HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:44 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
more boom mounting fun

ahah ranavalona, I didn't look closely enough. Nice work with the piano wire!

Do the carbon boom supporting rods that came with the kit help at all?

Where did you mount them the the Lama4 frame?
lama lama duck is offline Find More Posts by lama lama duck
Last edited by lama lama duck; Aug 28, 2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Not reading previous post carefully enough...
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:22 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
892 Posts
You wouldn't have seen them before 'cos I've only just fitted them.

The "support rods" as you call them are actually the supplied "O" ring. Rather than support the boom, it actually holds it down. The booms only fixing is the body support dowel. Without the "O" ring, it can pivot upwards as shown below.
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:37 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
o-ring

- I wondered where this mystical o-ring was - you kept mentioning it, but I didn't click that it was the "lower supporting rods" that I was yacking about.

Now I understand entirely!

The support on the CX/CX2 is much stronger and comes out pseudo-horizontally from servo. Hopefully the Xtreme boom's lower mounts will come into play here, but I will still need some sort of support like the piano wire you have used.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:31 AM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
Installed!!!

I have got the parts, and installed them, and the boom works!!!

Most importantly, it looks awesome and not a single significant modification was made to the Lama or the boom!

Here are the pics:

Notes:
-All 4 mounting holes on the boom had to be widened slightly, the upper ones to accept the canopy mounting rod, and the lower ones to attach to the main-frame. Widening can be done gently with a small screwdriver, as the plastic stretches quite easily without actually drilling.

Directions:
1. Remove both the canopy pieces from the Lama V4
2. Assemble boom, slightly enlarging the top mounting holes on the boom to fit the canopy mounting rod.
3. Unscrew the battery holder (4 screws) and move to side
4. Extending from the bottom of the Lama's frame will be 4 posts that had the screws from (3) entering them to hold the battery holder.
5. Enlarge the lower mounts on the Xtreme boom to fit neatly around the rear two of these posts.
6. Push the lower boom mounts over the rear posts, the top hole on the boom will now match up with the top canopy mount on the lama.
7. Re-attach the battery holder with the 4 screws, this should hold the Xtreme boom's lower mount in place.
8. Re-attach the canopy, the top canopy mounting rod will hold the boom's upper mounts perfectly.

Applaude yourself, and settle down for a contragulatory beer.

Or if not drinking, trim the heli slightly forward, and test it out. I found that the easiest way to account for most of the boom's weight is to move the 4in1 nearer to the front of the heli.

Sorry for the rubbish photo quality, if someone wants to take better one's with a proper camera when they try this out, be my guest!
Last edited by lama lama duck; Aug 29, 2007 at 03:28 AM. Reason: extra info + photos
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:14 AM
Joined Aug 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
Ok, I just installed the new inner shaft with Aluminum hub on my LAMA V4. Very easy install. Even for my sausage fingers.

Here is the piece:

Miracle Mart is sold out of these - too bad. The crappy stock flybar attachment is a pain, and the flybar can be impossible to find in the grass.

A little piece of duct tape over the top of the shaft has solved the problem for me, but the look leaves something to be desired.

So, has anyone had a good experience with the extended aluminum innner shaft ? Reduced blade strike would be good, but the reviews I've seen have been negative.

Thanks,
Misfire
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:25 AM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lama lama duck
I have got the parts, and installed them, and the boom works!!!

Most importantly, it looks awesome and not a single significant modification was made to the Lama or the boom!

Here are the pics:

Notes:
-All 4 mounting holes on the boom had to be widened slightly, the upper ones to accept the canopy mounting rod, and the lower ones to attach to the main-frame. Widening can be done gently with a small screwdriver, as the plastic stretches quite easily without actually drilling.

Directions:
1. Remove both the canopy pieces from the Lama V4
2. Assemble boom, slightly enlarging the top mounting holes on the boom to fit the canopy mounting rod.
3. Unscrew the battery holder (4 screws) and move to side
4. Extending from the bottom of the Lama's frame will be 4 posts that had the screws from (3) entering them to hold the battery holder.
5. Enlarge the lower mounts on the Xtreme boom to fit neatly around the rear two of these posts.
6. Push the lower boom mounts over the rear posts, the top hole on the boom will now match up with the top canopy mount on the lama.
7. Re-attach the battery holder with the 4 screws, this should hold the Xtreme boom's lower mount in place.
8. Re-attach the canopy, the top canopy mounting rod will hold the boom's upper mounts perfectly.

Applaude yourself, and settle down for a contragulatory beer.

Or if not drinking, trim the heli slightly forward, and test it out. I found that the easiest way to account for most of the boom's weight is to move the 4in1 nearer to the front of the heli.

Sorry for the rubbish photo quality, if someone wants to take better one's with a proper camera when they try this out, be my guest!
Dude, that looks fantastic! Just to clarify, that's a CX2 Xtreme boom?

Also, what is hanging on the bottom? Looks like something is not attached. That looks a little odd. No?
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:50 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire
Miracle Mart is sold out of these - too bad. The crappy stock flybar attachment is a pain, and the flybar can be impossible to find in the grass.

A little piece of duct tape over the top of the shaft has solved the problem for me, but the look leaves something to be desired.

So, has anyone had a good experience with the extended aluminum innner shaft ? Reduced blade strike would be good, but the reviews I've seen have been negative.

Thanks,
Misfire
You can get the Esky aluminum shaft here:

http://hobby-lobby.com/lamav4-upgrade.htm

Hobby Lobby might not be the cheapest but they have the best service HANDS DOWN. I have ordered from Slick Zero, Miracle-Mart, State Line Hobbies, BPHobbies, KRSHobbies, Tower Hobbies, etc. Hobby Lobby is the fastest to ship.

I just ordered the Xtreme extended center shaft. I'll let you know how it works after I get it.
Last edited by blkdog7; Aug 29, 2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:30 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
clarification

Quote:
Dude, that looks fantastic! Just to clarify, that's a CX2 Xtreme boom?
Yep, that is KR's Hobbies Xtreme CX/CX2 boom. I think the hanging bit at the bottom fits around the Xtreme CX/CX2 frame/skids. It is attached quite solidly though.

I could trim it off, but I wanted to do the mod with as little modding as possible

I think a bigger front canopy would help a little there - I accidently deleted a bookmark to a replacement white canopy, I will dig it up when I can.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:33 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
lld,

How much does all that weigh compared to the stock tail? It looks like a whole lot of stuff there.

-JT
jtspin is offline Find More Posts by jtspin
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:46 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtspin
lld,

How much does all that weigh compared to the stock tail? It looks like a whole lot of stuff there.

-JT
I couldn't give you a measure in grams, but after the mod, I had to trim the collective fully forward, and move the 4in1 as far forward as possible to correct. The best solution would be to follow the swashplate leveling tutorial and extend the left-hand pushrod (looking from the tail forward) to balance out the change.

Really, it weighs virtually nothing, but that is still more than the one-peice plastic canopy
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:51 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
Have you noticed a decrease in flight times?

-JT
jtspin is offline Find More Posts by jtspin
Old Aug 29, 2007, 05:00 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
not really, the xtreme blades mean that I use significantly less throttle to hover etc, so I guess it would balance out.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 05:40 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Got my boom

Ok, I got my CX2 boom in the mail today. This is a very basic all carbon fiber boom. It is VERY VERY light. Woot! It sure seems like it IS lighter than the vacuum formed PVC boom that came with my Lama V4.

First thing I noticed was it didn't fit!!! Eek! The connection plate just didn't fit. But.... NO PROBLEM!! Just unscrew it and FLIP IT around and rescrew it. VOILA! That's it, that's all it took. It totally fits my LAMA V4 with NO MODS at all and it looks cool and seems to be VERY light.

I have been unable to test the flight of the LAMA V4 since I installed it since my outer shaft is bent. As soon as that part arrives I'll report back. In the mean time, check out some photos!

BTW - I paid $18.00 for this boom with shipping. I bought it at STATELINE HOBBIES NOTE: I bought it on one of their Ebay auctions for $18.00 with free shipping. They normally charge $29.99 for the boom! So, check out their Ebay auctions before ordering from their website!
Last edited by blkdog7; Aug 29, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 05:58 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
wow blkdog, that boom looks a hell of a lot sexier than mine!
(insert envy emoticon thingo here)
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:17 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
892 Posts
Well boys - looks like you both found an easier route to getting boomed than I did!

blkdog - how do you feel about the strain on the mounting post? Does it feel as if it would survive a bad impact? It looks as if it has the same sort of "O"ring as the Boomtown item which, on mine, seems to pull it backwards.

Lama duck - are you going to try the extreme battery holder now? It looks as if the rear mounts for it are incorporated in the boom holder. Any battery holder has to be an improvement on the standard one!
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona