SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:11 PM
Spokane, WA
Joined Oct 2003
173 Posts
Servo arm mod

Hey all,
I just did the servo arm mod to give me more directional control over my lama v4. Seems to be working ok except I'm getting blade strikes now and think I need to go to the extended shaft. Is this the one I need:
http://helidirect.com/xtreme-extende...al-p-18691.hdx

and do I need anything else other then the extended shaft? I have been trying to wade through all 500 or so pages of this thread but lots of info seem contradictory. Would love to know where to get a good set of landing skids as I have broken mine and repaired them with epoxy and tightly wrapped thread 3 or 4 times. Seems in order to get what I want for this chopper you need to order from 3 or so different sites but helidirect seems the best so far. So far I have upgraded to an aluminum inner shaft but it wasn't longer and I've started using the extreme blades. I'm trying to make this thing more outdoor flight worthy because in even a slight wind I never had enough forward or sideways movement to make any progress against it. I've thought of doing the extreme tail and landing assembly upgrades but 40 dollars is almost half of what I payed for this whole kit. Thoughts?
thanks for any help,
Greg
gkjake is offline Find More Posts by gkjake
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:50 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,251 Posts
Next, clip the ends off your flybar and shorten it by adding new flybar weights. Don't buy the extreme skids, just use some cheap ones off a trex 250 or 450. They sell for $5 on fleabay and work perfectly. If you are going to go with an aftermarket tail go with a modded Xtreme boom mount for $3.50 and build your own with some cf rod and trex 250 fins. Ask kodac jack how he did his. Or use the B4 sold at boomtown. Also two guys here on the forum can supply you with and extended shaft. Lee the treeguy and Sven who owns helideluxe. Both shafts work. The shaft head combo at helideluxe works. But the extension is all in the head. The shaft is stock in length.
Edit: sorry E! Helidirect!
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Apr 30, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 02:37 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
The shaft head combo at helideluxe works. But the extension is all in the head. The shaft is stock in length.
Only for the record: I do not have any shaft/head combos where the extension is achieved by a longer head ... that is what the guys from Xtreme do!!

E2
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:02 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,251 Posts
Sorry E! I corrected my mental fubar.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:18 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Heres what I use, only because I don't like the extended head on a stock shaft. (they tend to bend the inner shaft pretty easy)
http://flyrcrivesud.com/upgrade_parts11.html
thier gears are tough as nails too
I know these are CX2 parts but they should work on a lama (I think)
RIGHT?
OTTOFLYS is offline Find More Posts by OTTOFLYS
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
Heres what I use, only because I don't like the extended head on a stock shaft. (they tend to bend the inner shaft pretty easy)
http://flyrcrivesud.com/upgrade_parts11.html
thier gears are tough as nails too
I know these are CX2 parts but they should work on a lama (I think)
RIGHT?
theoreticallly ...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 03:31 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkjake View Post
Hey all,
I just did the servo arm mod to give me more directional control over my lama v4. Seems to be working ok except I'm getting blade strikes now and think I need to go to the extended shaft. Is this the one I need:
http://helidirect.com/xtreme-extende...al-p-18691.hdx

and do I need anything else other then the extended shaft? I have been trying to wade through all 500 or so pages of this thread but lots of info seem contradictory. Would love to know where to get a good set of landing skids as I have broken mine and repaired them with epoxy and tightly wrapped thread 3 or 4 times. Seems in order to get what I want for this chopper you need to order from 3 or so different sites but helidirect seems the best so far. So far I have upgraded to an aluminum inner shaft but it wasn't longer and I've started using the extreme blades. I'm trying to make this thing more outdoor flight worthy because in even a slight wind I never had enough forward or sideways movement to make any progress against it. I've thought of doing the extreme tail and landing assembly upgrades but 40 dollars is almost half of what I payed for this whole kit. Thoughts?
thanks for any help,
Greg
I used this boom bracket:
Xtreme tail boom bracket xtpbcx011 $3.90 Boyz Toyz
I had an aluminum boom from King 2 that I cut to suit. You can do that with a CF tube as well.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 01, 2011, 08:34 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,322 Posts
Jack, clean up your work bench BTW, I use my Altoids metal box to keep my Hyperion EOS Sentry battey tester inside with some paper towel lining. Works great when I have to transport everything to the hall to fly. Keeps it nice and cozy and safe

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old May 01, 2011, 09:19 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Jack, clean up your work bench BTW, I use my Altoids metal box to keep my Hyperion EOS Sentry battey tester inside with some paper towel lining. Works great when I have to transport everything to the hall to fly. Keeps it nice and cozy and safe

Mike.
Sorry Mike but clean work benches are for people who do not know how to use the tools they buy. A messy work bench is the sign of a busy man who has lots to do.

Sitting there again cleaning yer navel with the brush Patti gave you for Christmas?

Sorry Mike, I needed someone to pick on! Hope you are well today bud.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old May 01, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,188 Posts
just have to share this, even if it doesnt really belong here ... (but another member was kind enough to share this on my blog ... ...)

So anyway, this is the V4 thread, and as I am pretty close to starting this project, here is my question:

WHAT do you get, if you "marry" an LM180 and a V4 (ie the rotor assembly and electronics from the LM180 and the rest a V4 or upgrades for it ??
(and please, nobody go and tell me "a better heli " ...)

So, what are you guys thoughts?

(I will start this, once I get one more package in the mail that seems to just not get dispatched from China for the love of anything ... It is listed as dropped off for a couple of days now, but it does not show any new update, which suggests it is still laying around somewhere over there ... ...)

E2
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 10:04 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
just have to share this, even if it doesnt really belong here ... (but another member was kind enough to share this on my blog ... ...)

So anyway, this is the V4 thread, and as I am pretty close to starting this project, here is my question:

WHAT do you get, if you "marry" an LM180 and a V4 (ie the rotor assembly and electronics from the LM180 and the rest a V4 or upgrades for it ??
(and please, nobody go and tell me "a better heli " ...)

So, what are you guys thoughts?

(I will start this, once I get one more package in the mail that seems to just not get dispatched from China for the love of anything ... It is listed as dropped off for a couple of days now, but it does not show any new update, which suggests it is still laying around somewhere over there ... ...)

E2
I would call it a Walking Esky and hope it flies!

I am having the same problem, my order states "Passed Customs" for the past 4 days. That must be a long pass!
Old May 02, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Sorry Mike but clean work benches are for people who do not know how to use the tools they buy. A messy work bench is the sign of a busy man who has lots to do.

Sitting there again cleaning yer navel with the brush Patti gave you for Christmas?

Sorry Mike, I needed someone to pick on! Hope you are well today bud.
Nothing or nobody can ruffle my feathers today. In fact, today is the happiest day of my life since 9/11/2001

God Bless our Navy Seals and the brave men and women serving our country

Mike.
Old May 02, 2011, 09:34 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,808 Posts
Yes I can see you are in good spirits today!

Yes they caught the devil but I think that the others will try to avenge his death. That is the problem with a fanatic, they just don't know when to stop.

I miss the old days when we did not have so many of these problems.
Old May 02, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,855 Posts
Just remember at election time that it was the Seals who did that and not the guy who is going to take credit for it!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 02, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Yes I can see you are in good spirits today!

Yes they caught the devil but I think that the others will try to avenge his death. That is the problem with a fanatic, they just don't know when to stop.

I miss the old days when we did not have so many of these problems.
And our brave men and women will take care of them in the same manner. BTW, I like the old days when warriors wore uniforms and our enemy didn't hide under dress's

Mike.