HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Good morning Guys. AN FYI. I'd like to pass off some info regarding Esky parts (especially V4 parts). Sonny and I paid a visit to Helidirect yesterday and spoke to Dave at customer service as we both wanted to stock up on hard to get parts for our V4. Dave assured us that Esky is alive and well. They are having trouble meeting demands for parts mainly because of lack of employees (anyone need a job in China?). ALSO...and this is a big "ALSO." I expressed that the Eflight 120sr can be had for much cheaper money at another vendor. At that point Dave showed us something very interesting. So, the next time you go on their site looking for any items (especially new helis) it will show you the map price. For instance we have a map price for the 120sr BNF at $149.99 at helidirect http://helidirect.com/eflite-blade-1...80-p-20283.hdx. Now, click that item and put it in your basket like you were gonna buy it....SHAZAM !!! The price is now $129.99. Because of this, I explained to Dave that he should contact Larry and put the "real" price right on the front page. I told Dave to tell Larry he had no idea how many customers helidirect could be driving away doing this type of advertisement.

So, the bottom line, ladies and germs, the next time you are pricing a heli at helidirect, click it and put it in your basket like you were gonna buy to reveal the "REAL" price.

Is this stupid or what??? Please feel free to contact them if you feel the same way.

Mike.
Good Lord, Mike, maybe the Bills are going to win the freakin Super Bowl this year because, for once, I AGREE with you!!!!!!!! What an idiotic idea. Is there a woman running that place?!!!!!!!!!!! Who in the world would know that? Their prices can tend to be a little pricey at times and something like this will drive customers away.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:17 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,622 Posts
this is not the idea of a woman running the place ...

... its the idea of a thing called MAP (or like Mike said 'map' - price): For all who don't know what that means ...
... it means the vendor is per manufacturer(!!!) NOT ALLOWED to advertise a lower price than this (hence the name MAP or Minimum Advertised Price.)

So even if helidirect would WANT TO, as long as EFlite gives them a MAP of 149.95$, they are NOT ALLOWED to advertise the heli for less, or they will get in trouble with EFlite (which is probably not the best of ideas)

I guess EFlite wont care if it drives away customers from helidirect, as long as THEY make their money ... but that is the perk of being one of the big dogs ...

So, next time before calling vendors stupid (or even worse indicating it might be a gender specific issue) I recommend a trip into the customs of selling heli stuff (it helps - and I think to remember having mentioned that before ...)

E2
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
this is not the idea of a woman running the place ...

... its the idea of a thing called MAP (or like Mike said 'map' - price): For all who don't know what that means ...
... it means the vendor is per manufacturer(!!!) NOT ALLOWED to advertise a lower price than this (hence the name MAP or Minimum Advertised Price.)

So even if helidirect would WANT TO, as long as EFlite gives them a MAP of 149.95$, they are NOT ALLOWED to advertise the heli for less, or they will get in trouble with EFlite (which is probably not the best of ideas)

I guess EFlite wont care if it drives away customers from helidirect, as long as THEY make their money ... but that is the perk of being one of the big dogs ...

So, next time before calling vendors stupid (or even worse indicating it might be a gender specific issue) I recommend a trip into the customs of selling heli stuff (it helps - and I think to remember having mentioned that before ...)

E2
It is still stupid and I said nothing of gender. So, the regular Joe shopping for a heli should know all about this MAP pricing huh? STUPID...I stick to my guns on this issue. The big dogs (as you put it) should be shot. This is beginning to feel like a friggin' back stabbing hobby

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,622 Posts
Quote:
It is still stupid and I said nothing of gender. So, the regular Joe shopping for a heli should know all about this MAP pricing huh? STUPID...I stick to my guns on this issue. The big dogs (as you put it) should be shot. This is beginning to feel like a friggin' back stabbing hobby

Mike.
italics: Did I say that you did? If anybody asked me, I would deny that ...
as far as MAP - yes, you are right the average Joe should know about it ... in fact the average Joe can know about it ... just most average Joe's couldn't care less (that is at least how it looks like ...)

What I said is "see that you are informed and dont blame it on the vendors - it is (for once ...) not their fault. Try to visualize how many times I answered to posts where I said "guys, get some more info about how the "rc industry" really works before posting certain stuff" (Actually the guy at helidirect should have been able to explain the whole MAP stuff exactly to you ... and even more so have done it ...)

As long as the vendors dont "play with open cards" in regards to their restrictions, a lot of these baseless prejudices on how which people are ripping off who by charging too high prices will prevail ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,383 Posts
I will blame it on the vendors for these kind of selling tactics. It sucks...plain and simple. I don't need a whole run down of how the rc business is run. This sucks. Why can't you just admit to that. I "MUST" know how to put something in the "Buy it Basket" to get a real price???? I should know all about the "MAP" pricing thing??? This is BS ...again, plain and simple. C'mon

Why don't you put the blame where it should go...on the vendors. Not the buyers. SHEEESH!!

Mike.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,383 Posts
I'm done with this subject....I had enough aggravation for one day. Thank you very much
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,622 Posts
Quote:
I will blame it on the vendors for these kind of selling tactics. It sucks...plain and simple. I don't need a whole run down of how the rc business is run. This sucks. Why can't you just admit to that. I "MUST" know how to put something in the "Buy it Basket" to get a real price???? I should know all about the "MAP" pricing thing??? This is BS ...again, plain and simple. C'mon

Why don't you put the blame where it should go...on the vendors. Not the buyers. SHEEESH!!

Mike.
Again, this is not a "selling tactic", it is actually their (only as far as I am aware of) way to trying to do you (ie the buyer) something good (ie offering a [comparably] cheap heli) without being dragged to court by EFlite for it.
If it is something else for you (that starts with B...) I guess so be it ... Yeah, it sucks, but would you rather have them sell the stuff for the price EFlite tells them they have to advertise it for? Probably they really should keep those 20$ difference
If there is blame that should go anywhere (from the buyers' point of view) it should go to the manufacturer who sets the MAP

just my 2cents ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,118 Posts
Quote:
Only that could happen to you Buzz
You're probably right! lol I really have done some stupid and funny things with helicopters. I have a CP 450. I've had it for a year. It's been "flown" 3 times. Actually, I've never gotten it off the ground without crashing. Even with training wheels. I can fly almost anything else... but the 450 is just a weird bird to me.

Edit: Wow.... quite a heated discussion above. My response to the MAP thing won't matter much in a couple of years. China's economy is just about to take over the USA. The USA has been the "Super Power" of the world since..... 1880. China is about to overtake us. So, I imagine you're going to see a lot more price changes from their vendors. If we don't want to pay....what do they care? We outsourced almost everything in this country to China. Is there even anyone in the USA who manufactures r/c helicopters? The Chinese population will have more money to spend, so China will sell more to their own country.... while our economy keeps going into the dumpster. Are we even going to be able to afford Chinese made r/c stuff?
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Last edited by Buzz; Apr 26, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Ok, so .. while trying to find out the cause of vibrations, i decided to check the outer shaft. The problem... the screw that holds it is so tight, that i cannot get it off. Lubing didn't help... any ideas how to unscrew it?
Meska is offline Find More Posts by Meska
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:43 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meska View Post
Ok, so .. while trying to find out the cause of vibrations, i decided to check the outer shaft. The problem... the screw that holds it is so tight, that i cannot get it off. Lubing didn't help... any ideas how to unscrew it?
If you have a small watt soldering iron (40watt at Radio Shack for about 12 bucks) with a pointed tip, put a little heat on it for a few minutes. Putting the outer shaft in a small vise is also helpful. If you don't have a soldering iron, try heating up the screwdriver with a lighter, put it on the screw. You may have to do this several times. CAUTION: watch the rotation while putting pressure on that screw. If you don't have a vise, it will spin on you and the screwdriver will end up in your hand...pointy side first...OUCH So, grasp the outer shaft with some pliers.

BTW, they do make better upper collars with 1.5mm grub screws.

Mike.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:59 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,005 Posts
Quote:
If you have a small watt soldering iron (40watt at Radio Shack for about 12 bucks) with a pointed tip, put a little heat on it for a few minutes. Putting the outer shaft in a small vise is also helpful. If you don't have a soldering iron, try heating up the screwdriver with a lighter, put it on the screw. You may have to do this several times. CAUTION: watch the rotation while putting pressure on that screw. If you don't have a vise, it will spin on you and the screwdriver will end up in your hand...pointy side first...OUCH So, grasp the outer shaft with some pliers.

Mike.
Agreed! Although I would use some cloth while gripping the head in the pliers so you don't marr it up. And they make collars with dual 1.5mm grubs. If you hold the lighter there long enough you can usually see the threadlock melt and start creeping out. That is when you need to make your move.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,383 Posts
Quote:

Mike.
The key word here was "plural." Also, if you hold an open flame (IE: lighter) close enough to that "plastic" frame it will melt and or warp that part were the bearing would seat! That would not be a good thing.

Mike.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,118 Posts
Quote:
The key word here was "plural." Also, if you hold an open flame (IE: lighter) close enough to that "plastic" frame it will melt and or warp that part were the bearing would seat! That would not be a good thing.

Mike.
Hi Mike,

Is this a set screw in the collar? I guess I'm a bit confused by people talking about using a screwdriver instead of a hex wrench to take out a set screw (grub screw). If it is a hex wrench... hold the wrench with pliers and then hold it over a candle until it's pretty hot, then (still holding with pliers) insert it in the screw socket for a few seconds... and then just unscrew it. Or am I still confused? lol

Buzz
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:21 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Hi Mike,

Is this a set screw in the collar? I guess I'm a bit confused by people talking about using a screwdriver instead of a hex wrench to take out a set screw (grub screw). If it is a hex wrench... hold the wrench with pliers and then hold it over a candle until it's pretty hot, then (still holding with pliers) insert it in the screw socket for a few seconds... and then just unscrew it. Or am I still confused? lol

Buzz
Meska is trying to remove the phillips head screw from the top collar
http://www.hobby-wing.com/ek1-0324.html

This can be a royal PITA. This was the reason I went to a Skytec collar that has 2- 1.5MM GRUB SCREWS HOLDING IT IN PLACE The same 1.5mm hex that holds our blades in place and custom flybar weights in place.

BTW Meska You will need this. I pass this off to all the newbs. Don't forget to put it in faves:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=69665

Mike.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:19 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
10,118 Posts
Quote:
Meska is trying to remove the phillips head screw from the top collar
http://www.hobby-wing.com/ek1-0324.html

This can be a royal PITA. This was the reason I went to a Skytec collar that has 2- 1.5MM GRUB SCREWS HOLDING IT IN PLACE The same 1.5mm hex that holds our blades in place and custom flybar weights in place.

BTW Meska You will need this. I pass this off to all the newbs. Don't forget to put it in faves:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=69665

Mike.
Ok, my mistake. But, the head on both of those screws stays on the outside of that collar. Even with them screwed all the way in, you should be able to grab the screw head with a pair of pliers. I stripped out the head in one of mine and used a regular pair of pliers ... grabbed the head of the screw with the tips of the pliers and broke the screw loose. Might try that if you can get hold of them.