HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:12 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
I guess you and I know Mike quite well! He has his mind on you know what!
Au contraire...it is you little piggies that have your mind in the gutter

Rawfuls, close your young eyes

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:52 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,763 Posts
Happy Easter!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:19 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,181 Posts
Happy Easter all...

Mike.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:34 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
happy easter guys
nasgul is offline Find More Posts by nasgul
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:05 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,827 Posts
May you all experience Peace, Love, and joy today. Happy Easter!!!
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:37 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
May you as well Sir!

EDIT:
and of course to all you guys as well - that I didnt explicitly say it doesnt mean I didnt mean it ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Apr 24, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:41 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,672 Posts
Happy Easter to you all and may you all have a Blessed and happy day.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Rawfuls, Jack, Helidirect changed their website some months ago last year. Larry must have gotten tired of me calling him all the time asking when a certain part was due in. They now say "ETA" on all the helis/parts that are out of stock.

Mike.
Okay, that does make sense, gave me some false hope there!
For my FP (Which I'm REALLY starting to like) I'm going to be grabbing some very expensive Xtreme upgrades (head) and shafts, which is gonna put me out $50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
What is WRONG with you?!!!!! This is a family site and kids like Rawfuls come on here!!!!!!!! That bouncing action drives me nuts!!!!!!!!!!! Wait, were you talking heli's or ...
Yeah man! Watch your fingers when you type!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Esky's site is still active. I just bought a Dauphin coast guard heli from them cheaply.
I still think they are the best for the money. Try esky.com

I have also had a blast with the Big Lama. But, it's just like any other chinese made h eli.
When you order it.... buy some parts.
I don't think "esky.com" is their actual website.
I believe their real website is - www.twf-sz.com - I'm pretty sure it's all around the box & manual.

But maybe esky.com is also their secondary?

I do believe they're still selling out their last of stock though..
Wonder what happened to them, maybe EFlight bought em out!?

In any news, I sort of, believe, that my top end of the shaft (inner) is somewhat bent, and the flybar is probably also.

Perhaps this is what's causing my incredible unstable-ness on it?

The lamav4 is a mess, compared to my FP, I actually, kind of hate it.

One day, maybe during the summer, I'll disassemble the entire thing, and give it some love once more, that'll be the last straw!

Though, to be honest, I do think it's going to end up in another member's hands! It's just.. kind of boring flying that thing around...

What is the flybar that everybody is using?

My current setup on it, is that aftermarket flybar w/ the adjustable weights (normal length).. I think I heard of people shortening them, wise or unwise?

Metal head, plastic grips, metal swash..
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
I guess the question if flying around with a lama has to be boring, depends on quite a few things (as I never go outside, I cant really speak for "outdoor fun", but indoors it does not need to be boring) ... here are a few things you could do ...

(this is how I started out)
http://www.rcline.tv/video/1285/mein...r--heli--movie

this is not a lama, but I am sure it can be done with the Lama as well:
(the mod that is not mentioned in thread THAT horribly often is to actually shorten the shafts (to decrease the rotor plane distance ... well, was a fun experiment but is maybe not completely suitable for "everyday use" ...)

http://www.rcline.tv/video/2403/cx3-...plane-distance

Anyway, just some ideas against "boringness" ...

Oh, and is it "wise" to shorten a flybar?? I guess a so much other stuff this is pretty much in the eye of the beholder, however the shorter flybar (the heli in the vid has 70mm flybar rods, so the total length is about 150mm from one end to the other [once installed]) will definitely increase your agility, stop the porpoising (self-stabilizing) and may help decrease blade strikes ... but it will also make the heli more difficult to control - then again, that should help against boring as well ...

E2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Apr 24, 2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: forgot the link ... duhhh ...
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,181 Posts
OK Ernie

rawfuls, This is what an outdoor V4 should look like....OR resemble anyway for any decent flight. I just got done replacing the frame that your's truly busted up This is my friend's V4 (blade stiffeners will be going on top blade grip). None-the-less, mine is set up pretty much the same. I will post pictures of mine when I complete the swap to my new frame.
Mike.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:36 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
I thought we all ditched the metal blade holders because of a reason?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:39 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I guess the question if flying around with a lama has to be boring, depends on quite a few things (as I never go outside, I cant really speak for "outdoor fun", but indoors it does not need to be boring) ... here are a few things you could do ...

(this is how I started out)
http://www.rcline.tv/video/1285/mein...r--heli--movie

this is not a lama, but I am sure it can be done with the Lama as well:
(the mod that is not mentioned in thread THAT horribly often is to actually shorten the shafts (to decrease the rotor plane distance ... well, was a fun experiment but is maybe not completely suitable for "everyday use" ...)

http://www.rcline.tv/video/2403/cx3-...plane-distance

Anyway, just some ideas against "boringness" ...

Oh, and is it "wise" to shorten a flybar?? I guess a so much other stuff this is pretty much in the eye of the beholder, however the shorter flybar (the heli in the vid has 70mm flybar rods, so the total length is about 150mm from one end to the other [once installed]) will definitely increase your agility, stop the porpoising (self-stabilizing) and may help decrease blade strikes ... but it will also make the heli more difficult to control - then again, that should help against boring as well ...

E2
Holy crap! That first link... that sucker was moving fast!
I could definitely never do that.
Now I have something to aim for!

Okay, I'm gonna be trying to straighten out the flybar (what's everybody method on that, by the way), inner shaft, and give it a try.

Then probably shorten, since I could never get it to do forward flight for longer than 2 seconds...
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:45 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post
We all ditch very specific metal blade holders for a reason ... ... namely the ones that come in those cheapo china kits (and all the ones that are [i will not understand even why] sold individually for much more than the price of the kits, because those are really total crap - to most everybody's personal experience).
However, the Xtreme alu grips or some of the microhelis (those blue ones in the picture) did not cause the same trouble (in particular the Xtreme grips were look at rather favorably from the people I know who use(d) them). And since Xtreme discontinued them, you could add the CF/Delrin composit grip, but it has to be modded a bit to achieve this ...

Anyway, as far as metal grips go the following (applied on them) counts more than anything ... "... not all animals are created equal ..."

People just keep on complaining and "bothering" about the "weight issue" of aluminum (which is not an issue at all in my eyes, but that is only MY personal opinion and most people disagree with me)

Find a good metal grip for the lower (for the upper plastic grips - maybe with stiffener as Chap1012 suggests - basically are fine) or take a Delrin or Plastic grip with stiffener there (too), as it gives some more cyclic authority/crisper control and go from there ...

Get the hardest (ie least flexible) blades you can find for outside, shorten your flybar to about 6.5 inch total length ..... there are quite a few (not tooo extremely expensive mods that can be done ...) and get the boring out of Lama ...

E2
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:50 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
i think the weight issue concerns indoors use i would imagine, as if you make something too light and take it outside, one little puff of wind and its gone!
with my little lama, it copes reasonably well outside, but again needs more done to it for proper outdoors abuse. i shortened my stock flybar for that purpose (6 inch total length), for tests, until i find a better flybar to use.
i think with my lamas, if something better can be got for it that weighs less than stock, then great, but if it weighs slightly more than stock, well its just the way it has to be. but thats me,
nasgul is offline Find More Posts by nasgul
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post
The lower rotor grip was a gift from leethetreeguy when my friend bought the Skytec lower rotor. I couldn't convince my freind to take it off. So, we left it on. Lee told me it was a good one. CNC grips are always no good on the top rotor...especially the cheapos that you get off fleabay.

Sven, I thought for sure you would show the young Lad the vid you posted of your heli flying CW backwards and then you hit the support column and into the empty box it went...too funny

Mike.