HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 16, 2011, 11:01 PM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,157 Posts
Sorry Mike, I didn't mean to offend bro. I just wanted to bring to light the mod only gets you half way to the desired result. Not to promote the frame itself as a priority. And $45????? I would still be using plastic with a CF stiffener also!!!
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Sorry Mike, I didn't mean to offend bro. I just wanted to bring to light the mod only gets you half way to the desired result. Not to promote the frame itself as a priority. And $45????? I would still be using plastic with a CF stiffener also!!!
No offense taken. And for the record there is NO CF flat stock on this mod. Simply just another piece of plastic CA'd to another piece of plastic. What can be more simpler for the poor folk (just $4.30) who cannot afford $45.00 for a CF frame (BTW, I don't smoke Sven)???? For those of you who do have deep pockets and CAN afford such luxuries....I say again, God Bless'em...more power to you. This mod was geared toward people like myself...keep it cheap, or more appropriately...the KISS method

BTW, I have already said that this mod is geared toward "outside flight" more so than just inside hovering because of hard fast maneuvering. I don't know how you all missed that part

Cheers,
Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; May 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling as usual
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 09:54 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
frieslander's Avatar
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
No offense taken. And for the record there is NO CF flat stock on this mod. Simply just another piece of plastic CA'd to another piece of plastic. What can be more simpler for the poor folk (just $4.30) who cannot afford $45.00 for a CF frame (BTW, I don't smoke Sven)???? For those of you who do have deep pockets and CAN afford such luxuries....I say again, God Bless'em...more power to you. This mod was geared toward people like myself...keep it cheap, or more appropriately...the KISS method

BTW, I have already said that this mod is geared toward "outside flight" more so that just inside hovering because of hard fast maneuvering. I don't know how you all missed that part

Cheers,
Mike.
Hi Mike:

The KISS method = Keep It Simple Sweetie am I right?

I know the feeling, you make a mod and everyone wants to pick it to pieces. I had someone attacking me on the Solo Pro forums when I just suggested what I had in mind to do, let alone do it. Thank God he left the forums!

I have also heard somewhere in the past about re-inforcing the mast on these frames to make them stiffer. Ever thought about that?

I still say, Nice Mod Mike!

Durk
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,560 Posts
I don't think anyone here would dare question Mike's mod. Just want to understand it fully before doing it too. At least that is why I asked. I think it is a great idea. Good show ole Chap. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 12:00 PM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Hi Mike:

The KISS method = Keep It Simple Sweetie am I right?

I know the feeling, you make a mod and everyone wants to pick it to pieces. I had someone attacking me on the Solo Pro forums when I just suggested what I had in mind to do, let alone do it. Thank God he left the forums!

I have also heard somewhere in the past about re-inforcing the mast on these frames to make them stiffer. Ever thought about that?

I still say, Nice Mod Mike!

Durk
SOLO PRO?!!!! Who gives a rip about some stupid SOLO PRO?!!!!!! This is an Esky Lama 4 forum, buster! Hey, everybody has an opinion just like a certain body part. They ALL stink. You didn't mean SOLO PRO, did you? Take it back before I report you!!!!!!
I still haven't seen anything about Buzzzzzzzzzz's Osprey. I don't think he really has one.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 12:46 PM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Hi Mike:



I have also heard somewhere in the past about re-inforcing the mast on these frames to make them stiffer. Ever thought about that?

I still say, Nice Mod Mike!

Durk
I also looked at reinforcing the mast, other than adding a two part composite at the base of it (which only helps a small amount). There was simply no other way to do this comprehensively. I even looked at making my own base. And also looked at adding a CF forward plate that utilized the 4 skid stub mounts (cost $1) but abandoned both ideas since no one was in the least interested in putting that much labor into one of these.
I then had a firm heart attack when forking out the $$$ for a CF frame. Oddly the cost of the esky frame should be exactly the same as the eflite frame since the machining variances between the two are virtually nil.
This was the sole reason for me to vtail the CX instead of the esky!
In fact I probably have enough parts right now to build a fully modded esky.
The CF platform took a huge bite out of my budget but I am glad I did it. I looked at these same issues when building my 450 size coax. The Bol and 400d cf frames were just ridiculously priced into the Just stupid territory.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 02:44 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
frieslander's Avatar
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
SOLO PRO?!!!! Who gives a rip about some stupid SOLO PRO?!!!!!! This is an Esky Lama 4 forum, buster! Hey, everybody has an opinion just like a certain body part. They ALL stink. You didn't mean SOLO PRO, did you? Take it back before I report you!!!!!!
I still haven't seen anything about Buzzzzzzzzzz's Osprey. I don't think he really has one.
Why does the above post sound like it came from a cross between a horse and a donkey??? I was so glad that other idiot left the forums.

Opinions I can stand but not someone who hits you over the head with a sledge everytime you suggest something, UGH! He evem had the gal to PM me and continue his critticism!

Now if that Kodiak Jack Bear wants to bug me about mentioning the Solo Pro on this forum, bring it on!!!!

Thanks Kodak Jack, you made me smile!

Yes I don't know why Buzz did not get back with the Osprey, maybe the Road Runner bashed him under a rock and he is still trying to get out!
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Cabman:

Thanks for the pictures and the pattern, I have saved them, you have given me lots of ideas.

Durk
Hey cabman, I saved them as well. I'll be doing more colors but this is all I could find today at Kmart. Ha, ha...It matches my red Phase II blades that I dug out for the pictures of your most beautiful canopy pattern. Man-O-Man, you Da Man

I think she will love the cooling effect. I don't care about protection. Who needs protection when your a good pilot I can't wait to try this new DIY canopy. I think she will dive nicely on a "bump ditty" maneuver. We shall see

Many thanks to cabman
Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 10:45 PM
Visit My Blog
Stamp's Avatar
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Wow, that looks great Mike. Turn the tailfin 180 degrees.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 11:21 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Wow, that looks great Mike. Turn the tailfin 180 degrees.
Jim
Why In many models the tail fin is facing upward while some are downward. I really think a preference of looks..hence facing upward.

What say you all about the tail fin. Larger section facing up or down?

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 05:41 AM
Registered User
cabman1969's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Hey Mike,
Thank you and your heli looks really good. The blades are a close match. I did modify the pattern slightly to give a little more clearance the front of the swashplate area. Ill try to post a revision.

I say do what you want with the tail fin. Yours looks good! I wanted original as well so I came up with the double design I used on mine. I like it.

Tim. (cabinetmaker-Not cab driver)
cabman1969 is offline Find More Posts by cabman1969
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 05:51 AM
Registered User
nasgul's Avatar
United Kingdom, Wales, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Hey cabman, I saved them as well. I'll be doing more colors but this is all I could find today at Kmart. Ha, ha...It matches my red Phase II blades that I dug out for the pictures of your most beautiful canopy pattern. Man-O-Man, you Da Man

I think she will love the cooling effect. I don't care about protection. Who needs protection when your a good pilot I can't wait to try this new DIY canopy. I think she will dive nicely on a "bump ditty" maneuver. We shall see

Many thanks to cabman
Mike.
looks great mike, think cabman has started off a new army of clones of his black max, making one up myself for my newly purchased 4 project! although i will try a y-fin on my one
nasgul is offline Find More Posts by nasgul
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 06:06 AM
Registered User
cabman1969's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Well so much for an original!........ LOL
cabman1969 is offline Find More Posts by cabman1969
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 06:17 AM
Registered User
nasgul's Avatar
United Kingdom, Wales, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
very true tim, lol, but think of it like this, its a form of flattery
but your black max will always be the "first". kinda like darwins theory of evolution, life evolves to its specific climate, and improves itself. just like these little helis..... lol
nasgul is offline Find More Posts by nasgul
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 06:44 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Why does the above post sound like it came from a cross between a horse and a donkey??? I was so glad that other idiot left the forums.

Opinions I can stand but not someone who hits you over the head with a sledge everytime you suggest something, UGH! He evem had the gal to PM me and continue his critticism!

Now if that Kodiak Jack Bear wants to bug me about mentioning the Solo Pro on this forum, bring it on!!!!

Thanks Kodak Jack, you made me smile!

Yes I don't know why Buzz did not get back with the Osprey, maybe the Road Runner bashed him under a rock and he is still trying to get out!
I've ventured into the Walkera world as well as the Eflite one. I couldn't blame anybody for trying something other than Esky. They've let the competition walk all over them lately. If Solo Pro floats your boat (YES, it has rained here and will continue to rain even more), then enjoy it.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Lama parts. Xtreme tial/blades/etc. GFBurke Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Feb 14, 2007 04:58 PM
Found WANTED: CORONA PARTS , NEW, USED, UPGRADES, etc... setting up for Nephew kookboy Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Jan 07, 2007 01:26 AM