dont think one will fling off. Since I track my blades with my eyes level with the top blades and flybar, I wore a pair of safety goggles just in case a wheel weight came off while I was tracking.

Putting a bend in the end of the flybar is a possibility, I might just take your recommendation and do that.
rotorwing54 is offline Find More Posts by rotorwing54
Old Jan 07, 2008, 02:29 PM
Swamp Flyer
Florida
Joined Aug 2007
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGhen
Hi...
If it was blade clash, you'd probably see some evidence of that on the blades. Keep in mind that a coax doesn't have the flight characteristics of a FP or CP heli, and what seems like a reasonable maneuver can become a crash very quickly.

If you read through this thread, you'll see it called "death roll" and other unprintable names. In my experience (and without writing a book here), almost any turn that involves banking can have very bad consequences.
BullGator is offline Find More Posts by BullGator
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:06 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Has anyone with a V4 or V3 tried to install a Spektrum radio/receiver/3-in-1 from a CX2 in their Lama?

I like the blade grip arrangement better on the V4, but I like the Spektrum radio gear better on the CX2.

Maybe I wll buy a V4 and try to swap the radio gear just to see if it works???
RMG2 is offline Find More Posts by RMG2
Last edited by RMG2; Jan 07, 2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2008, 04:26 PM
NL
Joined Sep 2007
40 Posts
use some threadlock as well rotorwing54
Wormhole is offline Find More Posts by Wormhole
Old Jan 07, 2008, 05:02 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator
If it was blade clash, you'd probably see some evidence of that on the blades. Keep in mind that a coax doesn't have the flight characteristics of a FP or CP heli, and what seems like a reasonable maneuver can become a crash very quickly.

If you read through this thread, you'll see it called "death roll" and other unprintable names. In my experience (and without writing a book here), almost any turn that involves banking can have very bad consequences.
Sounds to me like you could be flying back into the heli's own down wash. I and other posters who ventured outside have seen sudden altitude drops of 10-20 feet when flying back to an area where the heli was a few moments earlier. When you hit one of these "holes" full throttle will not maintain altitude. Bottom line, if you fly up to something and need to back track be ready for a sudden altitude loss. If you approach from down low and leave up high you can stay above it. If you come in high, then back off throttle as you realize you do not want to go there, then when you fly back you will be into the down wash.
Don
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:35 AM
Joined Nov 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Sounds to me like you could be flying back into the heli's own down wash. I and other posters who ventured outside have seen sudden altitude drops of 10-20 feet when flying back to an area where the heli was a few moments earlier. When you hit one of these "holes" full throttle will not maintain altitude. Bottom line, if you fly up to something and need to back track be ready for a sudden altitude loss. If you approach from down low and leave up high you can stay above it. If you come in high, then back off throttle as you realize you do not want to go there, then when you fly back you will be into the down wash.
Don
I think what bz1mcr is talking about is Vortex Ring State. or "Power Settling"
Defined as: Uncontrolled rate of decent caused by the heli rotor encountering disturbed air as it settles into its own downwash at high power settings.

I read about it in a magazine a month or two ago.
rotorwing54 is offline Find More Posts by rotorwing54
Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:57 AM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
And it's oh so much fun to do in the real thing!

-JT
jtspin is offline Find More Posts by jtspin
Old Jan 08, 2008, 06:21 AM
Newburyport, MA
Joined Dec 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Don
I guess that's possible. I was not turning at all but WAS backtracking. Into a slight head ... er... zepher. It went into a dive at about 45 degress and angled in. Don't rule out pilot error. I'm very new at this.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 07:24 AM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Does the esky cnc inner shaft help in preventing the flybar problem?
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven