HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:23 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
very true kodak. i just have this crazy idea brewing in my head, get one of these frames, coupled with xtreme tailboom, but rather than use the v4 xtreme skids and battery holder, maybe use trex 250 skids with v3 lama xtreme battery holder. (have a spare one in my spares box).
could be interesting.......
also have a gaui 200 canopy knocking around somewhere, and carbon tail fins......
nasgul is offline Find More Posts by nasgul
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:38 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasgul View Post
very true kodak. i just have this crazy idea brewing in my head, get one of these frames, coupled with xtreme tailboom, but rather than use the v4 xtreme skids and battery holder, maybe use trex 250 skids with v3 lama xtreme battery holder. (have a spare one in my spares box).
could be interesting.......
also have a gaui 200 canopy knocking around somewhere, and carbon tail fins......
On the Lama 400D thread, there's a guy who is interested in using a Hobby King 450 frame instead of the Walkera stuff because, to get where he's heading, 90% of the Walkera stuff is going in the junk pile. In this case, an HK 250 frame might work. IMHO, the Xtreme skids that look like a sleigh can easily be replaced by simple Indestructible skids. The battery tray usually gets modified into the bare basics to attach to the frame and then the infamous credit card mod. Just use a thin piece of any plastic and attach it to the guts of the battery tray. Add Velcro to the plastic and to your batteries and you can be light weight with some movement for better CG. The boom gets attached to the simple Xtreme bracket.
The advantage of the Xtreme frame, for the Lama 4 and the CX2, is rigidity. If you wanted better than stock bearings, I'm not sure if the aftermarket bearing housing will let you bore it out a little bigger for the larger OD. You know the plastic frame and bearing housing are out for that.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
thanks for the tips there kodak, shall sit on that and muse for a bit.....
still a back-of-ciggerette-pack idea at the moment, but i'll let you know how i get along! when it does, cue a-team tune, haha!
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:32 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,244 Posts
The 250 skids will work fabulously with little modding needed and are a great improvement over any esky/eflite upgrades offered. The Xtreme frame will seriously eliminate a whole horde of flexing a vibratory problems. Personally I went to 450 skids since the bulk of my flying is outside and I land on the grass. both KJ and I will recommend the Xtreme boom mount as it is perfect and will support a much lighter CF boom inserted into the middle of the boom mount.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:41 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
The 250 skids will work fabulously with little modding needed and are a great improvement over any esky/eflite upgrades offered. The Xtreme frame will seriously eliminate a whole horde of flexing a vibratory problems. Personally I went to 450 skids since the bulk of my flying is outside and I land on the grass. both KJ and I will recommend the Xtreme boom mount as it is perfect and will support a much lighter CF boom inserted into the middle of the boom mount.
There isn't any set length for that boom either. Remember, a coax will fly without a boom. On my CX2, I used a shortened aluminum boom left over from a King 2.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:08 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
thats an idea, saying that i do have some carbon tube left over from a load of gaui 200 spares i was given from a friends shed clear out. that may work after trimming down i think. when i pulled the box out i noticed the canopy was damaged, so out with the dremel to trim to size just as an experiment.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
co-comanche

well, the comanche hovers beautifully, so handed over to my mate today, completely over the moon! only needed slight tweaking, so all good. only problem is lack of movement due to too short servo arms, so need to sort longer ones for him methinks!

was having a rummage in his shed and found a carbon number plate, 2mm thick. begged, and got it! so can use some of this on next project
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Ok, so what do i need to get started flying outside?

I already have extended inner shaft and metal swashplate.

Was thinking about harder blades (xtreme) and shorter flybar. Anything else?
Meska is offline Find More Posts by Meska
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:15 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meska View Post
Ok, so what do i need to get started flying outside?

I already have extended inner shaft and metal swashplate.

Was thinking about harder blades (xtreme) and shorter flybar. Anything else?
My claim would be: more powerful motors!!

E2

(of course, that seems to imply" stronger gears, better bearings ... " - but just a thought and only my personal 2Cents)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
My claim would be: more powerful motors!!
Xtreme ones? or any others? And where to look for those better bearings?
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,823 Posts
Quote:
Xtreme ones? or any others? And where to look for those better bearings?
The Aero-Nutz motors are on their own site in Hong Kong or they can be had in the US from places like EBoyzToyz. The better bearings might come from Boca Bearings. They are a sponsor site here.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Hm.. bearings are rather expensive :/ Will stick to motors and see how that goes...
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:40 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Hm.. bearings are rather expensive :/ Will stick to motors and see how that goes...
Good plan, I have probably close to a 1000 flights and have very powerful 3cell brushless conversions with no bearing failures whatsoever so far. But I do take care of them. Also for outside flying you want to make sure you have a forward weight bias and move your servo links out to the 3rd hole. At that swash angle my swashes are ported in the center to allow greater swash angle before binding on the outer shaft. Another thing that is critical, shorten the flybar.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
otherwise....... clip, there's strike, splat!
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
as my friend discovered at 40 ft high!