HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2008, 05:29 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
I keep reading about flybars flinging off.. Are they coming off just flying around / hovering or are you crashing when they come off. Mine seems pretty sturdy, it only comes off in a crash. That would suck if they just randomly fling off while flying.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:22 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2001
9 Posts
Just got my lama v4 and I anticipate some crashes in the near future. I have no local support part-wise.

I want to create a lama v4 first aid kit with the most common breakable parts already in my hand instead of crash wait a week, crash wait a week etc.

Anyone willing to give me some wisdom?

Thx
Nkl1 is offline Find More Posts by Nkl1
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:26 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn
I keep reading about flybars flinging off.. Are they coming off just flying around / hovering or are you crashing when they come off. Mine seems pretty sturdy, it only comes off in a crash. That would suck if they just randomly fling off while flying.

Mine has never flown off unless the blades hit something.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:35 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkl1
Just got my lama v4 and I anticipate some crashes in the near future. I have no local support part-wise.

I want to create a lama v4 first aid kit with the most common breakable parts already in my hand instead of crash wait a week, crash wait a week etc.

Anyone willing to give me some wisdom?

Thx
In order of likely use:
Batteries
Blades (Harden- 3 sets will last a long time, stock- figure one set every 3-4 flights, or Xtreme- one set last forever, but they are heavy. (I don't like them but some others do)
Blade holders
Shafts (innerand outer)
Body-canopy and tail section
Landing gear
Motors

The first three are needed for normal "service".
The second three are subject to damage in severe crashes.

Motors can be damaged if you do not shut down the throttle within seconds of the blades being stoped from turning. If you quickly shutdown and do not add weight to the heli the motors are good for hundereds of flights.

4 batteries and a second charger will allow a flight after each 20 min. cooldown.

It is good to keep a set or two of transmitter batteries on hand also.
Have Fun!
Don
Last edited by bz1mcr; Jan 04, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:55 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Mine has never flown off unless the blades hit something.
Mine also comes off only on impact and not every time.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Jan 04, 2008, 11:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
With all this talk of people using different TX's and the fact that my Lama V4 is now unflyable, is anybody interested in offloading a spare TX? I'm in Rochester, NY and I imagine that if you don't have the 72.120 crystals as I do, I'd need a crystal set with it, too. It's painful to see my lama sitting there unflyable and I'm hoping it's merely the TX and not some nefarious RX issue.
J.Williams

Do you have a local hobby shop that might help you diagnose your problem ?? If you do, take your lama to their shop and see if they'll let you try a TX from a display Lama(or maybe a brand new one). You can swap out the crystals from the display lama's TX and RX if you need to. Should just take a few minutes.

My local hobby shop is Hobby Lobby and they'd help me diagnose a problem like that in a heart beat. Hobby Lobby always has a display Lama sitting on the counter for anyone to pick up and fly.
rotorwing54 is offline Find More Posts by rotorwing54
Old Jan 04, 2008, 11:08 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Mine flew off in flight while make a fast left turn. Watch the video at 2min 12 secs into the video .... off it came. It usually only comes off at crashes, but has come off at least 2 times in 2 weeks in flight. Once was in the video, once was when I gave Snap Roll inputs (opps, this aint no fixed wing Acro model). I am not sure why I did that or what I was trying to do. I just did a fast left turn with nose down and tail up and before I knew it the fly bar was off. And all I can tell is that my mind went to snap roll Must be the darn 3D pilot in me

Another Lama Video (3 min 42 sec)
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Old Jan 04, 2008, 11:13 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
OH BTW, with the Xtreme Inner Shaft .... it dont come off no more.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 12:32 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
My original flybar didn't come off in flight at all, but it was quite loose and I could picture that happening some day. It would fall off after any kind of crash though, and I mean even if the heli just fell over on it's side from sitting upright, which got rather annoying. The machined one fits really sweet and runs smoother.

Gonna try it with the extended upper head next, see if my TBE comes back.

BTW, got the "harden" blades-- very nice. I like the performance much better than the Xtreme blades-- it's more responsive and lighter. They balanced easily enough, although the weights varied up to .2g between the 3 sets I have. I did have trouble getting the lower blades to track properly on the first try (bending the blades wasn't fixing it). I removed them and noticed the different blades have various amount of "up sweep" towards the tips-- some had more than others and the set I was trying to track varied considerably between the 2. I found a set that matched better, and those tracked fine w/out any further adjustment needed. Anybody want to buy 2 sets of Xtreme blades?

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 05, 2008, 01:09 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal
BTW, got the "harden" blades-- very nice. I like the performance much better than the Xtreme blades-- it's more responsive and lighter. They balanced easily enough, although the weights varied up to .2g between the 3 sets I have. I did have trouble getting the lower blades to track properly on the first try (bending the blades wasn't fixing it). I removed them and noticed the different blades have various amount of "up sweep" towards the tips-- some had more than others and the set I was trying to track varied considerably between the 2. I found a set that matched better, and those tracked fine w/out any further adjustment needed. Anybody want to buy 2 sets of Xtreme blades?

-Max
Yeah the harden blades are the best. mandatory upgrade. no sense in using anything but them in my opinion. i've got 20 "stock" type blades that don't fly straight at all.. they pretty much suck, and i have one set of xtremes and they are good but way to heavy and sluggish, and way too easy blade strikes with a stock setup. but yeah my lower blades aren't tracking perfectly but i don't notice any problem with it. I can land on a 4" x 4" square block and can and fly through the hallway and every other room in the house so nothing to be concerned about if you ask me.

I learned on a honeybee cp2 and always thought these lamas were too beginner-ish to buy one. but now that I have one, I love it because you dont have to worry about balancing or mantaining stability and you can just focus on manuevers and tricks. great learning tool. its a must have, one of these coaxials.. so much fun.

The canopys on the otherhand crack too easily. and the fiberglass one is freakin almost 40 bucks!

guess i just have to get used to having an ugly superglued canopy untill i never crash anymore.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Jan 05, 2008, 10:39 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,581 Posts
Quote:
Yeah the harden blades are the best. mandatory upgrade. no sense in using anything but them in my opinion. i've got 20 "stock" type blades that don't fly straight at all.. they pretty much suck, and i have one set of xtremes and they are good but way to heavy and sluggish, and way too easy blade strikes with a stock setup. but yeah my lower blades aren't tracking perfectly but i don't notice any problem with it. I can land on a 4" x 4" square block and can and fly through the hallway and every other room in the house so nothing to be concerned about if you ask me.

I learned on a honeybee cp2 and always thought these lamas were too beginner-ish to buy one. but now that I have one, I love it because you dont have to worry about balancing or mantaining stability and you can just focus on manuevers and tricks. great learning tool. its a must have, one of these coaxials.. so much fun.

The canopys on the otherhand crack too easily. and the fiberglass one is freakin almost 40 bucks!

guess i just have to get used to having an ugly superglued canopy untill i never crash anymore.
Yep, harden blades are the best!

I repair my canopy with clear tape. I put it on the inside when its possible.

Come on let's be honest, if you never crashed you would not be learning, and the great FUN would soon turn to boredom.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 10:50 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Oh agreed .... Hardens are Manditory. I actually got a little better control from the Xtremes - that is my forward flight with the Hardens still requires just a touch of right aileron to make it truely forward, but the Xtremes were too much of a sacrifice in other areas.

I have beat the crap out of the Hardens and they just keep on going.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 12:54 PM
Joined Nov 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
For anyone thats having problems with their stock flybar coming off of the stock rotor head, you can follow these instrux but at your own risk.

Remove the flybar and upper blade grips. Take a heat gun and heat the very end of the rotor head, the U shaped part that holds the flybar. Once heated, squeeze the U shaped end together slightly so that when the plastic cools, it'll have a better grip of the flybar when its reinstalled. Or, right after you heat it, reinstall the flybar and then squeeze the U shaped end together and hold it until it cools

If you dont have a heat gun, try a hair dryer. In fact, you might want to try a hair dryer first. Be very careful when doing this because there's a chance you could ruin the rotor head if you get it too hot and I'd only try it if you happen to have a spare inner shaft/rotor head.

I also had a friend install a short piece of tubing on top of the rotor head to help keep the flybar in place but the tubing wasnt on tight enough to prevent the tubing from coming off if it needs to.
rotorwing54 is offline Find More Posts by rotorwing54
Old Jan 05, 2008, 01:20 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Hey one other note

We have debated and wondered here if the TX that comes with the E-Sky Lama is a full range TX. And some have noted that the E-Sky site claims it is ....

Well I can tell you for sure that Mine IS NOT Full Range. We did a complete range check at the field today because I was going to use it to fly one of my park flyers. This is a very open club flying site that is an abandoned runway for full scale aircraft.

I first did an antenna down check. Could get no more than 30' away before glitching and no control. This is an indication of parkflyer range of around 500'. So I then had the guys hold the ParkFlyer E-Fight Mini Ultra Stick while I took off walking with the antenna fully extended. Could get out about 500-700 feet before lost total control and glitching. Up to that point it was rock solid and when I walked back in range, control returned immediately. I flew the plane, but kept it well within that range and all went well.

BUT I would not try to use this TX either as a substite cheap full range TX or fly your lama outside very far away without doing your own range tests and then staying well within those limits. Just not made for Full Range no matter what the E-Sky site says.

Mike
Old Jan 05, 2008, 01:42 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
Well I can tell you for sure that Mine IS NOT Full Range.
Not really that surprising I would say, since you get the heli, Tx, charger, battery, etc. etc. all for $100. I think it does good for what it was intended though.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang