HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2011, 04:13 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Stamp promised me the ones I bought will be perfect when I get them and I'll just have to slap them on!!
Slap 'em on and fly!
I'm betting they were in your mail today.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Slap 'em on and fly!
I'm betting they were in your mail today.
Jim
You are absolutely right, sir!! They look great. If I get a chance, I'll throw them on before I head to the airport tomorrow. It's a quick weekend with my sons, so, I won't have time to fly with my son or even stop to see the infamous Lee The Tree Guy!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 19, 2011, 11:54 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Have a safe journey Jack. And, check those blades. Take a peek at my blog (click user name)

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old May 20, 2011, 01:52 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Have a safe journey Jack. And, check those blades. Take a peek at my blog (click user name)

Mike.
Thanks, Mike. I'm heading to Road Atlanta (SCCA racing).
Old May 20, 2011, 06:41 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
That is just down the street from me Jack. Dang
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 20, 2011, 08:41 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Ok guys here you go. Sorry for the late post. Here is the revised canopy (gives even clearance all the way around the swashplate), and the fin design I came up with.

For the canopy, the one slight problem I had was that I had to heat the plastic a bit to get it to curve correctly. Even after it still tries to flatten back out at the front.Ive taken an empty ink pen tube, split it and used it like coping on the bottom edge to keep it a little straighter. I just wish I had rigid black tubing that small.

If anyone wants a beefier tailboom, ( something that dosen't look like a bamboo skewer) I used a piece of tv antenna...super light and strong and works great with the tailboom mount I designed. Next best thing if not better than an arrow shaft. I just sanded it with 400 and spray painted it.

For the fins, I cut them from the same folder material as the canopy. They were prebent to match the curve of the boom and stuck on with good thin double sided tape.

Ive included a pic for reference on the fins. I hope people can use these. This hobby is all about enjoying our time and sharing info. Pass your ideas on guys.

Tim.

P.S. Can someone please tell me the absolute best batteries for the v4? Weight, power,quality combination.
cabman1969 is offline Find More Posts by cabman1969
Last edited by cabman1969; May 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:13 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Dang Tim, I couldn't open the PDF. but, I get the idea. Nice job!!

Batteries: I noticed you have the velcro mod to hold the batteries. This is good

I have two of these but, I think I flew them into the ground. I only get about 5 min on them now. They are nice:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7305

If I decide NOT to go with a 3S, this will be my next choice. I haven't flown them and I don't know anyone else who has. On back order:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7306

And then you have the good ole' Mystery batteries from China at DealXtreme. Many guys have had good luck with these including myself. A bad batch came out some time ago but, has since been straightened out:http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mystery...licopters-7621

I'm sure someone will add to the list..

Mike.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:20 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
Quote:
Dang Tim, I couldn't open the PDF. but, I get the idea. Nice job!!

Batteries: I noticed you have the velcro mod to hold the batteries. This is good

I have two of these but, I think I flew them into the ground. I only get about 5 min on them now. They are nice:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7305

If I decide NOT to go with a 3S, this will be my next choice. I haven't flown them and I don't know anyone else who has. On back order:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7306

And then you have the good ole' Mystery batteries from China at DealXtreme. Many guys have had good luck with these including myself. A bad batch came out some time ago but, has since been straightened out:http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mystery...licopters-7621

I'm sure someone will add to the list..

Mike.
The Mystery battery is specifically for the Lama, but mine didn't last as long as the original Esky, which I'm STILL using - on its 3rd year!
Old May 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The Mystery battery is specifically for the Lama, but mine didn't last as long as the original Esky, which I'm STILL using - on its 3rd year!
I also have 4 Esky stockers that are three years old and still hanging in there. I don't get the good flight times I used to get though.

Mike.
Old May 20, 2011, 01:08 PM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
More n00b questions. Trying to reassemble my lama with new body, outer shaft and xtreme motors. Question is what goes between outer shaft and body ? Only single bearing? Cause now it seems that outer shaft is too close to the body... ?
Meska is offline Find More Posts by Meska
Old May 20, 2011, 01:37 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meska View Post
More n00b questions. Trying to reassemble my lama with new body, outer shaft and xtreme motors. Question is what goes between outer shaft and body ? Only single bearing? Cause now it seems that outer shaft is too close to the body... ?
Here is a break down as to how everything goes back together. Pay close attention to that little brass washer pictured in the diagram.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=69665

Mike.
Old May 20, 2011, 04:24 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Here is a slight variation on Mike's 4-in-1 tray mod. I had apparently already canabalized the 4-in-1 tray from my old frame so I used the rear post that holds the tail/canopy pin. You could combine the two for super-stable tray (but i don't know that it would be necessary).

Nothing real impressive, just more food for thought...and I was bored since I can't fly!
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old May 20, 2011, 04:45 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
Excellent Ethan Did you get a chance to fly it like that?

Mike.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:11 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
No flight yet, still having issues with batteries or motors or 4-in-1 or something... haven't figured it out yet...
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old May 21, 2011, 03:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Here is a break down as to how everything goes back together. Pay close attention to that little brass washer pictured in the diagram.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=69665

Mike.
Thanks! Seems i missed that brass bushing And also new shaft if is about one millimeter shorter than the old one. Oh well
Meska is offline Find More Posts by Meska